ADVERTISEMENT

Tre Jones

DukeDenver

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2010
Triad, NC
I am very excited that he is high on Duke. In 4 games of EYBL action last week, he dropped 39 assists with just 6 turnovers, while averaging 18ppg. I have sorely missed this kind of player since his brother got us a title (I honestly believe Tyus was the most important piece of that puzzle and that had he stayed, we would have gotten to two more Final Fours since then).

Tre is every bit as mature and intelligent as Tyus. Of all our current recruits, I feel Tre is the most important for our future as a program. Guys like that make it much more likely that K has fun coaching and hangs around longer. Plus, it's got to help recruit finishers like Zion. Having a guy like this on board can make your scoring numbers look much better.

3918903.jpg

I remember thinking he may not be as good as his brother and would probably be a 4 year player and now he's looking like a OAD or 2 and done and becoming a VERY important recruit. I'm sure he will rise in the rankings.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Back when he was a freshman, my cousin, who coaches against him in Minnesota, said he would be better than tyus. I brushed it off because Tyus was the truth. Tre is the truth though. He's so versatile. His a better defender and rebounder than Tyus. Scoring they're about even. Tyus is the better passer and general but Tre isn't far. We need to lock him in early and we're set. I think Garland will come too. That's going to be crazy. We have to lock in some big men. I don't see many big men targets for 2018 that we're favored to get.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I am very excited that he is high on Duke. In 4 games of EYBL action last week, he dropped 39 assists with just 6 turnovers, while averaging 18ppg. I have sorely missed this kind of player since his brother got us a title (I honestly believe Tyus was the most important piece of that puzzle and that had he stayed, we would have gotten to two more Final Fours since then).

Tre is every bit as mature and intelligent as Tyus. Of all our current recruits, I feel Tre is the most important for our future as a program. Guys like that make it much more likely that K has fun coaching and hangs around longer. Plus, it's got to help recruit finishers like Zion. Having a guy like this on board can make your scoring numbers look much better.

3918903.jpg

DD -- there is nothing in your post I disagree with! I think he would an important part of Duke's success if he comes on board.

OAD? He's not even listed as a top 50 recruit is he?? I hope he's a multi year guy. I'm sick of having only OAD make up our team. Ideally 4 underclass men with a OAD maybe 2 mixed in.

At best I'd expect him to be a 2 year guy. We shall see, kids will go if they think they can cut it.

Tre is absolutely blowing up. He'll be a top 10-15 player in his class before all is said and done. It's been a little quiet on the recruiting front for him.....but I'd still be pretty shocked if he wasn't at Duke for his year or two of college. I LOVE this kid's game.

Tre is absolutely blowing up. He'll be a top 10-15 player in his class before all is said and done. It's been a little quiet on the recruiting front for him.....but I'd still be pretty shocked if he wasn't at Duke for his year or two of college. I LOVE this kid's game.
Incredible rise for this kid, awesome and a testament to hard work!

Reactions: LTDukeFan
OAD? He's not even listed as a top 50 recruit is he?? I hope he's a multi year guy. I'm sick of having only OAD make up our team. Ideally 4 underclass men with a OAD maybe 2 mixed in.

We've had more than one OAD on our team when?
2015 (3 OADs) - National Champions
2017 (2-3 OADs depending on Frank's final decision) - ACC tourney champions.

I love having 3-4 year players as much as the next guy, but if having multiple OADs means a 50% chance of a Natty, I'll take it every single year.

I'm so tired of people crying about OAD's. Jesus Christ. I want the best players we can get every time. Some will stay, some will leave, it's the nature of the beast. As for Tre, dukehokie and I have discussed him many times in the past year or so. Absolutely LOVE this kid. And yea, I think he'll be better than Tyus. He see's the floor like Tyus did PLUS , he snags a lot of rebounds as well.

I'm so tired of people crying about OAD's. Jesus Christ. I want the best players we can get every time. Some will stay, some will leave, it's the nature of the beast. As for Tre, dukehokie and I have discussed him many times in the past year or so. Absolutely LOVE this kid. And yea, I think he'll be better than Tyus. He see's the floor like Tyus did PLUS , he snags a lot of rebounds as well.
Jesus is a OAD too?

I agree with you. Everyone keeps talking about how OAD are killing us but fail to realize we've had more than one on our team twice in history. Regardless, give me the best players and I'll take my chances. The key is clearly to have a mix which ironically both years we had multiple OADs, we've had a lot of upperclassmen leadership. One worked out great one was doomed from the start.

People cry about OAD's because they fall into that trap by reading and listening to what dipshit Tarheel fans vomit up on the subject. It gets sooo old to me.

Reactions: MSUbluedevil
Don't worry, UNC is gonna get busted soon on the cheating scandal, after they finish their punishment, they will begin to land OAD's again, then they'll be cool again.

Reactions: hpnole
Don't worry, UNC is gonna get busted soon on the cheating scandal, after they finish their punishment, they will begin to land OAD's again, then they'll be cool again.
I wish Roy would start getting some more OAD sports coats. I swear he wears that ugly light blue plaid one every other game. It's time for that one to jump- to the dumpster. I bet even Goodwill would toss that old rag out.

Reactions: Dukesince90
As a big NBA fan, I love the fact that we are flooding the draft with lottery picks each year. We're getting close to having a player to root for on every NBA squad.

As a big NBA fan, I love the fact that we are flooding the draft with lottery picks each year. We're getting close to having a player to root for on every NBA squad.
I want to see all 3 Plumlees on the same team. Is that too much to ask?

Reactions: dbav
This is a little different in the OAD conversation because of Tyus coming through the program.

In general I still don't like the amount of OAD guys we are getting. I largely feel that way because it isn't just that some of these kids would go straight to the nba if they could...but more that guys are picking Duke more for immediate playing time options over really loving the school. Not all...but more than it used to be.

Top talent is great and a good amount is needed to win at the highest lvl...but when the season becomes OAD you need key players who put winning that game above everything else. Sometimes that can be OAD players but it is more likely upperclassmen

I agree with you. Everyone keeps talking about how OAD are killing us but fail to realize we've had more than one on our team twice in history. Regardless, give me the best players and I'll take my chances. The key is clearly to have a mix which ironically both years we had multiple OADs, we've had a lot of upperclassmen leadership. One worked out great one was doomed from the start.
Most people probably don't have a problem with the one and done player. I just don't want more than 3 a year. I agree with you that a mix is the best formula. People see the way Duke is trending with the talent. The team coming up for Duke could have as many as 4 freshmen leave for NBA, and add Allen. It's the fear of very little experience coming back, something Duke fans have not had to worry about before that has people concerned.

Most people probably don't have a problem with the one and done player. I just don't want more than 3 a year. I agree with you that a mix is the best formula. People see the way Duke is trending with the talent. The team coming up for Duke could have as many as 4 freshmen leave for NBA, and add Allen. It's the fear of very little experience coming back, something Duke fans have not had to worry about before that has people concerned.

A wise old football coach once said "The Future Is Now." George Allen was right in the sense of pro sports I suppose, but college is different.

These youngsters (OAD's) need the LEADERSHIP of some experienced players. Yes I want THE BEST product we can put on the floor, but by the same token think of the contributions a Vrank and/or Javin/Jack could make w/some PT this upcoming season off the bench per the following year in captaining the '18-'19 team!

OFC

This is a little different in the OAD conversation because of Tyus coming through the program.

In general I still don't like the amount of OAD guys we are getting. I largely feel that way because it isn't just that some of these kids would go straight to the nba if they could...but more that guys are picking Duke more for immediate playing time options over really loving the school. Not all...but more than it used to be.

Top talent is great and a good amount is needed to win at the highest lvl...but when the season becomes OAD you need key players who put winning that game above everything else. Sometimes that can be OAD players but it is more likely upperclassmen
I like this take, Tim. It's got to be hard as a coach to set up a situation where your pro talent is being showcased while still giving yourself the best chance to win. Cal caters more towards letting his guys show off for the pros which has several advantages: players are happy and you have no trouble getting more talent each year (the downside is you're leaving up to the players to sort out whether or not they're going to play winning basketball). Coach K tailors his gameplan to his elite players, but still teaches a system that must be followed even if it doesn't necessarily accentuate a particular blue chips strengths (see Bolden's frustration). The downside is some top recruits want more control and thus pass on coming to Duke or as we've seen transfer. The upside is, we can be a much more cohesive unit come tourney time. Sometimes I think Coach K gets caught in the middle of gameplanning and player satisfaction and the chemistry goes south. It's impossible to do this job perfectly. He's navigated it better than most. Just check out his winning percentage.

Reactions: Mac9192

We've also kind of had a perfect storm hit us. We were all blindsided by the Derryck Thornton transfer. None of us expected Luke to blow up into an All-American as a sophomore, either. I think it's safe to say the expectation was both of them would be around as juniors next season. The Jeter and Obi transfers are explainable, yet unfortunate....but none of us were shocked.

We're a lot calmer around here if we have two upperclassmen returning in our backcourt next season.

Some of Tre's passes are Gretzky like. Number of times I found myself thinking: Where the heck is that pass going, only to see it bypass a bunch of guys and go to someone who was out of sight and wide open.

To me it's not the one and dones that have hurt us. I think the staff plans very well for that. It's when guys are expected to stay around and become a one and done or transfer that hurts more than anything ala Thornton last year.

dj do you think if Duval comes to Duke that it will in any way effect Tre coming to Duke. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT