ADVERTISEMENT

Sweet 16

Why are we the late game if we are the highest seed? Isn't he highest seed supposed to be rewarded with additional rest before the next game? Is it entirely determined by ratings?

We had like a 6 point lead with 6 minutes to go. I think this denotes crunch time. RJ and Zion accounted for 8/10 shots (Z 6, RJ 2) to end the game from that point forward. Idk how that’s lack of usage, literally 80%. Those other 2 shots were a Reddish made 3PT and Jones missed 3PT.

They sagged off of Tre/JG, they wouldn’t of given AOC that space, and in return would have picked on him defensively. What other bench did we not utilize? Vrank and Baker? Bolden only saw roughly 8-10 minutes but if you’re suggesting swapping him for DeLaurier... Heck no.
Did you watch the game? ;)

Wait, I’m always arguing with someone but trying to find friends now....keep reaching making yourself look like Bobby Boucher. “weak sauce” :rolleyes::rolleyes: lmao
For some reason, I always find myself taking your side lol

Did you watch the game? ;)

Don’t pull me into y’alls squabble lol

I think a lot of fans (myself included sometimes) get upset about things before analyzing the reasoning behind things. When it comes to choosing JG or AOC, it’s a choice of “potential” offense or 100% guaranteed defense. I saw some posters on the DI insider forum of folks noting Zion taking 7 threes and playing out of element. Seems wrong when you’re watching it, but gotta sit back and realize that he was hitting a 7’6” brick wall in the paint and not getting whistles.

I do think that we need to stop letting Tre shoot 3s. Can’t blame him because it’s coach/team encouraged but it isn’t doing us any favors. I know the idea behind it is that he’s capable of making them, but at this level of competition it’s not worth the gamble.

Don’t pull me into y’alls squabble lol

I think a lot of fans (myself included sometimes) get upset about things before analyzing the reasoning behind things. When it comes to choosing JG or AOC, it’s a choice of “potential” offense or 100% guaranteed defense. I saw some posters on the DI insider forum of folks noting Zion taking 7 threes and playing out of element. Seems wrong when you’re watching it, but gotta sit back and realize that he was hitting a 7’6” brick wall in the paint and not getting whistles.

I do think that we need to stop letting Tre shoot 3s. Can’t blame him because it’s coach/team encouraged but it isn’t doing us any favors. I know the idea behind it is that he’s capable of making them, but at this level of competition it’s not worth the gamble.
Hey I just didn’t feel like explaining it to a.....:) thanks

I don't think it matters much who the opponent is. This team is going to shave years off the lives of all its fans. I worry about the OFC. I hope they're current on their nitroglycerin patches. I'd hate to see them turning to the black market (aka retirement home).

I don't think it matters much who the opponent is. This team is going to shave years off the lives of all its fans. I worry about the OFC. I hope they're current on their nitroglycerin patches. I'd hate to see them turning to the black market (aka retirement home).

Another game like last night and I'll be joining the OFC a few years early!!

Why are we the late game if we are the highest seed? Isn't he highest seed supposed to be rewarded with additional rest before the next game? Is it entirely determined by ratings?

That's never been how it goes in the NCAAT. For conference tournaments, most are dictated that way. This is pretty much for money. The NCAA doesn't want Duke and UNC playing at the same time.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
That's never been how it goes in the NCAAT. For conference tournaments, most are dictated that way. This is pretty much for money. The NCAA doesn't want Duke and UNC playing at the same time.

It has been this way since at least 2010. I remember freaking out because Duke was playing Baylor during church services and I was going to have to miss the game. I rushed back to my computer right after to find out the score and needless to say, I was delighted. Every year Duke plays in the NCAAT while I’m at church and I have to record the game.

I think Tre Jones need to stop shooting threes. He shot it 8 times today, and made 1.
Ya know...if you are that open from three, you could drive in a few feet and try to make something happen. He doesn't always have to settle for that three.

Not everyone is calling out the lack of depth but it’s insanely low with basically 6.5 guys. The issue I have is putting Zion in a spot last night (and against UNC) where he’s the “5”. When he has another big to work next to (see Vrank against UNC), he’s much more effective. If they leave him solo against Blackshear, which I have a feeling K will get lulled in to, could be a L for Duke.

I agree somewhat with the depth. I didn't really address it in my last post. I like seeing Zion next to another big. Im not exactly sure why Bolden didnt play a little more last night. Perhaps he didn't fit the scheme defensively, and he certainly wasn't killing it on offense, but I feel like even on bad days his size makes him scarier to guard than Jav. That said Jav played really well overall (though come on man, make a dang FT) last night. He had numerous hustle plays and steals/rebounds in big spots. The only thing I like about Zion at 5 is that he instantly becomes a mismatch or teams have to play some ridiculous sagging zone/man bull crap like UCF did last night. I know our shooting gets a bad wrap, but imo Tre and Goldwire didn't shoot enough. There were too many times they stared and thought about it. The dude was 5 ft off, just catch and shoot. We made like 9 or 10 as a team. Down the stretch its not like driving into the lane was a sure thing. RJ missed a bunch over the packed defense, Cam is a living charge waiting to be taken, and Zion had to make an incredibly tough look just to finish the semi-game winner.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
We had like a 6 point lead with 6 minutes to go. I think this denotes crunch time. RJ and Zion accounted for 8/10 shots (Z 6, RJ 2) to end the game from that point forward. Idk how that’s lack of usage, literally 80%. Those other 2 shots were a Reddish made 3PT and Jones missed 3PT.

They sagged off of Tre/JG, they wouldn’t of given AOC that space, and in return would have picked on him defensively. What other bench did we not utilize? Vrank and Baker? Bolden only saw roughly 8-10 minutes but if you’re suggesting swapping him for DeLaurier... Heck no.

I’m not

Anyone think VT is going to throw a packed in zone on us?
Maybe.....the problem with that is that if we get it to the middle (RJ/Zion) are great in there. If they take the middle away we should be able to throw over the top. Plus we are a good offensive rebounding team and running zone makes defensive rebounding more difficult. Taco took ALL that away yesterday.

Maybe.....the problem with that is that if we get it to the middle (RJ/Zion) are great in there. If they take the middle away we should be able to throw over the top. Plus we are a good offensive rebounding team and running zone makes defensive rebounding more difficult. Taco took ALL that away yesterday.
If not a “Zone” it will defiantly be sagging going on. I don’t know what you call that. Saggin lol throw a sagging at us.

If not a “Zone” it will defiantly be sagging going on. I don’t know what you call that. Saggin lol throw a sagging at us.
Yea that's kinda what Virgina does. A pack line defense. They want to take away dribble penitration, fast breaks and offensive rebounding.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I think we handle VT rather easily Fri night, I like that they already beat us.

As far as the Goldwire/AOC debate goes, to me, this should make us all appreciate Matt Jones. He kind of combined what both excel at best, he could lock up on defense, and he could at least stand in the corner and hit the wide open 3. Sure, he couldn't do anything else, but when you're surrounded by superstars, that's really all a team needs.

Goldwire gives great defense 100% of the time and no offense.
AOC gives great offense 80% of the time and no defense.

Also...glad to be back on here. I moved and that took weeks of my free time away.

Last edited:
I think we handle VT rather easily Fri night, I like that they already beat us.

As far as the Goldwire/AOC debate goes, to me, this should make us all appreciate Matt Jones. He kind of combines what both excel at best, he could lock up on defense, and he could at least stand in the corner and hit the wide open 3. Sure, he couldn't do anything else, but when you're surrounded by superstars, that's really all a team needs.

Goldwire gives great defense 100% of the time and no offense.
AOC gives great offense 80% of the time and no defense.

Also...glad to be back on here. I moved and that took weeks of my free time away.

good to know I was starting to wonder

I understand, to a point, Tre and Jordan taking a wide open 3. What I dont understand is them taking that 3 with 20+ seconds on the shot clock with little or no ball movement preceding it. If they are not guarding Tre and Jordan, they can get that same shot, virtually guaranteed as the clock winds down. Why wouldn't you swing the ball around a couple of times to try to get the D out of position, draw a foul, make them work hard on D, and have a better chance of D being out of place for an offensive rebound if Tre or Jordan are forced to take a wide open 3 at the end of the clock. Same shot, other team forced to burn energy moving, and multiple chances to get Zion, RJ, or Cam a good look.

The top 3 seeds from all 4 regions plus two 4 seeds reached the Sweet 16. Is this the most top 4 seeds that have ever reached the Sweet 16?

I understand, to a point, Tre and Jordan taking a wide open 3. What I dont understand is them taking that 3 with 20+ seconds on the shot clock with little or no ball movement preceding it. If they are not guarding Tre and Jordan, they can get that same shot, virtually guaranteed as the clock winds down. Why wouldn't you swing the ball around a couple of times to try to get the D out of position, draw a foul, make them work hard on D, and have a better chance of D being out of place for an offensive rebound if Tre or Jordan are forced to take a wide open 3 at the end of the clock. Same shot, other team forced to burn energy moving, and multiple chances to get Zion, RJ, or Cam a good look.
That is a good point that when they take those early open looks, we don't keep their defense off guard and virtually never get rebounds.

I’d like to see Tre get one three attempt per half (only when wide open, which tends to be the case since teams are letting him shoot). If he makes that first one, then he can keep shooting until he misses one, then stop. Unless he hits 7 in a row, then a couple more heat checks. Otherwise he needs to pump fake & drive for a floater or, if left wide open, step in 4-5 ft and take a mid range jump shot.

This is rare time I like the late tip, kids have middle school sports Friday night.

DC will have plenty of Duke fans!

I'm one of the guys on here arguing for more shooting from Tre especially. Maybe the only one who thinks he should just keep shooting when open. But, I agree whole heatedly with this idea. It comes back to what I've been saying that his shot is not fundamentally flawed (its not a thing of beauty but its not broken either), but the problem with him seems to be not shooting in rhythm or knowing when to shoot. This leads to jerky "maybe-maybe-not" shots, or driving into packed lanes and ruining spacing. So yeah, running the offense a little longer kinda forces him to be in a catch and shoot position. Now if they are playing him a little more honest (like UNC/FSU did) then he can and will break them down other ways. I just disagree with those who argue that he can dribble in and create or shoot a pull-up vs the pack defense. It doesn't work that way, they are packed to take those shots away. Bottom line, hes a D-1, future NBA player. I have met many D-2 and D-3 guys who in a gym uncontested could make shots for days. I know thats not the same as a real game etc. but a high-level talent like Tre CAN make that shot. Its a when/confidence issue currently

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT