ADVERTISEMENT

Sweet 16

I don’t like seeing you 2 fighting. Y’all need to quit already. Duke won, everything should be good.

“K needs to start doing some caching”.....lmao sheeeshhh :rolleyes:

I know you're joking, but unfortunately The last few years Duke doesnt really look like a coached team. More or less just roll the ball out there and let the guys do what they do. Love Coach K, but he just doesnt get near as involved like he used to.

Reactions: pisgah101
This was going to be a tough game. Tech? Yeah. They’re solid. But, Krzyzewski has a week to prepare and, more importantly, coach. This was a win that he can honestly say, “Guys, you got lucky!”

UCF had a guy with freakish size and the Son of Dawkins who played the game of his life. Tech beat us. That’s true. But, Duke will have a chip on their shoulder for that game.

I can’t for the life of me understand why we didn’t hack Falls to death down the stretch..seemed an easy coaching move especially when you go Zone and pretty much concede we can’t stop them when our calling card has been our man to man defense the entire year..Dawkins doesn’t get all those wide open threes if we are not in the zone..

Not playing AOC for space, Tre jacking up shot after shot....there where a lot of very questionable coaching decisions this game...we got lucky..I am greatfull we did...

I can’t for the life of me understand why we didn’t hack Falls to death down the stretch..seemed an easy coaching move especially when you go Zone and pretty much concede we can’t stop them when our calling card has been our man to man defense the entire year..Dawkins doesn’t get all those wide open threes if we are not in the zone..

Not playing AOC for space, Tre jacking up shot after shot....there where a lot of very questionable coaching decisions this game...we got lucky..I am greatfull we did...

I was calling for it in the first half. Inexcusable to not use 15 fouls on him in the second half. They literally wouldn't have scored or be forced to take him out of the game. Boggles the mind, especially when they got red hot and was hitting everything they put up.

Thing about going zone is it takes away from the ball pressure Goldwire has been bringing defensively...if you are going to go zone put in a shooter like AOC and let’s make it rain..you can hide his defensive ability in the zone then...just a lot of things didn’t make sense like that...pretty much negated Goldwire at that point because he can’t help you defensively and he isn’t going to help offensively either...the plan didn’t fit the personal on the floor..

You could go on and on with it...let Bolden play center so Zion is quicker on the wings...move Barrett or Cam up top and have more length in the zone...etc...lots of stuff didn’t make sense..

Anyone that says Virginia Tech will win just flat out think they're better than us and that's foolish. The first game came down to the last minute and we had a chance to tie. Just missed the shot. We match up better with them with Zion back on the floor. We can go small just like them. Before it was Javin and Ques in there when we went small. This time it'll be Zion. In the first game we had Alex out there playing defense at a key point. It was his man that was left wide open for the go ahead 3 pointer. It'll be different this time. Zion will give us easy buckets. Robinson is not going to be more impactful for them than Zion is for us. If it's close, we WILL find a way to win

Reactions: christophero
Agreed... 8 threes attempted by Tre needs to be limited. I was going to say my concern is the way VT can make the three ball but it seems like most games this year our opponent has shot better from the three.

Easier said than done but I like the Tre who can shoot that floater even a mid range shot. Create more by driving to the rim like we have seen. Today’s matchup would not have allowed that.

I'm not really worried about this one. I think Duke finally decides to pound somebody in the paint.

Agreed. We should’ve beat them in Blacksburg without Zion (they didn’t have Robinson) so facing them in DC or anywhere is a matchup that I’m good with. The only team that’s really outplayed us in the ACC is UNC even though we won in the ACC Tournament. That’s the team that I worry about most.

VT in DC - that place will be a road environment for Duke. Now that Robinson is healthy, Duke will have their hands full.

What do y’all think?
We will have just as many fans if not more . Alot of people have already brought tickets plus its just as close to durham as blacksburg

You and the majority of the gameday thread posters are one of a kind.

A lot of the critiques of Coach K are ridiculous. Put in Alex more...but then we are pissed if he gets roasted on defense or out-rebounded somewhere.

Call Cam's #, yet we haven't run a set play for a shooter all year. And besides, who hit the big 3 in the comeback? Wasn't than Cam....hmmm, guess coach had nothing to do with that one.

The zone and zone press worked for about a 12 minute stretch over the end of the 1st half and some of the second half. We weren't exactly stopping them in man to man. We had foul trouble (team and Cam), and the refs were a bit tight on some things that we have gotten away with all year. So yeah they hit a few big shots against the zone when they got hot, but the situation could have been far worse if not for the zone.

I agree with the idea that the team looks less coached in recent years in a classical sense. But thats where most of us (yes I include myself) fail to understand true basketball coaching. Its not about motion offenses and set plays, or switching in and out of zones. Its about getting the team to play together for a common good. With a veteran crew we would do more things. But with young teams the idea is to keep it simple so they can play together.

All I'm saying is there is a lot more to coaching basketball than the simple adjustments we talk about on here. Not saying K is above questioning, but it was one game. For the vast majority of this season we have been the team to make better adjustments to win games (Goldwire vs Cam Johnson comes to mind).

If you dont question the GOAT and play couch coach you’re an idiot. Better dust off your feathers and get with the program Hahahah.

A lot of the critiques of Coach K are ridiculous. Put in Alex more...but then we are pissed if he gets roasted on defense or out-rebounded somewhere.

Call Cam's #, yet we haven't run a set play for a shooter all year. And besides, who hit the big 3 in the comeback? Wasn't than Cam....hmmm, guess coach had nothing to do with that one.

The zone and zone press worked for about a 12 minute stretch over the end of the 1st half and some of the second half. We weren't exactly stopping them in man to man. We had foul trouble (team and Cam), and the refs were a bit tight on some things that we have gotten away with all year. So yeah they hit a few big shots against the zone when they got hot, but the situation could have been far worse if not for the zone.

I agree with the idea that the team looks less coached in recent years in a classical sense. But thats where most of us (yes I include myself) fail to understand true basketball coaching. Its not about motion offenses and set plays, or switching in and out of zones. Its about getting the team to play together for a common good. With a veteran crew we would do more things. But with young teams the idea is to keep it simple so they can play together.

All I'm saying is there is a lot more to coaching basketball than the simple adjustments we talk about on here. Not saying K is above questioning, but it was one game. For the vast majority of this season we have been the team to make better adjustments to win games (Goldwire vs Cam Johnson comes to mind).

Not everyone is calling out the lack of depth but it’s insanely low with basically 6.5 guys. The issue I have is putting Zion in a spot last night (and against UNC) where he’s the “5”. When he has another big to work next to (see Vrank against UNC), he’s much more effective. If they leave him solo against Blackshear, which I have a feeling K will get lulled in to, could be a L for Duke.

Reactions: RanDEVILman
Me settle down? I’m chill, I got called an idiot. What have I said? Exactly, go back to your cave. :)

Yep, you didn’t take your meds. And cave? Don’t try that weak sauce - Meh I edited my last post. Poor bastard ipsychotic trying to find friends on a message board (and seen as the “gimp” on this board). Comedic gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
Yep, you didn’t take your meds. And cave? Don’t try that weak sauce - I’ll buy and sell you all day, everyday. Money doesn’t make a man, and I have far more shortcomings than most here, but I also know my strengths, and telling me I live in a cave is pure idiocy from a kid living at home (and seen as the “gimp” on this board).
Everything you just said is “pure idiocy” “I have far more shortcomings than most here” Admittance is the first step:)

Last edited:
Wait, I’m always arguing with someone but trying to find friends now....keep reaching making yourself look like Bobby Boucher. “weak sauce” :rolleyes::rolleyes: lmao

How?! Do you not watch the game ? Lack of Barrett and Zion in crunch time, cam actually hit and gets 0 shots, no bench usage at all when they were sagging off every shooter and we have killers on the bench. Falling into play their slow down game when we could have run the brakes off of them

We had like a 6 point lead with 6 minutes to go. I think this denotes crunch time. RJ and Zion accounted for 8/10 shots (Z 6, RJ 2) to end the game from that point forward. Idk how that’s lack of usage, literally 80%. Those other 2 shots were a Reddish made 3PT and Jones missed 3PT.

They sagged off of Tre/JG, they wouldn’t of given AOC that space, and in return would have picked on him defensively. What other bench did we not utilize? Vrank and Baker? Bolden only saw roughly 8-10 minutes but if you’re suggesting swapping him for DeLaurier... Heck no.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT