ADVERTISEMENT

So it sounds like Bagley will wear Ferry's number

frankly, I don't like this.
I kind of has the same thought at first and almost posted a question of why retire numbers if they can be worn again, but I guess if he talked to Ferry about it and he agreed, then I really don't have an issue with it.

Reactions: Quavarius
What's Ferry gonna say? "No". You really need to wear that number that badly? Ecstatic the kid is coming to Durham. Hope he lives up to the hype and gets us to the final four but I feel like when you see a number hanging in the rafters, have some respect and choose another number. JMO.

I likebthe fact that we will see #35 grace CIS again...we all know what ferry accomplished wearing that #.....id love to see #4..#33...#32 and etc again as well

Reactions: bond_ james bond
We're eventually going to be fielding a 4-guard line-up around a stretch 4 someday where the numbers on the court are going to be 51, 52A, 52B, 54A, and 54C if we keep retiring #s. I like UNC's Sick jersey system. W/ something like that, we could have #s for Groat, Heyman, Dawkins, Laettner, and Shane retired w/ all other retired #s being honored on some slightly lower level.

I've got no problem with this at all and think it's really cool of Ferry to pass the torch so to speak. And plenty of players in all sports have said no to the request. It happens more than you think.

And at what point is the NCAA going to allow the digits of 6-9 to be used?

Yea I love it that Bagley will wear Ferry's number! The next great Duke player to wear a special number!

What's Ferry gonna say? "No". You really need to wear that number that badly? Ecstatic the kid is coming to Durham. Hope he lives up to the hype and gets us to the final four but I feel like when you see a number hanging in the rafters, have some respect and choose another number. JMO.

Totally understand your position, but he absolutely could say no. There should be a respect factor there, but right now, I'm not sure Bagley is into the tradition. At least not yet. I'm sure he didn't even know who Ferry was or what he did at the time. I'm guessing he does now and has full respect for it. The kid is a good kid. Again, I have no issues with it, especially because his request isn't totally uncommon.

Totally understand your position, but he absolutely could say no. There should be a respect factor there, but right now, I'm not sure Bagley is into the tradition. At least not yet. I'm sure he didn't even know who Ferry was or what he did at the time. I'm guessing he does now and has full respect for it. The kid is a good kid. Again, I have no issues with it, especially because his request isn't totally uncommon.

There has been a time where someone said no - I'm thinking it was Grant Hill, but I can't remember who the request came from. Maybe someone can help me.

If your going to without question be here one year only, the number should stay retired.

I see that. What if the player, does his due diligence in learning about the player, meeting and speaking with the player, researching his career, maintaining a feeling of "making him proud"? Would that change your feeling? For me it would. Regardless of the amount of time said player would be at the school, I think that would be acceptable. The guy could be there for four years and not care whatsoever about the jersey number he represents.

I think if the man who's number is retired is ok with it than I am too. It's his jersey.

I agree with this. He even went out of his way to thank Danny Ferry for allowing him to wear it. I defer to Mr. Ferry on this.

Reactions: DukefanKY
You're entitled to that option and POV, I don't see it personally. I think if the man who's number is retired is ok with it than I am too. It's his jersey.

this
Ferry was one of my favorite players. If not for Danny Manning playing out of his mind, Danny would have a ring.

Bill Dickey and Yogi Berra both wore #8 with the Yankees and both wore it with distinction. If Bagley lives up to his reputation then the number 35 will be remembered as having been worn by two great players. Wouldn't want a walk on to wear it but Ferry must realize this is a different situation.

Reactions: dbav
There has been a time where someone said no - I'm thinking it was Grant Hill, but I can't remember who the request came from. Maybe someone can help me.

Perhaps Deng. Grant was his hero and he stayed in contact with him throughout his time at Duke, but I'm not sure if he requested his number.

It's only gonna be for a year. It's like borrowing it. It's still Danny's number and it will be Ferry's and Ferry's only retired # because of simply the criteria that Bagley will have to accomplish which includes a diploma. Not saying he cannot accomplish it but it's going to be hard. OFC

Perhaps Deng. Grant was his hero and he stayed in contact with him throughout his time at Duke, but I'm not sure if he requested his number.
I wanted to say someone requested Jason Williams number or he requested someone else's but can't remember.

One thing I thought about was what if a player asked for a retired number and was allowed to use it, then that player went to stay here for 3 or 4 years, and became the greatest player in Duke history. How do got put his jersey in the rafters? Just have two up there with the same number on it?
Again, I have no issue at all with him using Ferry's number as long as he agrees to it....I just had that random thought

We're eventually going to be fielding a 4-guard line-up around a stretch 4 someday where the numbers on the court are going to be 51, 52A, 52B, 54A, and 54C if we keep retiring #s. I like UNC's Sick jersey system. W/ something like that, we could have #s for Groat, Heyman, Dawkins, Laettner, and Shane retired w/ all other retired #s being honored on some slightly lower level.

That won't happen anytime soon. Players don't stick around long enough. If guys like Jim Spanarkel, Gene Banks, Jon Scheyer, and Kyle Singler don't get their numbers retired after four successful years, it's doubtful that we'll have many legitimate candidates in the foreseeable future.

I think what I am thinking of is something Grant Hill said while calling Duke's tournament games during the 2015 run. I'm thinking at one point he talked about Justise asking to wear #33 and Grant said he told him no. Maybe I am misremembering.

If I recall, Bagley thanked both Coach K and Danny Ferry for letting him wear #35 as a part of his announcement.

I am probably paraphrasing but Danny could have said, "#35 came close to winning a championship, but not quite. You wear my number -- make sure you bring one home."

Archie Griffin, a 2 time Heisman winner at Ohio St allowed them to bring the #45 back and let super recruit LB Andy Katzenmmoyer wear it.

Danny may have just been doing Duke a solid on this.

We have the roughest requirements in the country for a retired jersey. Once it hangs, it should stay that way.

Just a personal opinion, not a big deal.

I used to be against it but now with the times changing... I have no problem with it if say Ferry is cool with it. We have quite a few good "favorite" numbers retired so it limits the numbers to choose from.

Individual accomplishments are great and they should be honored. But in the the end... this is a team sport and it's the national championship banners that mean the most. If this motivates Bagley then I'm all for it.

Back in the day, I got a lot of hand-me-downs from my older brothers.

One thing I thought about was what if a player asked for a retired number and was allowed to use it, then that player went to stay here for 3 or 4 years, and became the greatest player in Duke history. How do got put his jersey in the rafters? Just have two up there with the same number on it?
Again, I have no issue at all with him using Ferry's number as long as he agrees to it....I just had that random thought

Yes. That has happened in other places. Number would be the same but names would be different on the jerseys.

Reactions: skysdad
i guess it could also be looked at as an homage to past greatness....its gonna be awesome to see the #35 again

One moron, Steat or DSouthr I think....made a post saying they spit out their coffee laughing at the words "Danny Ferry" and "retired jersey" in the same sentence. Fing idiots.

I don't like it. One and dones have changed coach k's philosophy and I hate it. Sad thing is, I don't think he's needed to do things like this to win the recruits he's done it for.

I don't like it. One and dones have changed coach k's philosophy and I hate it. Sad thing is, I don't think he's needed to do things like this to win the recruits he's done it for.

Have his philosophies been changed by the kids, or has he changed because he felt the old ideals weren't necessary?

The hair thing for instance, that went away without much incident. That, to me, was a good change. I can understand how someone from a military background would not appreciate the way kids wear their hair, but it gives them a chance to express themselves and frankly build a brand, which is what you're doing as a college athlete anymore.

I get your point of view, but I'm not sure the kids have forced his hand.

Jason wanted #1 too and K said no

Another thing K softened on. Which again, I have no issues with.

Jason ended up settling with a double number (i.e. 22, 11, 44) because he and his dad noticed double numbers at Duke were retired. Pretty cool reasoning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT