ADVERTISEMENT

Well Jahlil...you own your choices.

I've always hated the "Eh, they're a 19 year old kid/they do dumb crap/we've all been there" excuse. It's actually because I was a 19 year old kid before that I can say that's not an excuse. We haven't all "done stupid crap" or "been there" as a 19 year old. Money and fame don't have to factor into it.

Well he was just suspended two games for basically not telling the entire truth about the situation.

While his game may have been NBA ready at 19 years old it appears his emotional maturation as a person where not.

Unfortunately in today's time people always see the physical gifts and the maturation necessary to move up or move on are often neglected. He Cleary wasn't ready to move onto the NBA from an emotional standpoint...and now it is what it is.

Hopefully he grows up before its to late.

I've always hated the "Eh, they're a 19 year old kid/they do dumb crap/we've all been there" excuse. It's actually because I was a 19 year old kid before that I can say that's not an excuse. We haven't all "done stupid crap" or "been there" as a 19 year old. Money and fame don't have to factor into it.
I don't follow your reasoning in the bold. While the whole "we've all done it" line risks excusing behavior that is indefensible and potentially life-threatening, having been an age previously doesn't mean we know everything there is to know about being that age for every person.

I'll cop to using the "BECAUSE I SAID SO" line as a parent that I hated as a kid, but that dismissive thing adults do over things young people are going through at half the age? That's disrespectful and unproductive.

2 game suspension. 2 games to give him the opportunity to sit and think about it and why he is sitting there watching. OFC

I don't follow your reasoning in the bold. While the whole "we've all done it" line risks excusing behavior that is indefensible and potentially life-threatening, having been an age previously doesn't mean we know everything there is to know about being that age for every person.

I'll cop to using the "BECAUSE I SAID SO" line as a parent that I hated as a kid, but that dismissive thing adults do over things young people are going through at half the age? That's disrespectful and unproductive.

Dat, I guess I just mean that I've been 19 and made it through early adulthood without doing anything really stupid. So I know it's possible. I feel like some people present an attitude such that everyone does really stupid things at that age, so we should excuse or at least expect it, and it's just not true.

Dat, I guess I just mean that I've been 19 and made it through early adulthood without doing anything really stupid. So I know it's possible. I feel like some people present an attitude such that everyone does really stupid things at that age, so we should excuse or at least expect it, and it's just not true.
I hear you. I just think it's easier to stop short of excusing it than it is to stop short of dismissiveness. There is a lot of coddling out there, but too often the rhetoric goes too far in the other direction. I prefer to err on the side of caution and understanding. I don't think it has to compromise our ability to bring our foot down.

Reactions: Mpm277
2 game suspension. 2 games to give him the opportunity to sit and think about it and why he is sitting there watching. OFC
I don't think it's nearly enough. That was horrendous what he did and the way he acted, and add on that he didn't tell the organization the truth. I am a big Okafor fan but I also believe in discipline. Hopefully this is just the first part of his discipline and if there are chargers he should get a bigger suspension from the league. He won't learn anything from the 2 game suspension, he may and hopefully learn from the humiliation he is getting from the media.

THis wasn't a typical shouting match or pushing match. There was some form of anger there caused by who knows what but it needs to be taken care of now.

Saw this morning his camp has asked for a security guard will be with Jah at all times and the sixers are going to do it

listen to coach k's post game interview from Indiana game. there is talk of players needing security guards, like he used for the Olympics. as others stated, im sure k spoke with jah after the incidents surfaced and was a big reason this is taken place. if you haven't seen or heard k defend jah after the Indiana game you should listen.

Reactions: pisgah101
I get what you are saying Mpm. However, not all things are equal. While you may have made it through your teen years unscathed, that doesn't mean that all of us have. I can attest to that first hand. I would have hated to see where i'd be or not be right now if I had millions at that age. Some kids just mature faster mentally than others.

Reactions: Dattier
I get what you are saying Mpm. However, not all things are equal. While you may have made it through your teen years unscathed, that doesn't mean that all of us have. I can attest to that first hand. I would have hated to see where i'd be or not be right now if I had millions at that age. Some kids just mature faster mentally than others.
I think you're last statement is absolutely correct, some mature faster because he obviously isn't mature yet. It's amazing to see the difference a person has when they are with an organization that breeds character and responsibility vs an organization that well doesn't. Duke vs philadelphia. I know not all duke players are saints or philadlephia players are terrible, but I think you definitely see the difference of leadership on the team and in the organization or lack there of.

I love what Coach K told reporters.
Don't Characterize Jahil Okafor based on recent actions

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...for-philadelphia-76ers-one-greatest-kids-ever
What I love about his comments is that we all know he's a military guy with high standards and high expectations, so we know he's not some coddling, enabling, Rick Neuheisel-type coach, so when he is so emphatical in his praise, to the point of hyperbole, we recognize it as meaningful despite being so emotionally driven.

Reading his quotes is great, but the video is even better. I can't turn off the stupid autoplay, so I ended up watching about 4 more after that, all of which expressed some empathy, sympathy, or/and support for Jah. Collectively, they support something I mentioned earlier: Yeah, we worry that being so understanding can lead to coddling, but at the end of the day, Jah is still serving a suspension, and he feels that even if we don't.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT