ADVERTISEMENT

RJ's Attitude

Jan 21, 2018
I'm pretty new to this board, mostly spent my time at DBR til they changed and then mostly at TDD. But still, not a huge poster. But couldn't love Duke anymore than I do, I assure you of that. So I posed this question at TDD but that place is about as active as a mall these days.

I started getting a sinking feeling during the Canada tour that I wasn't seeing a consistently good attitude from RJ. Little too emotive on fouls, body language when shots didn't fall, and just a lot of negative intangibles from his expressions. On the other side, he was super excited for his teammates to succeed and hit big shots and make plays. So there is obviously tons of good to be gleaned as well.

But this last game, I really started to see his attitude take a turn in the wrong direction. And I am going to make the big assumption that it has to do with Zion. RJ forced shots (which is fine, that is his aggressive nature) but completely passed up open passes that he had previously been willing to make. Especially one to Zion on a fast break.

His frustration was showing all over his face. There was a particular point on a stoppage where Alex goes to give RJ a five and he COMPLETELY ignores him and Alex just kind of does it anyways haha. His body language was really quite bad. If it weren't for his pointing out Zion on that wild tip-oop and still chest bumping him after one of his blocks, I would be really worried.

I don't like being a downer, I LOVE RJ and our entire squad. I just hope that if there IS something there, that it is easily fixable and provides a good teaching opportunity. I feel like this team has a truly special chemistry, and I hope that we don't see that crumble because of ego. But I wouldn't blame RJ in the slightest if he felt like ALL of his shine was being taken by Zion. It isn't like its Zion's fault, but as a kid, I could totally see feelings of envy and jealousy forming.

Maybe it is way too early to tell. Maybe I am nitpicking and delusional. But I figured it was worth a discussion. So, do y'all see any attitude issues worth keeping an eye on or addressing by the staff?

Reactions: CNDBlueDevil
First of all welcome to the board and have fun. We've discussed body language a lot on this board and most of the time I turns into posters perception that the player in question is going to transfer. To be honest for some reason I don't even notice body language unless I see a player from another team, hulk down and give that p.j. Hairston glare. Maybe I'm missing something and should be paying more attention to the way a player goes down the court after a missed shot or being taken out ofthearly game. I do remember a moment during the UK game in which I did observe Barrett's body language.It was when Zion made that great play and R. J. shoved him in the chest out of pure enthusiasm.OFC

First of all welcome to the board and have fun. We've discussed body language a lot on this board and most of the time I turns into posters perception that the player in question is going to transfer.

Thanks for the welcoming! Been a die-hard fan since 91' and am over in Asheville so I luckily get to catch games when I don't have to sell a kidney for tickets. Also, fun fact, I was at the 82-50 game. Sat a few rows behind Coach Cowher.

His enthusiasm for his teammates making plays is a big mitigating factor, and the big reason why I wanted to know if anyone else is picking up on the moments where it seems negative. I just think it is such a special group and besides injury, I think a hit to cohesion and commodore are the only things that will keep the team from maxing out their potential this season. I really hope it is nothing!

I have seen bits and pieces of what you are saying, but I feel like it is more of RJ upset at himself more than anything. He had some turnovers and missed a few shots against Army, but I do not believe its anything more than that. I used to look like I could kill someone when I screwed up playing sports back in the day but it was me being pissed at me. Still do it on a regular basis on the golf course today. I do wish that the media would quit some of the hype about Zion and recognize Duke more as a team than one individual, but hell look at what Zion brings to the table and how do you not rave over his game. He is ridiculous but so is RJ, he is a bad man as well he just doesn't have a 6'8 280 lb frame to carry his game on.

Reactions: PatrickYates
I love his attitude. He’s a killer. If it needs some improvement, the West Point graduate will fix him.

I love zions attitude more though, he’s a rabid animal who embodies earn everything

i feel like the only way this team can fail (other than injuries of course) is if one or more of the freshmen decide they need to get more attention. RJ definitely likes to get his numbers but he is a super competitor and fearless so I'm sure Coach K is monitoring the situation. If he has a succession of 5-25 games while Zion is still shooting 80%, then we might have a problem.

Interesting topic for your first post. Not sure if you are a troll yet, but leaning towards yes.

A kid can be frustrated without immediately being labeled selfish or having a poor attitude. This seed was planted during the in game discussion and it’s nonsense.

Breaking news...

During the Army vs. Duke game, freshman sensation RJ Barrett became the first player ever in college basketball history to show displeasure with his own play, which caused him to miss a "high-five" attempt by a teammate. Rumor has it the coaching staff is at odds on whether to kick him off the team, or just suspend him for a few games.

Breaking news...

During the Army vs. Duke game, freshman sensation RJ Barrett became the first player ever in college basketball history to show displeasure with his own play, which caused him to miss a "high-five" attempt by a teammate. Rumor has it the coaching staff is at odds on whether to kick him off the team, or just suspend him for a few games.
Love it. Glad you are back. OFC

Interesting topic for your first post. Not sure if you are a troll yet, but leaning towards yes.

A kid can be frustrated without immediately being labeled selfish or having a poor attitude. This seed was planted during the in game discussion and it’s nonsense.

**** off, really. You have no goddam idea who I am and if you read my post and thought it was a troll post you're a ****ing retard.

The shots RJ was taking in the he Army game and missing were the same type shots he took in the UK game and made. I see no issue with his attitude at all. He is real aggressive and hates to miss. I want him to have that attitude. NO ISSUE HEAR AT ALL!!!!!!
OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
**** off, really. You have no goddam idea who I am and if you read my post and thought it was a troll post you're a ****ing retard.

Easy now dukefan5566. As a new poster you got to be cooler than that. To be honest I hope you are what you described in your O.P. and not this post. It raises eyebrows and if you are who you claim to be you could have handled this in a much better way. Some of us here have been posting more than 12 years and have seen lots of new posters more charming than you who turned into, yes trollers. Some of them come back under a different nickname but are sooner or later been had. We have some sharp mods here and I don't know how they will look at this latest post. May I suggest being more cordial than you have been on this post. Just between you and me I think I would delete it before a lot more of us read it. I sincerely hope you are a Duke fan. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
All I have seen from RJ is an alpha dog competitor that will not accept playing at less than the level he feels like he should.....I've seen him excited about his teammates performing well, I've seen him giving the ball up when he probably could have drove with it. I love this team and I think they already, this early, have more chemistry than even the 2015 team had. I would since the 2010 team.

Breaking news...

Freaking awesome. I was trying to find a way to express myself in the same matter, but when I read what I was about to post, I said forget and erased it all. Anybody who has followed RJ since he arrived at Montverde Academy will see he is the same player now that he was then. His games were always either on television, or you could go on youtube and watch them. Zion has nothing to do with it. He knows he's on a team with other great players. The bottom line is, the dude has proven himself against all great competition with the national scheduled he has played before getting to Duke. As K said, RJ is extremely secure in who he is as a basketball player.

Overreaction to being called out, another classic sign of a troll.

I’m not saying definite troll yet, but there’s red flags for sure. If you can’t understand that I apologize, pick a different topic to introduce yourself to the board.

I think you struck a nerve buddy!!!

I’m not saying definite troll yet, but there’s red flags for sure. If you can’t understand that I apologize, pick a different topic to introduce yourself to the board.
Meh. He was clear in seeing both sides of the coin and posed a fairly decent question. I tend to be aggressive to trolls but I don't see anything wrong with his OP.

It might be best for him to log out, pick a new name and just start all over again if he is a Duke fan. If not he'll get caught again. The best thing he can do right now is delete the post before SHOW sees it.OFC

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
I too think it's a big adjustment for RJ. And if the past means anything, Coach K will address this if he needs too. I think we'll have a better idea of RJ as a competitor come January. He's a bulldog one way or another. He plays with the "mamba mentality" with Zion or without. He seems to be a winner first. That's all I need.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
His reaction was off I get it, but attacking his OP is part of the reason I stepped away from here last year. It's getting insane that people can't pose these types of questions without being immediately attacked...

I get you......but I've read it 3 times.....it's a pretty long post and I'm still trying to find something positive about RJ.....there's a whole lot of negative in there for what looks like he may be one of the best players we have ever had....and I think he is incredibly unselfish for how much he is used to being option 1

Man you guys give me a big laugh everyday. You better come correct on this board. Any hint of bullsh-- and guys will eat you alive lol.

If it makes anybody feel better, he posted a similiar post on the free site at TDD and it's not well received. Not called a troll yet, but some funny remarks. well never mind, somebody said he reading way too much into it sounding like a troll.

If it makes anybody feel better, he posted a similiar post on the free site at TDD and it's not well received. Not called a troll yet, but some funny remarks. well never mind, somebody said he reading way too much into it sounding like a troll.

Who was the troll last year that had a “sick friend” he was visiting at college? This feels like that same person. He then ran to THR and whined that we were bullying him.

I get you......but I've read it 3 times.....it's a pretty long post and I'm still trying to find something positive about RJ.....there's a whole lot of negative in there for what looks like he may be one of the best players we have ever had....and I think he is incredibly unselfish for how much he is used to being option 1

Fair points. I don't see it as all bad but to each their own. I'm gonna sit back and just check in from time to time.

Have a great week/weekend fellas.

ADVERTISEMENT