ADVERTISEMENT

UNC's Fedora under fire for BIZARRE comments today!

Just to play devils advocate.... I think the calls for him to be fired are silly despite the CTE evidence showing the link is pretty clear. We unfortunately live in a time where if you say anything at all that some find offensive, you risk losing your job. That is utterly ridiculous. This egg shell society we live in should relax and let people say things, stupid or not. And I do agree that football is under attack by many who see it as a barbarians sport.

Somewhat related to this. I saw an article from one of the local news stations Facebook page earlier tonight about an undisclosed amount of UNC football players that could receive suspensions of one or more games this upcoming season for selling their shoes and other football issued gear.

Last edited:
Just to play devils advocate.... I think the calls for him to be fired are silly despite the CTE evidence showing the link is pretty clear. We unfortunately live in a time where if you say anything at all that some find offensive, you risk losing your job. That is utterly ridiculous. This egg shell society we live in should relax and let people say things, stupid or not. And I do agree that football is under attack by many who see it as a barbarians sport.
There is a difference between saying something offensive and saying something that’s not supported by clear evidence. Fedora should fired because he’s ignoring medical facts. These facts are crucial to keeping players safe.

Even if he said something like, Chinese guys can never play QB, I think UNC should have the right to fire him to protect their brand. He’s a public figure representing a big institution. Your job depends on not offending people, even if it’s true that Chinese guys suck at football.

Last edited:
Ironically, his denial about the link between cte and football kind of proves it. Also, there’s some real gold itt so far, keep it up fellas.

Somewhat related to this. I saw an article from one of the local news stations Facebook page earlier tonight about an undisclosed amount of UNC football players that could receive suspensions of one or more games this upcoming season for selling their shoes and other football issued gear.

To be fair to them, if I was given UNC gear, I’d try to sell it too.

There is a difference between saying something offensive and saying something that’s not supported by clear evidence. Fedora should fired because he’s ignoring medical facts. These facts are crucial to keeping players safe.

Even if he said something like, Chinese guys can never play QB, I think UNC should have the right to fire him to protect their brand. He’s a public figure representing a big institution. Your job depends on not offending people, even if it’s true that Chinese guys suck at football.

As Duke fan’s we should all band together and protest any attempt to fire Fedora.

Perhaps the reason that some are calling for his job is not that this is an eggshell society, but rather his statements indicate he is blind to a medical situation, may be disinclined to take any precautions to protect his players from it and, therefore, put them in harm's way needlessly. I like football too, but if you don't protect kids you are responsible for, from something that has been established, it makes you an f-ing moron that doesn't actually care about those kids.

Just a counterpoint though.

I think they threw the football team under the bus to protect the basketball team. Anyone think the basketball players weren’t doing the same thing?

Make Football Great Again!

I heard a football coach once tell a story similar to what Fedora is saying. This coach had a friend who was very high up in the American military and had a visitor come from the Russian military, and this was sometime during the 90s. The Russian guy comes over and this coach's friend is responsible for showing the Russian what it's like in America. So they all go to a high school football game on a Friday night. They are explaining to the Russian that most high school all over the country have football and that Friday night is usually when these games are played. The Russian guy asks, "so high school boys all over the country are playing this game tonight?" They tell him yes. He says "we can never beat you."
I don't know if this story is accurate. But I was in the room when this coach told the story about his evening with this Russian military guy. It was pretty inspiring.

Concerning the article as a whole:
Other than the denial of CTE, I don't see anything wrong with what Fedora said. CTE is clearly a problem and clearly linked to head injuries.
Football IS under attack. There are plenty of people saying football is bad, football will kill you, football isn't worth the risk. Someone has to say, hey, yes football comes with risk but lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Lets find ways to make the game safer without turning it into touch football, because the game is an incredible character builder and has been so to many millions of American men. If American youth lose this game, America would not be a better place.
I think what Fedora was trying to say was something similar to the previous paragraph. Nowhere has he stated or implied that he doesn't care about the well-being of the young men on his team. Now, he may be a total ass (and a clown) and he may not care about those guys on his team. But it is a reach to take what he said and make the claim he doesn't care about those guys.

I heard a football coach once tell a story similar to what Fedora is saying. This coach had a friend who was very high up in the American military and had a visitor come from the Russian military, and this was sometime during the 90s. The Russian guy comes over and this coach's friend is responsible for showing the Russian what it's like in America. So they all go to a high school football game on a Friday night. They are explaining to the Russian that most high school all over the country have football and that Friday night is usually when these games are played. The Russian guy asks, "so high school boys all over the country are playing this game tonight?" They tell him yes. He says "we can never beat you."
I don't know if this story is accurate. But I was in the room when this coach told the story about his evening with this Russian military guy. It was pretty inspiring.

Concerning the article as a whole:
Other than the denial of CTE, I don't see anything wrong with what Fedora said. CTE is clearly a problem and clearly linked to head injuries.
Football IS under attack. There are plenty of people saying football is bad, football will kill you, football isn't worth the risk. Someone has to say, hey, yes football comes with risk but lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Lets find ways to make the game safer without turning it into touch football, because the game is an incredible character builder and has been so to many millions of American men. If American youth lose this game, America would not be a better place.
I think what Fedora was trying to say was something similar to the previous paragraph. Nowhere has he stated or implied that he doesn't care about the well-being of the young men on his team. Now, he may be a total ass (and a clown) and he may not care about those guys on his team. But it is a reach to take what he said and make the claim he doesn't care about those guys.
It’s only touch football when it comes to Brady. Breathe on him and you’re getting a 15 yarder. :D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT