ADVERTISEMENT

Week 7 - Duke's first off week

ConorONeill

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Staff
Aug 13, 2021
There's such an emphasis these days on people in sports media celebrating their correct predictions -- it's self-serving and narcissistic but it's also the most direct way to tell readers/subscribers, "Hey, look, I was right, I know what I'm talking about!"

It annoys me and I try to avoid it ... but I'm not batting 1.000. And this is going to lower my average.

The other side of this is, to borrow phrasing from Duke’s former men’s basketball coach, the Blue Devils are coming to the end of an energy cycle.

Duke’s grind of fall camp bled into six straight game weeks. Three of those were on the road and this will be the fourth night game — and keep in mind, that’s not counting the Middle Tennessee game that took about five hours because of a weather delay.

There would be a human-nature element of looking forward to getting rest on the other side of this game, which is why Duke is battling some human nature along with the Yellow Jackets.

“I do think our guys have shown maturity this week in how they’ve done it,” Diaz said. “Now, ultimately we’ve gotta go play like it on Saturday.”

Those were the last 4 paragraphs from the preview for the GT game. There was obviously a difference in how Duke prepared to play last week and what happened last night. To me, the offensive struggles are a concern, but my biggest takeaway remains that Duke just ran out of gas. It's not an excuse, they shouldn't be let off the hook for losing what was a winnable game; but you can only do so much to combat human nature.

Duke's first off week comes at a great time. Based on last night, the Blue Devils need rest more than anything else. They'll take this week off and come back against a sputtering FSU team on Oct. 18.

We'll still have some coverage this week -- albeit, basketball media day is in Charlotte in the middle of the week and the Boozers are announcing, so hoops will have some priority. I'll have PFF grades of last night's game on the game thread tomorrow, and sometime later in the week I'll put some PFF mid-term grades in this thread.

ICYMI: Game story on last night's loss at GT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.