ADVERTISEMENT

Sports things that just bug you....

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
It’s the off-season, so time for another pointless thread.

What is something, sports-related, that just bugs you?

For me, it’s when someone says they lost, then they list the score wrong. You didn’t lose 37-40, you lost 40-37. Why do so many people say 37-40? I just don’t get it.

I’m also a huge baseball fan, but unfortunately, MLB is becoming unwatchable for me. There’s no reason the average game, and I said average, should last three hours. I think they’re losing fans at a rapid rate.

Reviews, challenges, etc. I get the importance of them, but it’s terrible, especially in football.

Also the “catch-rule” in football is the dumbest thing ever. NFL is the biggest sport in America and can’t figure out what a catch is.

TV timeouts in college basketball every 4 minutes make me want to break my TV.

I don’t watch baseball but the overall slowness I read has only gotten worse. Strike outs and home-runs!! Boring.....

When I’m playing golf and a slow group is in front of me and the group behind me hits into me. I once picked up a nice drive that landed right beside me and refused to return the ball. The guy went ballistic, but I just smiled and said maybe it landed in my cart’s tail pipe. He backed off eventually. It felt great to ruin that jerk’s day.

Reactions: skysdad
It’s the off-season, so time for another pointless thread.

What is something, sports-related, that just bugs you?

For me, it’s when someone says they lost, then they list the score wrong. You didn’t lose 37-40, you lost 40-37. Why do so many people say 37-40? I just don’t get it.

I’m also a huge baseball fan, but unfortunately, MLB is becoming unwatchable for me. There’s no reason the average game, and I said average, should last three hours. I think they’re losing fans at a rapid rate.

Could not agree with you more! That is the biggest pet peeve of mine! The score wasnt 71-80 it is 80-71!

When I’m playing golf and a slow group is in front of me and the group behind me hits into me. I once picked up a nice drive that landed right beside me and refused to return the ball. The guy went ballistic, but I just smiled and said maybe it landed in my cart’s tail pipe. He backed off eventually. It felt great to ruin that jerk’s day.
I've played with folks that return to sender. Golf can be a dangerous sport.

Playing golf, and the first one done putting on the green doesn't grab the flag. Hate it when one of the guys walk back to the cart before the others are done as well.

All the posts about Golf reminded me of me and my nephew fishing a little over 2 weeks ago. My dad is the superintendent at the local country club in my hometown. So me and my nephew go out to the country club fishing every once in awhile because there are like 6-7 different ponds on the golf course and a little over 2 weeks ago while we were at one of the ponds fishing where the tee is right next to the pond when a father and son ride up to the tee on their golf cart. The dad tee’d up his golf ball and took his swing and his golf ball went straight into the pond then his son tee’d up his golf ball and took his swing and his golf ball went straight into the pond in pretty much the same spot that his dad’s golf ball did, so me and my nephew decided it was time to move on to another pond before those two golfers or other golfers hit us with a golf ball. lol

I love MLB but like DJ they games last way to long. I can't stand to see a batter step out of the box after every pitch and adjust his batting glove. In the same breath I don't like to see a pitcher stand on the mound for 15 or more seconds and shake off pitch after pitch. I despise all commercials. Old school on this one and I just can't help it. Excessive celebrations in the NFL. I know there are times when there is a great play or a game winning T.D. when players get excited.Act like you done it before. I'll use Cam Newton as an example and his Superman thing. You don't see him doing it when he screws up. Back to baseball. I don't like it when a pitcher hits a batter and the ump warns both benches and if another batter is hit the pitcher is ejected. Something unfair about that. OFC

I love MLB but like DJ they games last way to long. I can't stand to see a batter step out of the box after every pitch and adjust his batting glove. In the same breath I don't like to see a pitcher stand on the mound for 15 or more seconds and shake off pitch after pitch. I despise all commercials. Old school on this one and I just can't help it. Excessive celebrations in the NFL. I know there are times when there is a great play or a game winning T.D. when players get excited.Act like you done it before. I'll use Cam Newton as an example and his Superman thing. You don't see him doing it when he screws up. Back to baseball. I don't like it when a pitcher hits a batter and the ump warns both benches and if another batter is hit the pitcher is ejected. Something unfair about that. OFC
I’ve been a Panthers fan since the beginning but Cam Newton drives me crazy with all of his different celebrations. The Superman celebration that you mentioned as well as when he does/did the Dab after every big play or when he does the fancy point whenever he gets a first down. His celebrations are the biggest reason that so many people dislike/hate him.

Reactions: hpnole
Given the news today about sports betting, I’ll go with spreads that end in “.5”. Like when OU was favored by 38.5 points against KU in football and are up by 38 with 5+ minutes to go and are at the KU 10 yard line then proceed to take Baker Mayfield out of the game, get a couple huge penalties, punt and quit playing football. Not a gripe against the players, but at Vegas. So often I bet a line that ends in “.5” and that .5 is what screws me. I swear there’s a little man somewhere watching me make a bet and pushing that Buffalo Wild Wing button at the ends of games just to F with me.

Also, when fans rush the court or field or set couches or dumpsters on fire to celebrate a win (looking at you, Maryland fans).

I’ve been a Panthers fan since the beginning but Cam Newton drives me crazy with all of his different celebrations. The Superman celebration that you mentioned as well as when he does/did the Dab after every big play or when he does the fancy point whenever he gets a first down. His celebrations are the biggest reason that so many people dislike/hate him.
My biggest beef with celebrations (especially QBs) is when they do a dance or another gesture celebrating a first down. Cam is bad about that. You do this celebration for a first down and then the following play you throw an INT. Save the celebration for the ultimate goal of a drive. A touchdown.

Cam has gotten better at it. That said still not his biggest fan.

Refs. Is it just me or when they miss one call they try to make up for it at the most pivotal point during games.

"Get in the hole!"

Just to watch the ball sail into the water.

Shut up.
I hate "GET IN THE HOLE!!",also hate slow motion replays of swings.they are not gonna improve my game at all.Commercials,I get it that they are a necessary evil,but c'mon,4 minutes of commercials,then a 10 second kick off,taking a knee in the end zone,then 4 more minutes of commercials.Re showing of challenges,one or two times is ok,but not 20 plus,Ball players rituals in the batters box,after every pitch,step out,adjust helmet,loosen and tighten batting gloves,scratch nuts them back in the box

Missing the front end of a one and one drives me nuts.

Standing behind me while I’m putting so that you can get a look at the read.

Slow groups in front of me on the course who have no one in front of them and they refuse to let you play through or speed up.

Unsolicited advice on the golf course- my dad is notrorious for this one.

I hate the amount of time spent on non-game action during games, in any sport. I quit playing fantasy football last year and didn't watch much football as a result (I was also a Chargers fan, so that may also have something to do with it).

http://www.businessinsider.com/football-games-air-only-11-minutes-of-action-2010-1

avg-nfl-broadcast-commercials-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheel0910
I'm so impatient with sports anymore that I rarely, rarely watch anything live. Seriously, how do you baseball fans survive? DVR is amazing!!

I can watch 2 complete college basketball games in the span of about 90 minutes. I'm not wasting my time on commercials or breaks in the game. I really don't know how anyone can watch the end of a college basketball game live.

Reactions: sgrooms
The thing that really ticks me off is how, especially in college basketball, ESPN, FOX and CBS all try to show us all the camera angles they employ during the games. The love to show shots from the corners of the stadiums, from underneath the basket on free throws where you can't see rebound battles, from directly overhead and from the floor level right at midcourt which is so up close your eyes can't focus on the action. I do not mind using these shots for replays but not while the live action is happening. Do the realize that these camera angles represent the worst seats in the gym? Oh, and ESPN loves to cut the screens in half for all kinds of crap during the games.

As far as some of the baseball arguments, I am a big MLB (and Dodger fan...yes, we suck this year) but I agree completely about the length of the games making it tough to watch. I read an interview with Jim Kaat last week where he proposes shortening the games to 7 innings. I thought that was crazy at first but then he made some excellent points. Not only would the game be shortened by the 2 innings but it would also entail less pitching changes. As he stated, you would basically only need your starters for 5 innings and then a setup man for the 6th and your closer for the seventh. In lots of cases you would be doing away with the countless pitching changes that currently happen in the 6th and 7th innings. You could decrease pitching staffs from 12-13 pitchers down to 9 or 10 and go back to 4 man rotations. For the purists that worry about the effect on baseball records, they were basically out the door with 162 game seasons, the DH, juiced balls and PEDs. It makes sense and may keep fans interested with shorter games. Would lessen the possibility of injuries also.

I hate it when there fouls called in a half are 4 to 1 or 5 to 1 and you know the next 3-4 whistles are going the other way to even things up. I feel like the team that has the 1 foul should bring in a scrub to take 3 fouls just because you know the refs will try to even things up. I mean, sometimes one team is fouling much more than the other!

Reactions: sgrooms
Meaningless cliches, like "giving 110%" or "doing what we're capable of doing" and many many many more.
OFC

Cam's celebrations are so uncool, that's why people cannot stand him. Reminds me of A-Rod, tries to hard to be cool.

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
Barkley and Kenny Smith narrative about "the next level being superior" meaning NBA. Then I turn on last two mins of NBA game and its pure chaos.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Would any of you Cam-haters like to trade him to the Bengals for Andy Dalton?? I will personally drive Dalton to Charlotte.

Give me Cam and the over-exuberant celebrations any day of the week, at least he gets in the end-zone....

Reactions: GillJET
Icing the kicker in football. Watched two or three in a row in a game this past season. Also, they wait until the kicker has stepped forward to call time out. Would like to see a rule where the defense cannot call timeout once the offense breaks the huddle. How about in BB , you cannot call timeout unless you have possession. That would end calling timeout to ice the free throw shooter. Something to keep the last 2 minutes of a close game from lasting 30 mins.

Would any of you Cam-haters like to trade him to the Bengals for Andy Dalton?? I will personally drive Dalton to Charlotte.

Give me Cam and the over-exuberant celebrations any day of the week, at least he gets in the end-zone....

98% of this board are not Panther fans, your barking up the wrong tree my friend lol.

The last 2 minutes of a College basketball game can drive me utterly insane, especially if it bleeds over to me missing the beginning of a Duke game. You are down 12 with 30 seconds left, your teams suck, stop fouling, if your had played better you wouldn't be in this position just go away already, your not going to come back and win (I know every once in a while they do, but I don't care, stop doing it.)

When a team is losing by like 30 points and then they only end up losing by like 4-5 points and the commentator goes "WOW YOU REALLY HAVE TO GIVE THEM A LOT OF CREDIT, THEY ALMOST DID IT!!" But they didn't, they still lost, so what credit am I suppose to give them again? More than the team that actually won?

Reactions: Willcampbell

Yep I’d take Cam over having to have some mediocre QB.

For all those talking about MLB being so slow, well at least now they are desperately trying to fix it. They’ve put a limit on mound visits to 6 per game, which began this season. And they will continue to implement more and more things in the future to help speed up the pace of play.

Reactions: jwill133 and hpnole

None of us said that we don’t like Cam as a player. We just said that we’re not fans of his excessive celebrations.

Reactions: sgrooms and skysdad

I agree with a lot of your post jwill and don't necessarily disagree with this one but that's beside the point. Cam doesn't need to do the superman thing. He is so good all he has to do is play. I'm sitting here thinking about a lot of the great running backs who played the game and a few come to mind. Emmitt Smith, Walter Peyton, Jim Brown, Larry Czonka and Barry Saunders stand out. When they scored or did something spectacular they just simply handed the ball the the ref. Yes they came from a different era but they were players who celebrated a little to the extreme back then. Yes it is because of me being old school but I wish Cam would just cool it and be more of a leader. I'm a Colt fan but I will pull for the Panthers if not playing for the Colts so I'm pulling for the Panthers just about every Sunday and I hope Cam plays well and no way would I trade him for Dalton. OFC

Reactions: hpnole and jwill133
How about the playing of national anthems at professional sports events? I'm all in for it at the Olympics because athlete's are competing for their countries,i love watching the gold medal winner's reactions as they watch their flag being raised,and listening to their countries national anthem.Pro's are paid athletes working for a team in a specific city.Here in Canada,when a pro team plays an American team,you get to hear two anthems.Most teams now have players representing multiple countries,imagine if they decided to play the anthems of all the players

When it is an obvious end-of-game foul situation, you have a timeout left, and you inbound the ball directly to the worst free-throw shooter on the team.

Still not over our loss at Virginia Tech, cost us a 1 seed.

Also..I think the college possession arrow rule is dumb. My preference would be how the NBA does it, do a jump-ball with the 2 guys involved. Or the defense always gets the ball.

Last edited:
I don't like the bat flip or standing at the plate when someone hits a home run. That's just asking for retaliation from the pitcher and sometimes it's not the player that hit the home run that gets thrown at. Don't like it when the pitcher shows up a batter either. OFC

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT