ADVERTISEMENT

Which is your preference.

Which of these is your preference?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Which of these do you prefer? Five 5 star recruits by the best ranked position .

I'd take the 4 star recruits for 4 years please. Take our lumps in year one and then get better and better. We'd return 5 starters for 3 straight years.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
I picked the 5 stars. There is never any guarantee that players will improve, and you always want the best talent.

I did pick the five 4 stars. I'm just too old school. Love seniors and to have 5 of them together for 4 years you could end up with 2 maybe 3 nattys but not one guaranteed I know but like the chances. OFC

The 5 five stars give hope every year, but they won’t win it all. It’s just wash, rinse, and repeat with that formula. The 5 four stars will have a better chance after the first season.

I'm not sure they're a tease. The last NC Duke won was a team that was led by 3 freshmen 5-stars with a 4th that was extremely important in the postseason. It's certainly possible, and, like all NC teams, a lot needs to go right.

Reactions: jwill133
I'm not sure they're a tease. The last NC Duke won was a team that was led by 3 freshmen 5-stars with a 4th that was extremely important in the postseason. It's certainly possible, and, like all NC teams, a lot needs to go right.
True but that team also had Amile, Quinn and Matt, the optimum role players for the '15"team.The '17 team was a tease by far: Tatum, GilesJackson, Bolden,and the others on team didnt mesh well with the freshmen.Finally the '18 team and '19 team were teases because we relied probably TOO MUCH on freshmen. Adding one late didnt help chemistry in '18 either! OFC

Reactions: christophero
I'm burnt out on the one and done thing. Yeah we'll always be good but it seems like we'll never be good enough as we are too young. I know there's no easy answer but maybe not recruit more than one top ten guy, another top 20 guy or two, and target the rest of the top 20-60 guys. Yes the top 10 guy might be better offensively but he's gonna struggle in other areas and only be there one year. I just get tired of roster turnover every year. You want the top guys, but maybe not have all your recruits guys who clearly see themselves as one and done. I think this year's class is a step in that direction.

i"ll take the 5 5 stars. I want Duke to be the most exciting, most talked about, most visible team every year. If it ends badly, well, we did the best we could.

True but that team also had Amile, Quinn and Matt, the optimum role players for the '15"team.The '17 team was a tease by far: Tatum, GilesJackson, Bolden,and the others on team didnt mesh well with the freshmen.Finally the '18 team and '19 team were teases because we relied probably TOO MUCH on freshmen. Adding one late didnt help chemistry in '18 either! OFC

But, what makes those teams more of a tease than a starting lineup of 4* juniors or seniors that don't live up to expectations? I don't see any type of difference. In both circumstances, you're expecting to be a title favorite but don't get there. In fact, I think that team of 5* freshmen would be less of a disappointment because you expect freshmen to be inconsistent.

Also, as someone that doesn't agree with the late freshmen impacting chemistry, I believe Duke has had a number of veteran teams that lacked chemistry. Laettner/Hurley, JJ/Shelden, Paulus/others, were veteran teams that lacked chemistry with one pair having a lot of success. Personally, I think assuming that improvement and chemistry are automatic for players that stay 4 years is a mistake. But that's just my opinion.

It's a hard balancing act for sure. We have recruited for depth, but guys like Jeter, Thornton, Tucker and O'Connell have transferred when they don't get the PT. I just hate having 4 freshman starters, no matter how good they are. This year will be nice as we have 2 sophomores and a senior and a junior.

It's a hard balancing act for sure. We have recruited for depth, but guys like Jeter, Thornton, Tucker and O'Connell have transferred when they don't get the PT. I just hate having 4 freshman starters, no matter how good they are. This year will be nice as we have 2 sophomores and a senior and a junior.

Amen! OFC

Reactions: christophero
Context is everything here. Are the five-star guys an absolute sure thing like Deng, Parker, Okafor, Tatum, Bagley, Carter, RJ, Zion? Or are we looking at guys like Marques Bolden and Greg Paulus?
I guess if you phrase it as the “best player at each position in a given class,” than it would depend on the year. Some classes are loaded and some are not, this past years freshman class was weak nationally. The 2021-2022 freshman class is supposed to be insane.

Duke has won zero national titles without blending five star guys to four star guys, so I think K should keep doing what he’s doing. To think you can’t win with freshman based on the past 2 Duke tourney losses (2018 and 2019) is idiotic, 2 bounces of the ball different and Duke could have 7 titles.

Context is everything here. Are the five-star guys an absolute sure thing like Deng, Parker, Okafor, Tatum, Bagley, Carter, RJ, Zion? Or are we looking at guys like Marques Bolden and Greg Paulus?
I guess if you phrase it as the “best player at each position in a given class,” than it would depend on the year. Some classes are loaded and some are not, this past years freshman class was weak nationally. The 2021-2022 freshman class is supposed to be insane.

Duke has won zero national titles without blending five star guys to four star guys, so I think K should keep doing what he’s doing. To think you can’t win with freshman based on the past 2 Duke tourney losses (2018 and 2019) is idiotic, 2 bounces of the ball different and Duke could have 7 titles.

Well, Duke "could" have had titles in 1986, 1994,1998, 1999, 2002 and 2004 with a different bounce or two of the ball.

And it goes the other way too. Larry Johnson doesn't gag on that open shot in '91, Grant Hill throws another curve ball in 1992, Gordon Hayward, you get my drift.

That's what makes March Madness so great and so frustrating and so terrifying and so inspiring. Few teams win it all without a favorable bounce of the ball or two along the way.

Imo there is going to be a change in recruiting philosophies once the one and done s phased out.It will be interesting to see if the NBA continues to enhance the financial incentives to go to the developmental league

Guys like Coleman and Brakefield and Stewart, although Stewart may be a 5 star.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT