ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee just landed Josiah James

Y’all can stress over next year all you want. I’m gonna enjoy the hell out of this season first. Beginning with the curb stomp we put on the little kitty cats.

Amen!!!

0pP8WwD.jpg

I think this kid was using Duke and then the idea that he was definitely going to Clemson to get his name out more, and it worked

I think this kid was using Duke and then the idea that he was definitely going to Clemson to get his name out more, and it worked

Stuff and nonsense. James wants to be the lead guard and have the ball in his hands all the time. Problem is, he's not a good enough shooter to do that, and probably not a good enough team runner. He's a very good, and possibly elite, wing player off the ball. He is capable of spending time at the 1-3, and possibly the 4. The 1 and 4 would be situationally, and should occur sporadically. Frankly, his weakness from the 3pt line make me less broken up about this than I'd have thought a few weeks ago.
James doesn't see it that way. He wants the ball in his hands a lot, which is code for he wants to shoot as much as possible, with no repercussions. Ok, that is probably a little harsh.
But, seriously, Duke and Clemson saw him (correctly) as a wing player. He wants to play exclusively at the PG, and I'd bet that UT was willing to accommodate him. Good luck to him.

I'm pretty happy with Duke's expanded net. Exclusive of a few long time top ranked players, Duke has done very well with rising players, not entrenched players. Guys like Kyrie, Ingram, Grayson, and Winslow. Some of the long term top level guys did well at Duke, like Carter, Tatum, Tyus, etc. I have similar expectations for RJ and Zion (and probably Cam). But some of the long term high level guys were a little disappointing, without naming names. They were fine at Duke, but they weren't elite. So I'm a little leery of guys outside the top 2-5 if they've been treading water for a few years.
To Wit: B. Antoine didn't have a great summer. Not bad or anything. He's still a great player. But he hasn't really progressed over the last year. He doesn't have elite size or athleticism. He's good in both areas, but he isn't elite. Not elite is a great statement of his current status.
James was a guy that wants to play PG. Heading into the summer, there was some thought he could do that. Now there isn't. He just doesn't have the team running skills, nor the perimeter shooting ability, to be a successful lead guard. He'd be a near elite wing player, but he's only interested in being a PG.
Contrast that with guys like Boogie, or (dream of dreams) Jayden McDaniels. Guys that are trending up. Or Hurt or Stewart. These guys are only going to get better.
And that doesn't even count Anthony or Carey, who will excel no matter what.

I think many are overthinking this whole notion that Duke has slipped in terms of losing out on these last two kids.
Supposedly, Duke has great chances to land Moore and Stewart. Then throw in Anthony. Now add the guys expected to be on the roster next season. You have O'Connell, Baker, White, Goldwire. Then we don't know what Tre will do after this season.

With all that, and I believe the staff has been after Moore a little longer, if you were Antoine and James, would you risk coming to Duke, or go somewhere else? As much as they "may" have grown up Duke fans, they're going where they feel will work out the best for their future.

So we're going to panic because a few recruits went somewhere else? I remember how upset I was the year Skype Boy went to UNX. Thought we'd never get another top recruit. Guess it turned out OK. I think Coach K might figure it out and deal with it.

Here's how I see it...

Between Alex O'Connell, Joey Baker, Jack White, Javin DeLaurier, and Marques Bolden, you probably have 3 starters in 2020. Now give me Tre Jones, Cole Anthony, or RJ Hampton running the show. And give me Vernon Carey or Isaiah Stewart down low on the block. Wendell Moore and anyone else would be icing on top. We'll be okay.

Potential 2020 starting lineup:
Tre Jones, So
Alex O'Connell, Jr
Joey Baker, So
Javin DeLaurier, Sr
Isaiah Stewart, Fr

Key Bench:
Marques Bolden, Sr
Jack White, Sr
Wendell Moore, Fr
Jordan Goldwire, Jr

Reactions: pisgah101
Understand everyone's panic but a few thoughts here
1) We will have quite possibly the most exciting (to watch) Duke team this season. I have a feeling once recruits see this product on the floor, then our "luck" may change. That also leads me into this fact, enjoy this year. Enjoy Zion, RJ, Cam. Duke has a chance to do something special this year, so enjoy it.
2) I am sure the staff has option A, B and C, so yes, Duke may have missed on a few recruits but I am sure they will be fine. Think of Jordan Tucker (yes it did not end well) but he was an example of a player who jumped all over the Duke offer, once they offered one. There are quality players out there who I am sure would jump over the offer.
3) This is just a question for anyone, what are your thoughts on this being the year Duke may jump in the transfer market. They sit well with a few high level 2020 recruits, so maybe they bring in a senior transfer that can contribute. That is always an option.

Lets not get too down guys, a GREAT season is right around the corner. Oh yeah the football team is about to be 4-0! Enjoy.

When we didn't land Barnes in the fall of 2009 those were different times. We weren't the recruiting monster that we currently are, plus we still projected to have All-American veteran players the season that would have been Barnes freshman year, Singler and Nolan, along with Kyrie.

This is different, we should still have guys like AOC, Bolden, Jav, Jordan, and Jack on the team next year, but those guys aren't Singler and Nolan. We need at least 1, probably 2 elite recruits to blend with our veteran players.
Singler, Nolan, and Kyrie didn't need the Black Falcon.

Tre coming back also seems vitally important, and I'm not certain that will happen either.

Reactions: Quavarius
When we didn't land Barnes in the fall of 2009 those were different times. We weren't the recruiting monster that we currently are, plus we still projected to have All-American veteran players the season that would have been Barnes freshman year, Singler and Nolan, along with Kyrie.

This is different, we should still have guys like AOC, Bolden, Jav, Jordan, and Jack on the team next year, but those guys aren't Singler and Nolan. We need at least 1, probably 2 elite recruits to blend with our veteran players.
Singler, Nolan, and Kyrie didn't need the Black Falcon.

Tre coming back also seems vitally important, and I'm not certain that will happen either.

How do you know how good those guys will be (baker too) in a season??

Reactions: QC Dukie
How do you know how good those guys will be (baker too) in a season??
I don't. But I'd bet literally anything that they won't be projected 1st team All-Americans like Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith.
Times are different now, if all our current guys are gonna be as good as Kyle and Nolan, they won't be playing college basketball next season.

Reactions: Quavarius
I don't. But I'd bet literally anything that they won't be projected 1st team All-Americans like Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith.
Times are different now, if all our current guys are gonna be as good as Kyle and Nolan, they won't be playing college basketball next season.

Projected no. Will they be? Who knows. AOC will be legit as a junior but we really don’t need them to be all American either.

Projected no. Will they be? Who knows. AOC will be legit as a junior but we really don’t need them to be all American either.
I agree. Kyle Singler in today's world probably wouldn't have stayed all 4 years. But he played with reckless abandon with his body. We need guys willing to do the dirty work to go along with the guys that are future nba stars.

It makes it a plus if the future stars are willing to dive for a loose ball or take a charge. That's what made our 15 team so good. You couldn't tell who demanded the ball. Okafor seemed just as happy scoring 8 points as he did 20.

Reactions: pisgah101
I hope so, looks like were gonna need AOC to become a star. I'm not at all trying to be negative, all I mean is that those saying "we will be fine, look at 2009 and the Harrison Barnes fiasco" are making a very poor comparison. Different times, different rosters, etc.

Once we win the title this year, I could care less about the next season anyway. We weren't great in 2016, but to me, it was still a fun ride, mainly because we still had the delicious title taste in our system.

I dont follow recruiting as closely as most on here but see when we get top 5 players en mass and the excitment that brings. However, missing some potential top talent may mean we get players that are talented but more likely to stay for more than a year. If that is the case, I am all in favor of losing the cream and gaining a team.

I hope so, looks like were gonna need AOC to become a star. I'm not at all trying to be negative, all I mean is that those saying "we will be fine, look at 2009 and the Harrison Barnes fiasco" are making a very poor comparison. Different times, different rosters, etc.

Once we win the title this year, I could care less about the next season anyway. We weren't great in 2016, but to me, it was still a fun ride, mainly because we still had the delicious title taste in our system.

If this year goes as hoped, Duke will be en vogue again.
Sure, we recruited well while Capel was at Duke. The on court product was frequently underwhelming. Lots of players might want to be associated with Duke after this year.

Should be
K talks a big game

He cant manage one and dones.

Your former 1 and dones never leave saying good comments. Always issues

The good OADs never seem to have any problems. I was a big of a Duval Fan as anyone, and I don't think we used him in the best way, but PGs that can't make 30% of their 3s aren't going to be in high demand. Trent, similarly, was a wing that refused to consistently make 3s, and that hurts their draft prospects. Cater has some legit complaints, but part of the reason we had to shift to zone D was because of his own struggles on D in the M2M. The glaring failures of Bags and Grayson in M2M drove the shift, but Carter's own failures on D didn't help. In retrospect, adding Bags to the roster may not have been the perfect decision, but sidekicks like Carter maybe shouldn't advertise that they are Robins who can't coexist with a Batman.
Who else complained? The PG from Utah that couldn't make threes or run a team?
Tatum, Ingram, and Irving are all doing fine and loved Duke. AKA the players who are actually good, rather than those deluded about how good they actually are.

Should be
K talks a big game

He cant manage one and dones.

Your former 1 and dones never leave saying good comments. Always issues

Welcome to the board. Have fun. That's the way I greet all 1st. posters. You may not be around long though. We do have lenient mods and they will give you so room. As for we posters it's gonna be tough. For some reason I think you've been here before . Like i said our mods are the best and they will let you make an idiot of yourself but just like that you will be gone. OFC

Welcome to the board. Have fun. That's the way I greet all 1st. posters. You may not be around long though. We do have lenient mods and they will give you so room. As for we posters it's gonna be tough. For some reason I think you've been here before . Like i said our mods are the best and they will let you make an idiot of yourself but just like that you will be gone. OFC
Honestly what I’ve never understood is how some people get off on that? Like oh let me show these random people that I’ll never meet, show them how to get riled up to the point where i get banned, so that i can go show or brag to these other people I’ve never met how cool i am , all while sitting behind a keyboard.

I mean really? Is your life that pathetic?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT