ADVERTISEMENT

Scout's point of View- July

Jake1985

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2002
I know you've had a busy summer so far watching players. Which of the Duke Recruits have stood out?
Scout- "Isaiah Stewart has caught the attention of most and for good reason. That kid is a true low post beast. He was once though to be an athletic, physically strong player that would need some time to develop, but he's as good as any 2019 big that I have seen on both ends of the floor. Then add to that his motor, his ability to run the floor and his mentality and in the end he will be in the discussion as the best big man in the 2019 class. He has has worked his way to be a OAD prospect and he still has areas to improve on." "Another guy is Matthew Hurt, I like him because he can really shoot the ball and is consistent all the way out beyond the 3 point line. He's a better athlete than most think and he is crafty. He reminds me of a bigger version of the former Duke kid, Kyle Singler. Just does most things well and does what ever is need of him for his team to win. I think he might have the best fit to the NBA style as any 2019." "There isn't much more I can say about Cole Anthony that I haven't already shared. He's a stud. He's an impact player for whatever college he goes to. Don't discount him pursuing other options as an alternate to attending college for a year." "Josiah James is a player who I feel is the most versatile player in the class. He's got length, he can handle the ball and run a team and he can defend 3 positions. I'm not sure there is a label positionally for him, but he's a player. I will definitely have my eye on him as will may Pro Exec's and Pro Scouts. The biggest question is what role will be fill and how to best utilize his gifts. He's a player that will show more as a Pro than in college."

Are there any players that you feel might have taken a step back?
Scout- "Bryan Antoine, as elite as a player as he is, I think hit a platoe, which I think attributes to his physically readiness. He needs to get stronger and have the desire to mix it up more defensively as well as hitting the boards. Listen, all these kids go through ups and downs, and Bryan is an elite player who is a OAD kid. From what I have been told not making the 17 Team shook him up a bit and hit him hard. I hope he uses that as a motivational thing." "Vernon Carey to me is playing on cruise control. He has all the tools to physically dominate most all bigs, but he roams around at the 3 point arc and doesn't appear to play with passion. He could be the potential number 1 over all draft pick or he could be that guy that come draft day we all talk about why he is falling. I truly hope that he turns the corner because he a great kid."

Which players are those "glue" players that are the foundation of winning teams?
Scout- "Armando Bacot, Scottie Lewis and Wendell Moore. Those three guys are just winners and influence the game in so many ways. It could be scoring, taking on a defensive role or grabbing rebounds. They are stat stuffers, but from game to game their stat lines may look completely different. Where ever they go to college, their teammates will love playing with them. None of them have to have the ball or be the focal point of the team. They just do what needs to be done game in and game out. To me, players like this go over looked at times, but their value to a team is essential. At the NBA level, Scottie is the most immediately ready now, but it will be interesting to see how Armando and Wendell use this next year to advance their games as well as what college program they select to assist them in doing so."

Any surprise players?
Scout- "Drew Timme. I've seen him 5 times now and each time the kid makes huge leaps as a player. In my mind he's a solid mid 30ish player in 2019, and still rising. What I like the most is his motor and competitive nature. If he and Stewart ever were a front court duo, they would run the other teams 4 bigs, starters and reserves, into the ground. He has skills too. I like his size and his quick first step off the bounce. I'm curious to see if he continues to climb in the rankings and how he develops in areas of his game such as being more crafty off the dribble and with shot fakes. It would be fantastic to see him and Matthew Hurt go head to head because that's who Timme mostly reminds me of just not as polished at this point, but that makeup would be fun to watch. I know Timme is getting the attention of some of the big programs now and he has earned it." "Not a surprise player, but Nico Mannion could be the closest player to Cole (Anthony) in terms of dominate with the ball in his hands. If you were to show up at a game to each and see him, you might look right past him initially unless your eye was caught by his red hair. But once the whistle blows for the opening tip off, it's game on and he is a true gamer. I'm not sure he has many flause in his game. He could get stronger and cut down on turn overs where he forces passes, but he's extremely good."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News