ADVERTISEMENT

Secret Weapons...

LTDukeFan

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 20, 2009
Austin, TX
I am enamored with our starting line up. And I even think it is kind of unfair (but I'll get over it). Watching the game last night I was really struck by the "mediocre" play that I saw out of the team and it did not feel like we should be up by 17 at the half. Foul trouble seemed to pile up quick and I was thinking that the wheels could fall off.

Then, I watched the bench go to work, nothing fancy, no bell ringing dunks, just solid basketball.

I love this bench. AND I really love that K is going to it more then what I have seen in years past.

Jack, Jav, AOC, and Goldwire are collectively the best 6th man in the league. My confidence in the team increased last night.

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing that?

LTDF

I love this group of guys,from the starters to the reserves,they have all brought into what they are trying to achieve,they genuinely like each other.This may sound silly,but Jack may be our most important player,not the best,but most important.I don't see anything that he does not do well,a great choice for captain

I do too think that Jack is our most important player. He comes into the game and takes charge of the defense, plays like a man and settles everyone down. Last night he went head-to-head with #11 and wasn't about to back down from all the crap that #11 was trying to dish out. Not that everybody else on the team doesn't play like a man, but Jack is ready and willing to accept that role on this year's team. It's my opinion that we were lacking that kind of leadership on the past couple of teams. Doesn't hurt that he rebounds so well and is a great shooter.

What I absolutely loved last night was that transition where AOC drained two jumpers in a row. That man is a bucket getter and mannn is so silky when he shoots... I don’t think there is anyone else on the team that makes me think that ball is going in every time he shoots. A lot like Luke his Sophmore year.

What I absolutely loved last night was that transition where AOC drained two jumpers in a row. That man is a bucket getter and mannn is so silky when he shoots... I don’t think there is anyone else on the team that makes me think that ball is going in every time he shoots. A lot like Luke his Sophmore year.
I have actually been a little disappointed with AOC this year. He's not playing the minutes we expected because he's getting lost on defense. I wonder if it is the switch from zone to man? I'd love him to figure that part out because you are right, every time he shoots, I expect the ball to go in.

I have actually been a little disappointed with AOC this year. He's not playing the minutes we expected because he's getting lost on defense. I wonder if it is the switch from zone to man? I'd love him to figure that part out because you are right, every time he shoots, I expect the ball to go in.

His defense is definitely rocky. But his mpg around 10-12 is about right given that in highly competitive games, barring foul trouble, Cam, RJ and Tre will be on the floor on the perimeter. Throw in Zion and any one of Jack, Jav and Ques, and that leaves AOC with sub duty.

With that in mind, he’s absolutely a weapon. @timo0402 described him as a Dawkins type and I absolutely see that. I was thinking Marty Clark before him, but the Dawkins comp is all we need. If he can hit 2-3 threes in 10-12 minutes, that’s super efficient as a guy coming into the game probably in a tertiary scoring role.

I am enamored with our starting line up. And I even think it is kind of unfair (but I'll get over it). Watching the game last night I was really struck by the "mediocre" play that I saw out of the team and it did not feel like we should be up by 17 at the half. Foul trouble seemed to pile up quick and I was thinking that the wheels could fall off.

Then, I watched the bench go to work, nothing fancy, no bell ringing dunks, just solid basketball.

I love this bench. AND I really love that K is going to it more then what I have seen in years past.

Jack, Jav, AOC, and Goldwire are collectively the best 6th man in the league. My confidence in the team increased last night.

Just wondering if anyone else is seeing that?

LTDF

And the beauty is, as “bad” as the starters seemed, they’re still better than just about everyone. Reason being is that you have 4 freshmen who play like sophs and juniors. They approach the game in an inquisitive manner rather than “having it all figured out.” They are constantly learning and are amazingly humble. I love this team.

This may sound silly,but Jack may be our most important playe

I do too think that Jack is our most important player.

No. White is an important as far as leadership, communication, defense, and hustle. But he is not the most important player. A team full of Jack Whites might make the NCAA Tournament, but they're not going to be contenders. He is terrific in his role and I love having him on the team. But I can't possibly endorse these statements as accurate.

Reactions: dukehokie
No. White is an important as far as leadership, communication, defense, and hustle. But he is not the most important player. A team full of Jack Whites might make the NCAA Tournament, but they're not going to be contenders. He is terrific in his role and I love having him on the team. But I can't possibly endorse these statements as accurate.
On championship teams, a guy like Jack is as important as the future pro player.

On championship teams, a guy like Jack is as important as the future pro player.

And therein lies the beauty of a true team. Take a piece out, and that can still be effective. If Jack isn’t playing, we’re really, really good. If Jack is playing, we’re really, really good. The same goes for everyone on this squad.

I will say that the guy that makes this team go is Zion. His presence is just very intimidating and teams have to track him no matter what. On loose balls, off-ball, on-ball, all of the above. I’d say Zion is what has helped separate this team.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I'm different. I think Bolden is the most important. If he plays to his potential, or dare I say even higher, we win a championship. If he does like Zoubs did and grabs offensive board after board to give us extended possessions, I don't think anyone can beat us.

Bolden is more talented than Zoubs was but we'll see if he plays his role and has the mental toughness to lead the freshmen as the upperclassman starter that holds the glue together. So far so good...

Last edited:
I'm different. I think Bolden is the most important. If he plays to his potential, or dare I say even higher, we win a championship. If he does like Zoubs did and grabs offensive board after board to give us extended possessions, I don't think anyone can beat us.

Bolden is more talented than Zoubs was but we'll see if he plays his role and has the mental toughness to lead the freshmen as the upperclassmen starter that holds the glue together. So far so good...

That’ll be unfair if Bolden starts playing like a man down low. He’s already shown a lot of improvement. Should he become as important as Zoubs, without slowing this team down...unfair.

The one thing about the Zoubs comp, is that Zoubek was on a team that averaged only about 73-75 pets a game when Zoubek became a full time starter. They were a very slow tempo team (by Duke standards). If Bolden can have that defensive and rebounding affect and still allow this team to be quick, that would be great. He doesn’t require many touches so I think it’s possible.

Best thing about Jack, Alex, Goldwire, etc is they will be here next season and even better. Keep complimenting them with stud freshman and all is good.

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
That’ll be unfair if Bolden starts playing like a man down low. He’s already shown a lot of improvement. Should he become as important as Zoubs, without slowing this team down...unfair.

The one thing about the Zoubs comp, is that Zoubek was on a team that averaged only about 73-75 pets a game when Zoubek became a full time starter. They were a very slow tempo team (by Duke standards). If Bolden can have that defensive and rebounding affect and still allow this team to be quick, that would be great. He doesn’t require many touches so I think it’s possible.
Hokie its hard to imagine Duke only scoring in the low to mid seventies in any game this season but I suppose it will be the case against Virginia and their style of play. In the game last night we seemed stuck on 30 to 38 points for an eternity but they still finish with 90. Thats impressive scoring.

Hokie its hard to imagine Duke only scoring in the low to mid seventies in any game this season but I suppose it will be the case against Virginia and their style of play. In the game last night we seemed stuck on 30 to 38 points for an eternity but they still finish with 90. Thats impressive scoring.

Yeah it’ll be a strange night if we’re in the 70’s. That’s awesome to say for a college team.

Well,in my defense I did say "this may be silly":)

Reactions: dukedevilz
I do too think that Jack is our most important player. He comes into the game and takes charge of the defense, plays like a man and settles everyone down. Last night he went head-to-head with #11 and wasn't about to back down from all the crap that #11 was trying to dish out. Not that everybody else on the team doesn't play like a man, but Jack is ready and willing to accept that role on this year's team. It's my opinion that we were lacking that kind of leadership on the past couple of teams. Doesn't hurt that he rebounds so well and is a great shooter.
giphy.gif

I see Jack and Jav scrapping on defense. Goldwire and AOC not so much....not sure if that is a confirmation bias working against me.

Today will be a good challenge. Seems Zion needs to hit a bucket early to get into rythmn -- hope that happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT