ADVERTISEMENT

So it sounds like Bagley will wear Ferry's number

Jason wanted #1 too and K said no

Shows Coach can change his mind about things as times change but it could be that #'s 1 and 0 just about had to be brought in simply because of more retired #s. One thing that Coach K will never change is his principles. OFC

Reactions: dbav and dukehokie
TAgain, I have no issues with it, especially because his request isn't totally uncommon.

Which is exactly why I have a problem w/it. I dont think unretiring a number, especially for a One And Done player should be an option. For some other programs- yeah maybe, but Duke Basketball, I oppose such a maneuver.

However, in addition to being a great talent Bagley seems like a great kid. I am thrilled to have him. I just happen to be against unretiring a jersey.OFC

Which is exactly why I have a problem w/it. I dont think unretiring a number, especially for a One And Done player should be an option. For some other programs- yeah maybe, but Duke Basketball, I oppose such a maneuver.

However, in addition to being a great talent Bagley seems like a great kid. I am thrilled to have him. I just happen to be against unretiring a jersey.OFC
Just because a new player asks a former player for permission to use the former players jersey number doesn't mean that the number isn't still retired because it's not like they take the jersey out of the rafters just because a new player asked a former player for permission to use that number. In the situations that I've seen recruits request to use a number that's retired, it's been because they wore that number in high school and want to stick with that number, so they ask the former player that used the retired number for permission to use it, in some cases the former player said yes and in some cases the former said no. The only way that I would have a problem with a new player wearing a former players retired number would be if the former player was asked for permission and said no but the new player was allowed to use the number anyway.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Just because a new player asks a former player for permission to use the former players jersey number doesn't mean that the number isn't still retired because it's not like they take the jersey out of the rafters just because a new player asked a former player for permission to use that number. In the situations that I've seen recruits request to use a number that's retired, it's been because they wore that number in high school and want to stick with that number, so they ask the former player that used the retired number for permission to use it, in some cases the former player said yes and in some cases the former said no. The only way that I would have a problem with a new player wearing a former players retired number would be if the former player was asked for permission and said no but the new player was allowed to use the number anyway.

I respect your argument, just disagree with the philosophy. If its retired it should remain this way IMO. Thats just not Duke basketball to me to unretire a jersey. I see us selling out a bit in that regard.

However, salute to Danny Ferry- he was all for it according to the Duke Chronicle and I applaud his gesture. The collegiate game has really changed. OFC

Have his philosophies been changed by the kids, or has he changed because he felt the old ideals weren't necessary?

The hair thing for instance, that went away without much incident. That, to me, was a good change. I can understand how someone from a military background would not appreciate the way kids wear their hair, but it gives them a chance to express themselves and frankly build a brand, which is what you're doing as a college athlete anymore.

I get your point of view, but I'm not sure the kids have forced his hand.

dude he gave the jersey #1 to guys who never even wore the number in high school. Coach k pushed that number on them. You can't tell me that they asked to wear #1. The hair thing was cool i didn't mind that.

dude he gave the jersey #1 to guys who never even wore the number in high school. Coach k pushed that number on them. You can't tell me that they asked to wear #1. The hair thing was cool i didn't mind that.

Austin asked for #0, Jabari initially wanted #22 (his high school number), but then went with #1 after what it represented with Kyrie (who requested #1 and who K made the original exception for). At that point it became a "thing" for the one and dones of the class to wear it. No one from the 2015 team had #1, which K could have easily "pushed" on any of those guys.

I don't think you're "wrong" that K is changing with the times. I just don't agree that K is being forced to change by anyone, key word there is forced.

I respect your argument, just disagree with the philosophy. If its retired it should remain this way IMO. Thats just not Duke basketball to me to unretire a jersey. I see us selling out a bit in that regard.

However, salute to Danny Ferry- he was all for it according to the Duke Chronicle and I applaud his gesture. The collegiate game has really changed. OFC

Duke basketball under K has always been about pride and adaptation. A distinct military trait. Bagley is paying correct homage to Ferry, while at the same time K is adapting by working with two different eras to create a potential great image. I think this can be viewed as precisely what Duke basketball represents.

No one is being forgotten here. It's actually quite the contrary. Imagine how many young kids will now know who Danny Ferry is. Hell, this is the most we've talked about him on this board haha.

Duke basketball under K has always been about pride and adaptation. A distinct military trait. Bagley is paying correct homage to Ferry, while at the same time K is adapting by working with two different eras to create a potential great image. I think this can be viewed as precisely what Duke basketball represents.

No one is being forgotten here. It's actually quite the contrary. Imagine how many young kids will now know who Danny Ferry is. Hell, this is the most we've talked about him on this board haha.

Sorry, I am a pretty much a purist and traditionalist on something like this. I agree about the positive reminiscing it will bring Danny, I just remain opposed to it, and hope it doesnt become a trend. "Hey coach my son wants to wear Battier's jersey for his one season at Duke?" Lol...Somewhat surprised K didnt talk to Danny himself about this. I commend Coach Capel for handling the matter so well, particularly as he FOLLOWED Danny at Duke. Couldnt have been easy for him-job well done by Jeff.

OFC

I just remain opposed to it, and hope it doesnt become a trend. "Hey coach my son wants to wear Battier's jersey for his one season at Duke?"

Ferry himself begs to differ:

"[Associate head coach] Jeff Capel and I had talked about it a while ago, at which time I offered and said I was totally fine with it at some point if they needed to use one of the retired jerseys," Ferry said. "I’m very proud my jersey will still be hanging in Cameron, but I’m most attached to what is best for Duke and the basketball program."

"Speaking pragmatically, with so many retired jerseys and the great tradition that hopefully continues, this was going to be an issue going forward for the school at some level," Ferry said. "For it being a high-quality player and a high-character kid, it certainly makes decisions like this easy."

"I had heard he was a wonderful young man through the coaches and felt like he had incredible poise and represented himself and his family very well last night," Ferry said. "I think it’s terrific for Marvin to wear 35 if he desires, and we’ll warmly welcome him to the Duke family. I hope he has an incredible experience at Duke."

Ferry himself begs to differ:

"[Associate head coach] Jeff Capel and I had talked about it a while ago, at which time I offered and said I was totally fine with it at some point if they needed to use one of the retired jerseys," Ferry said. "I’m very proud my jersey will still be hanging in Cameron, but I’m most attached to what is best for Duke and the basketball program."

"Speaking pragmatically, with so many retired jerseys and the great tradition that hopefully continues, this was going to be an issue going forward for the school at some level," Ferry said. "For it being a high-quality player and a high-character kid, it certainly makes decisions like this easy."

"I had heard he was a wonderful young man through the coaches and felt like he had incredible poise and represented himself and his family very well last night," Ferry said. "I think it’s terrific for Marvin to wear 35 if he desires, and we’ll warmly welcome him to the Duke family. I hope he has an incredible experience at Duke."

Yeah I can read dude....already saw this...Like I said my opinion...

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Ferry told him to wear the number yet some fans are so damn arrogant that THEY think it's inappropriate. Guess what...Nobody really cares what you think!

Reactions: GAAP
Ferry told him to wear the number yet some fans are so damn arrogant that THEY think it's inappropriate. Guess what...Nobody really cares what you think!
In this case, we get to hear things from the "horse's mouth." Sounds like Ferry is the proverbial 110% behind the idea. The brotherhood is alive and well.

Reactions: 2 skerz 3 and dbav
One moron, Steat or DSouthr I think....made a post saying they spit out their coffee laughing at the words "Danny Ferry" and "retired jersey" in the same sentence.
Pretty sure Ferry would meet the requirements to have his jersey hanging in the Nose Dome.

Reactions: KellenPatrick
Ferry told him to wear the number yet some fans are so damn arrogant that THEY think it's inappropriate. Guess what...Nobody really cares what you think![/QUOTE)

You do or you wouldnt have posted 2 cents....OFC

In this case, we get to hear things from the "horse's mouth." Sounds like Ferry is the proverbial 110% behind the idea. The brotherhood is alive and well.

Some are acting like the opposite end of the horse just because some Duke fans disagree with the party line....OFC

i think it's fine that there are differences in opinion on this, and I really don't think it's a matter of who's is right and who's is wrong. Some like mustard, some like mayo...doesn't make either one wrong. We all have the same goal in the end and that is that Bags gets a little lint on that jersey while he's cutting his piece of the net come April!!!

My point is, where is the brotherhood? Is it really necessary to insult another Duke fan just because your opinion is different? Who is the best Duke player ever.....think there's anyway we all have the same opinion?

Reactions: hart2chesson
My point is, where is the brotherhood? Is it really necessary to insult another Duke fan just because your opinion is different? Who is the best Duke player ever.....think there's anyway we all have the same opinion?
Agreed! Pretty boring if we all agreed! Hows that shoulder DukeKy??? OFC

I will say this though.....zero turn mowers are a lot heavier when they are on top vs when you are on top. Stay vertical is my motto!!

Reactions: LTDukeFan
Another thing K softened on. Which again, I have no issues with.

Jason ended up settling with a double number (i.e. 22, 11, 44) because he and his dad noticed double numbers at Duke were retired. Pretty cool reasoning.
Gotta retire Zoubek!

Interesting opinion piece in the Duke Chronicle about Bagley using Ferry's #35.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/08/more-than-a-numbers-game

Also, do I sense a little shade being thrown Carolina's way at the end?
"Ultimately, there are plenty of things that are a bigger deal. It is not as if banners are coming down for a major violation."

Nothing wrong w/shade thrown at UNC for their shenanigans, and I also agree w/the overall feelings of the writer: I am not a fan either of the jerseys being worn, especially by the OAD's....Good read, good "shade" too!

OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Nothing wrong w/shade thrown at UNC for their shenanigans, and I also agree w/the overall feelings of the writer: I am not a fan either of the jerseys being worn, especially by the OAD's....Good read, good "shade" too!

OFC

Shade? Like this? Yes, I approve of a little shade falling on the Tar Heel program.

Old-Well-Shade-gif.gif

OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT