ADVERTISEMENT

The state of college basketball

How would you like to see collge basketball?

• Leave the one and done as is.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Recruits must play college BB at least two years.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Recruits must play college BB at least three years.

Votes: 11 34.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Duke wasn’t always in a GREAT spot I’d say change it. But year after year they have a top 2 recruiting class. Year after year they are pretty much a top 5 team and a threat to win the national title.

I know Duke is still Duke and they would adapt to no matter what the rules were. But I’m gonna say keep it the same, just please get back to playing basketball this year.

Reactions: skysdad
Selfishly, I think the OAD plays into the hands of a coach who is getting on in years and it's easier to promise a OAD that the coach will be there for one year as opposed to 3.

However the 2 and out seems to be the right one. I can't see keeping a guy who "blows up" his first or second year having to stay a 3rd year. Grayson should have left after 2, and two years was the right number for Tre Jones.

Reactions: sheyduke
Let them go straight from high school and 3 or 2 year mandatory if they go to college. Win win for everybody. Can do something like everybody’s automatically entered into the draft outa high school if you get drafted you get the choice to come to college or go straight pro. Or everybody’s entered into the draft every year and the kids that went to college can sign with the team but have to finish college or something idk. Let them make money in college anyway they can. No to paying them in college.

Sky, I would love for it to be the same as baseball where you can go pro straight out of high school if you want, but if you go to college, it 3 years before you can go. That's just wishful thinking though. It will never happen!!!
OFC
Kinda similar to what I think . No time to get into details

I'd like to see straight out of high school or stay 2 years. I know we are good every year but the revolving door gets old and I'm starting to think 2015 was an outlier. Every year becomes a race to get the freshman to figure it out, and we almost need top 5 recruiting classes every year to be good. We got lucky with Moore and Hurt returning this year, but 15 years ago neither of those guys would even consider being one and done.

Reactions: Liftee
I'd like to see straight out of high school or stay 2 years. I know we are good every year but the revolving door gets old and I'm starting to think 2015 was an outlier. Every year becomes a race to get the freshman to figure it out, and we almost need top 5 recruiting classes every year to be good. We got lucky with Moore and Hurt returning this year, but 15 years ago neither of those guys would even consider being one and done.
I’m with everyone here. Straight out of high school or two years of college. It’s a win for the players. They can show they can improve and work on weaknesses pointed out by scouts and agents and leave with an associates degree.

There are not 60 kids right out of high school ready to contribute in the NBA or even 30 for that matter so there is still plenty of room for sophomores and juniors to be drafted.

Reactions: Liftee
If your good enough to go pro at age 18,then you should be able to do that.There is no sense in making a kid go to college unless he is there for an education,basketball should be secondary if you are going to college.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
I think straight out of HS or 3 years of college...but DO NOT let them see if they get drafted then give them the option to still go to college...make a decision and make them stick to it...life is alot of decisions and if they make the wrong one then it's on the player...don't baby them by saying "it's ok you didn't get drafted, now you can go to college"...

I think straight out of HS or 3 years of college...but DO NOT let them see if they get drafted then give them the option to still go to college...make a decision and make them stick to it...life is alot of decisions and if they make the wrong one then it's on the player...don't baby them by saying "it's ok you didn't get drafted, now you can go to college"...
This is just a tad too harsh. The issue I have is so many of these kids are lacking in the maturity department. That isn’t all their fault. This is a family issue. Not many kids are as fortunate as say, RJ Barrett, or Tyus Jones. They have a solid base to support them, and give them good advice. Look at Okafor, and the trouble he got into not long after he was a pro.
The system isn’t preparing many to make adult decisions.
On one hand, they are an injury away in college from losing their chance, but on the other, a suitcase full of money isn’t making them smarter.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
This is just a tad too harsh. The issue I have is so many of these kids are lacking in the maturity department. That isn’t all their fault. This is a family issue. Not many kids are as fortunate as say, RJ Barrett, or Tyus Jones. They have a solid base to support them, and give them good advice. Look at Okafor, and the trouble he got into not long after he was a pro.
The system isn’t preparing many to make adult decisions.
On one hand, they are an injury away in college from losing their chance, but on the other, a suitcase full of money isn’t making them smarter.

Agree to disagree...life choices are tough and this would be one of them...giving them a free pass is like saying it's not your fault let's let's blame it on everyone else like a lot of people already do in this world

I can't stand your mindset at all. You view everything through the lens of your own experiences with no consideration of what others might see. Fake tough guys like you on here and in the real world piss me off. "Free pass?" "Blame it on everyone else?" What kind of scenario are you inventing for yourself to be mad at?

Colleges are lucky as hell to have these elite guys propping up their brands. All that money rolling in to the school and you want to hold someone's feet to the fire because of some free tuition and living expenses? Say I'm a chemistry major at Duke on a full ride because I got a perfect SAT score and straight A's at an elite prep school (I'm the Zion of the chemistry world). I'm already doing awesome research with my professors and publishing papers and patents with Duke's name on them, elevating the status of my research advisor. If I get offered a job interview at a science start-up for millions per year after my sophomore year, you're saying Duke should take away my scholarship and kick me out of school if I go to the interview? Duke should eliminate the chance that this amazing student will return and force the student to enroll elsewhere because they are salty about the student leaving for an amazing job a la Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs?

It seems like you just want someone else to be miserable. What does any of this have to do with people blaming their problems on others? What people are you referring to?

Reactions: ncaa9636 and dbav
Can't stand my mind set but wrote a book about it lol...fake tough guy hmmmmm

If you don't like what I post just bypass it...seems to upset you...and frankly I couldn't care less your opinion of me

The whole“ injury away from losing their chance” is not a factor in this day and time. Especially with basketball. It have to be a catastrophic injury, or past injuries and a pattern of the same type of injury over and over and what not. AND even then look at Harry....No it have to be catastrophic.

Reactions: sheyduke
I disagree. I mean sooooo if I’m not good enough to play basketball I can’t go to college and get my degreee, improve , and have that chance at my dream again? Lol I don’t see the “babying” in that

I disagree. I mean sooooo if I’m not good enough to play basketball I can’t go to college and get my degreee, improve , and have that chance at my dream again? Lol I don’t see the “babying” in that

I'm just saying IMO you make a choice...college or NBA...if you make the right decision then great...if you make the wrong decision then sorry but you shouldn't be able to be handed a free scholly since it was your 2nd choice and the other didn't work out for you

I'm just saying IMO you make a choice...college or NBA...if you make the right decision then great...if you make the wrong decision then sorry but you shouldn't be able to be handed a free scholly since it was your 2nd choice and the other didn't work out for you
Sounds like a she didn’t want me untill he didn’t want her situation to me idkkkkkk lmao

I don’t see why they can’t enter the draft every year foreal...I mean think about it.

It’s all about money.... safety of the NBAs pockets. Duval enters the draft after high school what happens? Lol

It’s sad considering the decision to invest that money into a kid is being made by grown ass men...yet kids are being held hostage for the safety of their pockets! It seems like the babying is there to me! Lmao

I'm pretty sure if we started a Cheerios or Rice Krispies thread the last 10 posts would be two people sniping at each other. :)

“Fake tough guys” is the only thing I see worth an eye brow raise here...(sniping) And if that gets ya rattled dukebrotherhod.net whatever will take your application ! :D

Reactions: PixelDevil
And sorry, to actually post about the thread topic. Selfishly, I would love it if they had to stay three years. But that will never happen. As @jwill133 said in another thread, the NBA would never allow that to happen.

Here’s how I see some post . Yes kids who don’t get drafted do feel salty and place blame at times( this is why I like the approach about these young kids getting feed back from agents and NBA scouts).

No not every high level recruit will be drafted first round . After the first what thirty, it’s a crap shoot to make a team go over seas or to the gleague.

Letting kids get paid off their likeliness is a good move on the right direction. If kids enter the draft and don’t get drafted I believe a one time waiver should be granted to let them return to college, however keep in mind once you declare you are given every useful tool to help you make your mind up as to what is best for you. That’s from NBA SCOUTS and Agents who know the game outside of your coaches and family . I don’t think it should be a yearly thing because coaches can not build rosters on a player repeatedly declaring and coming back.

It’s a toss up. While I only believe there are only a handful of kids that can go straight out of high school, players returning to college or going to college instead still need to show they can improve or it’s simply not helping there draft stock.

Reactions: Showenuff
it’s not just an application brah, you gotta pass the blood and urine tests.
Seee thats good haha. Not being sarcastic. I was just being/acting/am stupid btw...kinda. I feel some type of way about that whole new board situation and how it went down though I ain’t gonna lie....

It’s like a spit in everybody’s face that you didn’t mention to join and the mods here all while trying to advertise another board here lol. ok im out :)

Reactions: Mac9192
In one post I mentioned a couple peoples names that I knew would enjoy it there, but I couldn’t type everyone’s name. I hope ya didn’t take that personal Ipsy . If it came off like, I’m sorry.

Reactions: IFaZe
I didn’t take it personally. I take everything directed towards ME myself fine But when it’s directed towards something or people I’m associated with as a whole or whatever Im sensitive towards it. Idk how to explain it .It comes off bad is all i can tell you.

Reactions: Showenuff
The one and done isn't going anywhere. I'm thinking the new changes will be some of the elite recruits skip college, and some elite recruits still attend college.

I mentioned this on TheBrotherhood forum, but I think college basketball's biggest problem is guys leaving (in increasing numbers each year) that are 2nd rounders or undrafted guys. College basketball needs to figure out a way to keep the Trevon Duvals, Gary Trent's, and Cassius Stanleys around for more than 1 year. They do that, and I believe the product will start to improve.

Personally I believe the super elite One-and-Done guys like Bagley or Zion have been saving college basketball the past 5 or so years. College basketball needs to welcome these guys still, even if it's only for 1 year. But again, they really need to focus on keeping non-first rounders around for more than 1 year, it was always like that until this decade.

Reactions: timo0402
The one and done isn't going anywhere. I'm thinking the new changes will be some of the elite recruits skip college, and some elite recruits still attend college.

I mentioned this on TheBrotherhood forum, but I think college basketball's biggest problem is guys leaving (in increasing numbers each year) that are 2nd rounders or undrafted guys. College basketball needs to figure out a way to keep the Trevon Duvals, Gary Trent's, and Cassius Stanleys around for more than 1 year. They do that, and I believe the product will start to improve.

Personally I believe the super elite One-and-Done guys like Bagley or Zion have been saving college basketball the past 5 or so years. College basketball needs to welcome these guys still, even if it's only for 1 year. But again, they really need to focus on keeping non-first rounders around for more than 1 year, it was always like that until this decade.
Let them enter that draft every year and that will protect those guys. Well Duval anyway

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT