ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell Carter Jr., not Marvin Bagley III, is Duke’s most NBA-ready prospect

dachampishere2

Cameron Crazy
Feb 15, 2017
What do you guys think about this article?

http://www.dukechronicle.com/blog/blue-zone/2018/01/saul-take-of-the-week

Now that I think about it this might be the truth. Carter is very versatile for a big man. He plays very good defense and he can score from 3 levels on offense. That's not even mentioning his rebounding skills. Clint Capella is about to get a big contract next year. Carter has more skills than him. I like Bagley and Carter. These guards have to get it together. We can't end this year without a banner with these two

Carter is Dukes most dependable, steady and reliable player at this point.

Not going to get into NBA projections but Both seem to be absolute cant misses

Reactions: sheyduke
I am a Kentucky fan, i come in peace guys, i have a respect a for coach K and The Duke university, imo, Carter is more NBA ready all around. Bagley has a NBA level ready offense and he is an elite offensive rebounder, but he needs to learn how to defend and defensive rebound at a consistent rate if he is ever going to be as good as Carter. The player you all have that is a future star in the making is Gary Trent, he reminds me alot of Doron Lamb, that played for Kentucky a few years ago..

It's a shame the stretching the author had to do to come up w/ this take didn't mean he was too far from the keyboard to type it.

The top advantage I would give Carter isn't even mentioned: He has 20+ pounds on Bags. When it comes to mixing it up in the paint, which will be a key part of both of their games, that weight gives him another level or sturdiness, and if you have to choose between being pretty good in multiple areas or outstanding in one and subpar in others, sticking w/ what you do well makes the latter option more attractive.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Wendell is a beast, and so is Bags. But I also think when coaches draw up their defenses that Bags probably gets the most attention. Wendell does seem to have a better outside shot, but Bags has an unquenchable thirst for obtaining the ball when it goes up off the backboard, and his incredible ability to jump 2 or 3 times before anyone else can get off the floor, well, that's a gift that few players in any league can match.
They both are going to be great in the NBA, but I'm just enjoying watching these 2 marvelous basketball players ball for our Duke Blue Devils. We are some lucky fans.

OFC

These two share a trait that falls short in a lot of uber talented players. They work their butts off every play. They don’t take plays off which is huge for guys like that. In an 82-game schedule and a league full of stars, you need something to set you apart and a motor will do it.

I think Carter will have an advantage going in because he’ll probably be in a better situation and he’ll have a position locked down. No one knows what to do with Marvin yet because he doesn’t have girth and his guard skills aren’t quite NBA level.

Ultimately I think Bagley becomes a better pro, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Wendell have a better tenure, first contract.

At this point, I don't give a fat baby's a** who will be the better pro. Don't get me wrong, I love having 2 quality bigs, but they need some help.
This is a totally different Duke team than we're used to. Years past we all scream that we were too reliant on jump shots, get killed on the boards, now we are getting little from the 3 point line.
Let's all light a candle, sacrifice a cat, something, anything for Grayson to regain his sophomore form.

I said a while back that if Bags wasn't here, I believe Carter could match or even exceed his numbers, but as far as who will be the better pro or is the most ready? I have no idea. If I were a GM and had to draft one tonight, I would probably take Bags and pray I wasn't making a mistake.

It's a shame the stretching the author had to do to come up w/ this take didn't mean he was too far from the keyboard to type it.

The top advantage I would give Carter isn't even mentioned: He has 20+ pounds on Bags. When it comes to mixing it up in the paint, which will be a key part of both of their games, that weight gives him another level or sturdiness, and if you have to choose between being pretty good in multiple areas or outstanding in one and subpar in others, sticking w/ what you do well makes the latter option more attractive.
As they get older that weight difference will lessen.In five years Bagley will be 250 plus

Bagley struggles defensively IMO. He stands straight up and gets beat often. Obviously he’s a freak offensively but im actually quite happy with Carter on both sides.

The only difference is Bagley is just an offensive monster with a second leap that makes you say,”$a&n”.

Carter can tone down and plays better defensively but I think it doesn’t matter both are being drafted in the lottery.

I personally think Carter is a better player than Bagley...not that I think either is bad...they are both great...To me though Carter has a much better shot and defensively it’s night and day between the two...Bagley has been a huge liability for us defensively....but right now I would take Carter...I understand where Bagley can be seen as having more upside though...

Bagley is much better athlete and is more fluid and agile. He has better handles and is better in transition. He can take his man off of a dribble and if he misses he almost always gets his own rebound.

Carter Jr is more skilled at this point but is not a quick twitch althete that Bagley is. Carter has a longer wing span so he protects the rim better. His jump shot is little better than Bagley’s at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT