ADVERTISEMENT

Seven Predictions for Duke next season.

BlueDevilStop

Starter
Jun 8, 2020
I am a big believer that Jordan Goldwire wins ACC DPOY. What are some of your player predictions for the season?

Goldwire certainly has worked hard since he's been at Duke very well win the ACC DPOY. Despite all of his critics here at DI he has turned into a very steady and reliable player but just as soon as he misses threes 3's in a row then will come the cat calls. Coach K recruited him as basketball full scholly playet at Duke . Not someone to sit at the far end of the bench with his warmup on. Any recruit that comes to Duke has to earn his p.t. and Jordan has more than earned it. I really hope this board of witha few recliner coaches just stay off his case his senior year. OFC

I remember a lot of people on here were not thrilled with the signing of Goldwire without knowing anything about his game. I am glad Goldy has proven the doubters wrong. He gets better every season and plays really hard.

Reactions: hart2chesson
With all the early entries, coaches of big time programs have to go fishing for one of those lower ranked kids who will stick around and develop into a contributor. The problem is, some wasnt the playing time sooner rather than later and leave, and others never develop enough to contribute.

Glad they didnt speculate on the possible AOD guys and the probable leaving early players

I seem to remember people being pretty happy about the Goldwire pick up. Didn't he play Duval even when they played in high school? A back up PG who would stay 4 years, work hard. He achieved more than I thought he would. I think he has a big year.

I am a big believer that Jordan Goldwire wins ACC DPOY. What are some of your player predictions for the season?

Good write up, just got to check it out. On our podcast, 5PointPlay (@dbav shameless plug), we actually thought that this past season Jordan was a better defender than Tre. Now some of that was out of necessity bc Tre was asked to do so much on offense, but Jordan got overlooked as a candidate for DPOY. Much like Tre should have won it his freshman year and they made it right this season, i think Jordan gets it this season.

I’m also high on Brakefield, hope he has the opportunity to brakeout (see what i did there?!?)

Man, if Jordan can keep up the D, shoot just a little better from 3 and lose the hiccups on his layups, he will be a huge asset.
I agree. And I don't think this is that far fetched. Is it possible he's peaked? Sure. But it's just as possible he will keep improving. He's a talented kid. Not NBA level talented but he's not exactly Rudy either.

Completely agree. Any noticeable improvement on offense and he is no longer a "liability" on the offensive end, making him a very good all around player.

I actually think, for the most part, he lost the liability on offense status last year.

I just saw 2 college basketball previews at the supermarket. Lindy's and another one.. Street and Smith's I think. We were ranked 9th and 10th. One singled out Brakefield as a rising star.

Street and Smith's. I used to wait for that to come out in the old days. It was the only really authoritative magazine on all of college basketball in the pre-ESPN days when we never got to see 95% of the college teams on TV. I'm glad to hear it's still around.

As for Goldwire, I could see from Day One that he could stay in front of his man which many if not most point guards can't do anymore. I was tired of seeing our point guards pick up at half court and be beaten by the top of the key and that applies to some pretty good offensive point guards. What I didn't anticipate was that Goldy would become a good enough offensive player to at least keep the defense honest. Good for him! and us!

Street and Smith's. I used to wait for that to come out in the old days. It was the only really authoritative magazine on all of college basketball in the pre-ESPN days when we never got to see 95% of the college teams on TV. I'm glad to hear it's still around.

As for Goldwire, I could see from Day One that he could stay in front of his man which many if not most point guards can't do anymore. I was tired of seeing our point guards pick up at half court and be beaten by the top of the key and that applies to some pretty good offensive point guards. What I didn't anticipate was that Goldy would become a good enough offensive player to at least keep the defense honest. Good for him! and us!
Liftee you're old enough to remember Street & Smith's too! Loved it. I remember I used to pick up a football issue to see Duke's schedule in back, and check their game by game predictions!

OFC

Street and Smith's had a really good high school section, with profiles and pics on the top 20 guys. Carrawell and Nate James were both in the top 10 in their magazine if I recall correctly. They were in one magazine I had.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT