ADVERTISEMENT

Shhhh. MY coach is speaking:

I wouldn't have wanted to be the assistant/SID who told Coach K that people are saying Barrett is playing hero ball. I bet Coach didn't take it kindly.

Reactions: Quavarius
Unfortunately you cannot legislate social media....

OFC
No you can't, and those degrading Barrett aren't true fans. K should say something about those kind of comments. Personally though, the more I think about it, the more I like that he struggled with his shot in Maui, and particularly the last couple minutes against Gonzaga.

Reminds me of a former legend of Duke that missed a critical free throw as a freshman against Arizona early in the season.

No you can't, and those degrading Barrett aren't true fans. K should say something about those kind of comments. Personally though, the more I think about it, the more I like that he struggled with his shot in Maui, and particularly the last couple minutes against Gonzaga.

Reminds me of a former legend of Duke that missed a critical free throw as a freshman against Arizona early in the season.

I was at that game. What I remember is that after Laettner missed that shot, Danny Ferry went over to talk to him, undoubtedly to tell him it was OK. I wonder who on this team would be able to talk to Barrett. Jack White? Javin?

Yes and that turned out pretty okay for us huh?

RJ is a volume shooter, he needs a good amount of shots to get in rhythm. I am sure he has been the alpha male on every team he has ever laced them up with. College hoops is likely the first time in his life he couldn't just bully his way to the rim and either finish or get fouled at a high clip. He will adjust and he will learn to be more efficient. Taking a lot of shots or taking the most important shots doesn't make him a ball hog in the same way that being frustrated doesn't mean he has an attitude. He has taken way too much criticism so far this year and it comes off as, how did Coach K put it, "spoiled." Yes that is the perfect word.

Our players don't get a free pass just because they chose Duke, but there hasn't been anything to indicate that anyone on our roster is more about themselves than the team. With the proper mindset RJ will be an absolute force.

I really appreciate Coach K's message. However I think the MEDIA is just as guilty(IF NOT MORE SO) of pooping SO MUCH SUNSHINE on these 4 kids. Jay Williams saying they could beat an NBA team, countless polls anointing them as national champs, calling one kid the next LeBron,etc, etc....

Naturally it simply makes SOME DUKE FANS go over the top w/their emotions skyhigh, and that same passion turns to venom in some cases when things dont go right. Thus I do think probably K was speaking to last nite (assembled media members) were either guilty or represented news outlets who heaped too much roses and daffodils on these young men.OFC

Not worried about it... RJ is from Canada and used to being number one, which he is even here amongst such a collection of talent.

As long as he learns how to share the ball and make his teammates better, which I definitely something Coach harps on, I think we will be fine. And for the record, in the last seconds of a game I WANT the ball in RJs hands, to either shoot or find the open man.

No issue at all with his game. He is top flight and will only get even better.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I don’t think he (or anyone else) should be exempt from criticism, though. The ones calling for RJ’s head after the Gonzaga game were being ridiculous, and there’s no excuse for that kind of behavior toward’s a kid (I know I said a few suspect things myself). But just because he’s a freshman doesn’t mean fans can’t be upset with his play.

He reminds me a lot of Tatum during the first half of the 2016-17 season. He doesn’t quite know his strengths and weaknesses yet, nor does he seem know his bounds as to what plays/shots he should be taking. His efficiency has been pretty low, only shooting 41% on the season (whopping 20% from three) and routinely scoring 20+, but on 15 to 20+ shot attempts per game. There are plenty of plays I can think of off the top of my head where he absolutely passed up an open teammate to take a contested shot, sometimes being contested by 2 or more defenders. Look, RJ and Zion have both hit 60 FG's for the year... Except RJ has taken 53 more attempts.

He has a lot to improve, and I’m sure he will, but he’s deserved the critique on his play imo. Zion, Tre, and Cam have had no problem whatsoever playing selflessly. I can’t think of many shots any of those three have taken where I wasn’t confident it had a chance of going on. Contrast that with RJ’s play, and you get the flaming opinions you’ve seen from Duke fans on here and elsewhere.

I think it’s important to note that players like that in the past only got better, but that’s because they improved on what they were being criticized for. Tatum really came into his own towards the last stretch of his season. So no, the vitriol isn’t at all necessary, but it’s a little off base to imply he shouldn’t be criticized for his weaknesses just because he’s a freshman or whatever.

Again, I think he'll improve. And there is probably an argument to be made that you keep encouraging RJ's current style while we're rolling teams so you don't hinder his confidence or willingness to attack. He has the potential to be more efficient at the rim, obviously. But he also has a lot of potential to create for others. If he's driving into two or three guys, it's likely Zion or Cam is wide open.

I don’t think he (or anyone else) should be exempt from criticism, though. The ones calling for RJ’s head after the Gonzaga game were being ridiculous, and there’s no excuse for that kind of behavior toward’s a kid (I know I said a few suspect things myself). But just because he’s a freshman doesn’t mean fans can’t be upset with his play.

He reminds me a lot of Tatum during the first half of the 2016-17 season. He doesn’t quite know his strengths and weaknesses yet, nor does he seem know his bounds as to what plays/shots he should be taking. His efficiency has been pretty low, only shooting 41% on the season (whopping 20% from three) and routinely scoring 20+, but on 15 to 20+ shot attempts per game. There are plenty of plays I can think of off the top of my head where he absolutely passed up an open teammate to take a contested shot, sometimes being contested by 2 or more defenders. Look, RJ and Zion have both hit 60 FG's for the year... Except RJ has taken 53 more attempts.

He has a lot to improve, and I’m sure he will, but he’s deserved the critique on his play imo. Zion, Tre, and Cam have had no problem whatsoever playing selflessly. I can’t think of many shots any of those three have taken where I wasn’t confident it had a chance of going on. Contrast that with RJ’s play, and you get the flaming opinions you’ve seen from Duke fans on here and elsewhere.

I think it’s important to note that players like that in the past only got better, but that’s because they improved on what they were being criticized for. Tatum really came into his own towards the last stretch of his season. So no, the vitriol isn’t at all necessary, but it’s a little off base to imply he shouldn’t be criticized for his weaknesses just because he’s a freshman or whatever.

Again, I think he'll improve. And there is probably an argument to be made that you keep encouraging RJ's current style while we're rolling teams so you don't hinder his confidence or willingness to attack. He has the potential to be more efficient at the rim, obviously. But he also has a lot of potential to create for others. If he's driving into two or three guys, it's likely Zion or Cam is wide open.

True no one is above criticism but spoiled fans can get called out as well. The kid lost his first college game and instead of HIS fans trying to encourage him, they rip him to shreds. K sees the bigger picture. Why would any recruit want to come to Duke? The world is already against ya (as a Duke player)
and now you have to put up with your own spoiled fans turning against you as well? And this isn’t the first time fans have acted like this so it’s refreshing when they get called out (since they’re good at calling out players).

Let the coaches coach the players. We support the players during the good and bad times. Believe me, we’re going to want R.J. to take the last shot later in the season.

I remember the Duke fan that wrote Elton Brand a letter telling him what he should do and why HE was selfish for leaving after his 2nd year. Well, we know what happened to that fan. I think she’s still looking for her face after his handwritten clap back(s).

True no one is above criticism but spoiled fans can get called out as well. The kid lost his first college game and instead of HIS fans trying to encourage him, they rip him to shreds. K sees the bigger picture. Why would any recruit want to come to Duke? The world is already against ya (as a Duke player)
and now you have to put up with your own spoiled fans turning against you as well? And this isn’t the first time fans have acted like this so it’s refreshing when they get called out (since they’re good at calling out players).

Let the coaches coach the players. We support the players during the good and bad times. Believe me, we’re going to want R.J. to take the last shot later in the season.

I remember the Duke fan that wrote Elton Brand a letter telling him what he should do and why HE was selfish for leaving after his 2nd year. Well, we know what happened to that fan. I think she’s still looking for her face after his handwritten clap back(s).
All Duke fans are spoiled, that's definitely true. I still think no player is above criticism and criticism doesn't necessarily equate to not supporting them - it's how that criticism is handled and directed, for sure. I have no doubt that RJ will continue to improve.

Reactions: Neners
We are so fortunate to have these freshmen this year. I like having any of the 4 take the last shot of any game. I did notice how Coach K gave the ball to Zion to close out the half. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do that with Tre too. We shall see the next time we have a game winning shot at the end of a game. I still think K goes with RJ.

I think you expressed it quite well...

OFC

Reactions: Mpm277
ESPN and the rest of college basketball turned on Grayson Allen and we hated ESPN and everyone else and yet turn around and do the same thing to our own players.

Hmmmm
Somewhat true Q. Most fair minded Duke fans weren't happy with Grayson's actions, I know I wasn't. It went too far on him with many, as some have gone too far about RJ.
I read some of those tweets about RJ. Like I said, not true Duke fans. He's just a kid playing basketball. He has a little learning to do, but any true fan should be happy he chose Duke. I am.

K was right. We are spoiled. I'm guilty of that too. It's K's fault. Maybe he shouldn't be as good as he is. :p

Reactions: hart2chesson
I just tell it like I see it. If it’s criticism it is. If it’s not it’s not. Right or wrong. Hes just defending his players becuase HE HAS TOO. 19 years-olds are sensitive blah blah. Nobody is above getting criticized. I think he dislikes the hype more then the critics depending on what he’s seen or heard of course, I don’t know. Now when you go further and start saying things like I don’t want RJ, RJ sucks, Bolden is wasted weight, whatever, you can shut up and go to hell with that sh!t.

I’ll sway my criticism and put it on K the last 3 possessions with how Cam was on the bench for 1 or 2 of those 3 failed drives by RJ I forget. :) How bout dat K! :D Nice “draw up” :rolleyes: Roy asked if you had a TO. K “the refs missed the call”:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
I’ll sway my criticism and put it on K the last 3 possessions with how Cam was on the bench for 1 or 2 of those 3 failed drives by RJ I forget. :) How bout dat K! :D Nice “draw up” :rolleyes: Roy asked if you had a TO. K “the refs missed the call”:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lol

Why go after K when there’s an 18 year old kid that you can harass on social media?

Are people blasting RJ on social media? I'm not on Twitter. The "meanest" I've seen on here is calling him selfish or a ball hog.

Lol

Why go after K when there’s an 18 year old kid that you can harass on social media?
I’ve just read some of the twitter stuff and that’s defiantly what Ks talking about . Wow. I mean I understand he’s been a little trigger happy since game 1 of the exhibitions but damn they’re harsh on there!

Are people blasting RJ on social media? I'm not on Twitter. The "meanest" I've seen on here is calling him selfish or a ball hog.
Yea check Twitter it’s all there . Most are not (Duke) fans though so I don’t know :...

Long post and I apologize but stay with it. We don't really know who comes on this board and see's our threads. I know fans from unc and Duke that just lurk out of curiosity. I did for a long time before I got the nerve to start posting and look what kind of monster was created. :) I don't think that Coach K lurks here but it is highly possible that someone in the inner circle let him know what is going on and even though the players are probably encouraged to stay away from message boards they are still human. When I 1st. started posting Heyman25 told me to stay away from thr. Don't even look at what they post about. Curiosity got the est of me and I lurked and eventually posted. They chewed me up and spit me out. I feel sure that our players are ask not to visit message boards but being human I'm sure they do. We might be surprised as to who checks us out.

Now I have to share this.Here's what happened. During unc'c NIT season I had a thing going where I made fun of hof coach roy williams' ugly ties. Every game I would make fun of the tie he was wearing. Some of you log time posters may remember. It's been several seasons back. hof coach roy williams was having a presser after another loss and he was in rare form. He was pissed and made the comment about he didn't care that certain fans made fun of his ugly ties. Now was it a coincidence? Did he actually check out our board? I don't know but he didn't like the idea of someone making fun of those butt ugly ties he wears. Point of story we don't know who reads our post. It may be recruits or current players. It's a free board. I just think even though we are all entitled to our opinion we must be careful. Once we post it's there even though we may have second thoughts and go back and delete it someone has read it. I've deleted a lot of post and maybe this is one that I should have never posted but here it is. OFC

Well said Sky. Exactly the reason I lurk lots and post little. I sometimes have a tendency to speak before I think. I love Duke and especially this team and know they want to win worse than I ever could, so belittling any of them on here will never happen with me.
OFC

My opinion is, every time we post something we should feel like we're attaching our name and address. Otherwise we become no better than those anonymous jerks who post vicious or false opinions and hide behind their anonymity. That's what I try to do at least. If I fail feel free to let me know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT