ADVERTISEMENT

What in the world happened to Vernon’s draft stock?

PixelDevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 16, 2016
Not even mad bro
I always like to keep up with mock drafts both to see where our guys are projected to go and who the sorry af Hornets are going to draft. I remember right around December and shortly after Christmas break, I was absolutely elated because veron was mocked to go to the hornets in the late lottery. I thought it was perfect, as he would be drafted high and the hornets would fill a position of need and get a duke player. But he just started sliding and it had nothing to do with his performance. From late lottery he started to fall to just outside the lottery. From just outside, he started to become a late first rounder. Then the season got cancelled and he continued to fall. As of now, I don’t think any site has him as a first rounder, and I’ve see him as low as 45. I know the nba is going away from “traditional bigs” but he is absolutely a first round talent. Does anyone else have some insight into this drastic fall?

And the sites that do have blurbs on him just like to reiterate the same “moving away from traditional bigs” I’ve seen some call him kind of short for center, others citing his lack of athleticism and defense.

That's tough news. Thought he was a lock for the 1st round. Maybe after the lottery he can show case what he can do. I know it's been a while but Boozer fell to the second round. OFC

NBADRAFT.NET has him going at 20 but Tre is in the second round. OFC

A wise man said that good big beats good little. Unless there is something I don't know about, he is a steal at 20. Particularly in this draft, which does seem weak

Idiots. Vernon has boatloads of talent, and hands that can’t be taught.

I always saw him as more of a stretch-4 at the pro level.

For much of his high school career, he played out along the perimeter.

Wasn't it only at Duke that he assumed more of a traditional big role?

I truly feel anyone pigeon-holing him as an old school "5" are underestimating the breadth of his skill set.

That’s how the NBA prioritizes skill-sets now..

I wouldn’t want the Hornets to take him unless they have a very late lotto pick.. I would def take Vernon in the 20’s though.. he’s 100% 1st round talent.. and he’s not JUST a “traditional center”.. traditional centers don’t hit 8/21 from three at the D1 level.. he’s probably not going to be an NBA all-star, but he can definitely play a role on most teams.. I could see him being a Joel Embiid-light.

I've seen him anywhere from 20-45, I still wouldn't be shocked if he goes 15-20ish though. Vernon's problem is the way the game is played today. You must be in PEAK physical conditioning to play at the pace the NBA plays at today, and it doesn't matter if you are 8 feet tall, you are worthless if you can't guard 30 feet away from the rim.

Dumping the ball down to a big is not as efficient as professionals spacing and shooting three's, math backs that up. The shooting is absolutely ridiculous in 2020.
If this was 2005, Vernon would be a top 5 pick no question. But teams are figuring out that drafting an old school big like Jahlil Okafor isn't gonna work in today's league, sadly.

And I agree: offensively Vernon shouldn't be pigeon-holed to an "old school 5," there is much more to his game. I think teams are afraid of his conditioning issues and that he will most likely always be a minus defensively.

It's a little strange that he was seen as 100 percent gone when he's a borderline second round pick. He may still go late first round.

If Wendell Carter can do well in the NBA, which he is, there is no reason Vernon can't. Same kind of player. Great footwork, hard worker, some perimeter skills. Of course I've realized for a while, it's the work they put in once they get to the league that makes or breaks them. I think Vernon will be fine.

Vernon is going to be a steal in the draft. He can shoot the three and I think teams are sleeping on him but him going in the second round isn’t bad.

Reactions: dakid_0812
It's a little strange that he was seen as 100 percent gone when he's a borderline second round pick. He may still go late first round.
He was 100% gone because his stock is as high as it will ever be.. unless he came next year averaging 30pts, 15rbs, and 5blks, he isn’t going to be drafted any higher than he will now.. that sucks, but it’s the reality for big men now in the NBA.

Reactions: christophero
I think Vernon can play in the NBA, but I don’t see him being a long-time player. The game has just changed.

Also, he’s battled injuries a lot in his young career. Not with us last season, fortunately, but injuries have seemed to follow him.

I would imagine that the cancellation of individual work outs also hurt him. His college tape is of him playing the type of position not valued in the pros as much. In hs, he did play more stretch four and he would have gotten a chance to show out at that position had he been able to work out for teams.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I would imagine that the cancellation of individual work outs also hurt him. His college tape is of him playing the type of position not valued in the pros as much. In hs, he did play more stretch four and he would have gotten a chance to show out at that position had he been able to work out for teams.

Agreed, the biggest thing he will need to show teams is that he can knock down the three ball.

I always saw him as more of a stretch-4 at the pro level.

For much of his high school career, he played out along the perimeter.

Wasn't it only at Duke that he assumed more of a traditional big role?

I truly feel anyone pigeon-holing him as an old school "5" are underestimating the breadth of his skill set.

Imagine the concern with him playing the stretch 4 is does he have the outside shot (consistently) and the mismatch on defense that his opponent would have. There are a ton of stretch 4s who are much quicker and better ball handlers than Vernon and have the size to guard and rebound against him down low as needed.

Imagine the concern with him playing the stretch 4 is does he have the outside shot (consistently) and the mismatch on defense that his opponent would have. There are a ton of stretch 4s who are much quicker and better ball handlers than Vernon and have the size to guard and rebound against him down low as needed.
I’d say Vernon is a Stretch-5 (like Demarcus Cousins, Marc Gasol, Jokic).. I don’t think you can be 6’10” 270lbs and truly be a 4 of any kind.. I think he will have more chance in the league if he is looked at like Cousins, Gasol, & Jokic rather than trying to fit into the mold of a Stretch-4 like Dirk.. this means Vern needs to be a beast down low and on the boards and defense too.

Reactions: dakid_0812
Vernon will need to keep his weight down, which he managed to do at Duke but will be harder when he is unsupervised. Not saying he can't do it, but scouts could see it as a red flag.

Last edited:
I honestly don’t see any of this years draft prospects being much of anything. Was very surprised Tre and Stanley declared. Tyus was much better than Tre and is a decent backup. Stanley is just way too raw. Feel like Gerald Henderson is his ceiling in 5-6 years. Vernon is such a tweener. If he can knock down 3s at a 38% clip he could develop into a decent role player. Just my opinion.

I honestly don’t see any of this years draft prospects being much of anything. Was very surprised Tre and Stanley declared. Tyus was much better than Tre and is a decent backup. Stanley is just way too raw. Feel like Gerald Henderson is his ceiling in 5-6 years. Vernon is such a tweener. If he can knock down 3s at a 38% clip he could develop into a decent role player. Just my opinion.
Disagree on Cassius.

Disagree on Cassius.

I think Cassius will be good.

I also think that of the three, Tre will have the longest NBA career. He should be around for a while even if he is a backup point guard the majority of his career.

It is a little disheartening to see our guys fall out of the first round on mock drafts. Such is the game today. I don't blame them for going but second round seems to be the rule for our guys. If they will get drafted at all they leave. Tre may or may not have been drafted after his first year, and as for Grayson, I think scouts wanted to see him make it through a season without some sort of meltdown.

Last edited:
Disagree on Cassius.
I could be way of basis with Stanley and I hope I am. I just wasn’t overly impressed with his overall skill set. Needs to drastically improve his shooting and ball handling.

Stanley is 20 or 21 years old, and this is an awful draft. I think that he should return to Duke and learn to lead a good team. But earning six or seven figures is nice

The NBA doesn't value bigs but that big guy from USC was number one on one recent mock. I guess you have to be able to shoot and be mobile.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT