ADVERTISEMENT

Villanova loses to Furman

JIMSOULS

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2006
Since its inception, the Big East has never had a week with no ranked teams. Villanova falling from #8 to out of the rankings would be quite a drop, but both losses have been at home and there is no reason to vote for them right now. Butler of St. John's might squeeze into the rankings, though doubtful.Tough start for the Big East. Long-term, it will be difficult for the basketball-onlies to hand with the Power 5 football conferences. One of many reasons I hate the godawful sport of football.

Interesting start for Furman, who have now beaten Final Four participants Loyola-Chicago and Villanova on the road.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
On any given night. It happens. Our guys have to know and understand that. Every game is a big game. That'said why going all out against every opponantes is so important. OFC

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Quinerly a DNP. Is he history at Villanova? We will find out soon.

Yes, Nova won 2 titles in 3 years. But it was with largely the same core of players, either playing big roles or backup roles. Most, if not all the key players, are now gone. And Nova is faltering.
Sometimes, it isn't the coach or the school. It is just an incredibly lucky run of players.
Billy D repeated at UF with 2 bigs that could afford to pass on the pros to go from mid to late first round into the top half of the draft. Lots of guys would like to do that, but they can't afford to pass on the near guarantee of first round money (Noah's rookie deal was likely less than his trust fund). Outside of that group, Billy D didn't do squat.
Methinks all the ejaculation that occurred at the thought of the Nova Coach will soon go limp.

I’m sorry I don’t have a life and have to troll a message board. I promise I won’t do it again.

- As dictated to dukehokie

Last edited by a moderator:
Nonsense. Wright is a great coach who has succeeded without doing shady things a la the ACC's North Carolina Triangle contingent. Have any of the coaches who won NCAA titles at Duke, UNC and N.C. State run clean programs? Put your homerism on the side and think about it. If Rat Face beats out alleged cheaters for one-and-dones, what does that make Rat Face?
I was wondering how a guy could have over 4,500 posts, but not have a single like.

Now I know.

Nonsense. Wright is a great coach who has succeeded without doing shady things a la the ACC's North Carolina Triangle contingent. Have any of the coaches who won NCAA titles at Duke, UNC and N.C. State run clean programs? Put your homerism on the side and think about it. If Rat Face beats out alleged cheaters for one-and-dones, what does that make Rat Face?

I was wondering how a guy could have over 4,500 posts, but not have a single like.

Now I know.
They come from everywhere don't they.What kind of life do these people have? I think people like this just troll message boards looking for something that eventually makes them look stupid. Not even sure he is a Nova fan. Why does he have Duke Illustrated Hall of Fame undershirt name. It is a injustice to the rest of the DIHOFers. OFC

They come from everywhere don't they.What kind of life do these people have? I think people like this just troll message boards looking for something that eventually makes them look stupid. Not even sure he is a Nova fan. Why does he have Duke Illustrated Hall of Fame undershirt name. It is a injustice to the rest of the DIHOFers. OFC

Yeah how does he have that??

Jay Wright gonna be the next Coach K?? That’s hilarious.

Villanova now is the face of college basketball?? I’m dying laughing.

Reactions: Mullin5756
ponarkel is a great Duke fan and even he is not a Duke Illustrated Hall of Famer. Go figure. OFC

Reactions: dukesince91
Jay Wright gonna be the next Coach K?? That’s hilarious.

Villanova now is the face of college basketball?? I’m dying laughing.
I know. After three very good seasons, Villanova fans think they are relevant. Looks like this year, they go back to their old selves by having decent regular seasons, then getting bounced in the first weekend of the ncaa tournament

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
Because of the conference Villanova plays in, they’ll have a chance to be a little like Gonzaga over the long term. Now, obviously they have the two titles....and those can’t be taken away, but as a poster above said, those titles were largely with the same core. From 2009 to 2016 Villanova didn’t make a single Sweet Sixteen. While their run has been outstanding the last three years, I would agree that a lot of people maybe got a little carried away with Nova love affair.

I think Wright is experiencing the clash of 4-year player expectations in a one-and-done reality. If his program continues to be successful his players will not be around. I don't like it for Duke, or any other program, or college sports in general. But, that's the way it will go.

Like I've said before, lot of luck involved in winning a title. Look at 15 for us. We had a ton of injuries that could have derailed that season. Almost every guy on that team got hurt. At one point, we could barely field a team. For whatever reason, they all recovered and were able to play. 16-17 was just the opposite. Nova had a great run fueled by great players who stayed and or weren't great enough to leave early.

Reactions: skysdad
VMI set a record at Rupp with 19 three's tonight. Ky was favored to win by 34. 7 point game with 32.7 seconds. Ky with 33 free throws and VMI with 5 lol. I think we are still having an effect on them, or they are not just not that good. Remember Pitt beat VMI by almost 40.

VMI set a record at Rupp with 19 three's tonight. Ky was favored to win by 34. 7 point game with 32.7 seconds. Ky with 33 free throws and VMI with 5 lol. I think we are still having an effect on them, or they are not just not that good. Remember Pitt beat VMI by almost 40.

I think it is a combination of both. I think they will have a solid year but I don’t think they will be one of the top 5 teams when it is all said and done

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

KY is overrated. They might turn it around, but so far they look mediocre at best.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
There’s gotta be something going on there. They have too much talent to be playing this poorly, especially on D. That shows a lack of chemistry.
They’re definitely not what I expected them to be so far. Still plenty of time for Cal to get it righted.
Rupp was like a library tonight. It’s like the team and fans are still in a trance.

Never underestimate what a good ass kicking can do to confidence (for and against). If Duke had been on the other end of the 118-84 score, who knows how that could have affected our kids. Kentucky has to manufacture a little momentum to get their confidence back imo.
Or, they could just plain suck!;)

OFC

There’s gotta be something going on there. They have too much talent to be playing this poorly, especially on D. That shows a lack of chemistry.
I saw a thread on RR where someone said he thought the team didn’t have any chemistry and didn’t like playing together and everyone was calling him a troll.

How talented are they, really? They have a good number of fairly talented players. But no real difference makers. Their best, by a wide margin, low post scorer is a poor defender and a mediocre rebounder. They really only have 2 real 3pt threats. Keldon is fine, and looks like a late lottery pick this year. Herro is a horrific defender, and isn't really athletic enough to get open for good looks. In many years, UK could absorb Herro's bad defense because the rest of the team would be long, athletic defenders, with top shelf rim defense behind him. We exposed UK as a team that can't really handle athleticism and length from a defensive standpoint. Herro and Travis are good offensive players, but bad defensive players. Take them out, and the team gets stout defensively. Not elite, but stout. But with them out, the team has trouble scoring.
UK has a talented group of kids, but they don't fit well together.

Because of the conference Villanova plays in, they’ll have a chance to be a little like Gonzaga over the long term. Now, obviously they have the two titles....and those can’t be taken away, but as a poster above said, those titles were largely with the same core. From 2009 to 2016 Villanova didn’t make a single Sweet Sixteen. While their run has been outstanding the last three years, I would agree that a lot of people maybe got a little carried away with Nova love affair.

Actually, in 2009 Villanova went to the Final Four (beating Duke 77-54 in the Sweet Sixteen).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT