ADVERTISEMENT

Remaining Unsigned Top 50 for '18 (ESPN)

Voldukie

All Conference
Mar 14, 2002
DC METRO
Here are the remaining players in the 2018 ESPN Top 50 Left Unsigned;

(2) Zion Williamson - PF
(5) Romeo Langford - SG
(6) Simisola Shittu - PF
(8) Anfernee Simons - SG
(17) Moses Brown - C
(20) Emmitt Williams - PF
(30) Jordan Brown - C
(31) EJ Montgomery - PF
(37) Khavon Moore - SF
(49) Courtney Ramey - PG

Question(s)
A- Where do you predict each will sign?
B- Will Duke get involved with or get anyone on this list or other OR is the 3 Man class of 2018 Complete?

Zion. Clemson
Romeo. Indiana
Shittu. Vandy
Simons. Tenn/nba
Brown. Maryland unless uk offers and they have a Mass frontcourt exodus
Williams. Lsu if proven innocent
Brown.idk cal or st johns
Ej. No list ex auburn commit

Armando bacot wants to reclassifie to 2018 he'll be 18 in march and duke is considered the leader he is a 5 star recruit.

Or Reid Travis may be a grad tranfer from stanford. They have never made the ncaa tournament since he's been there and pretty sure they won't make this year. And he picked stanford over duke back in 2014. He may want to make a run a championship. And he's from Minnesota and tyus jones AAU teammate

Here are the remaining players in the 2018 ESPN Top 50 Left Unsigned;

(2) Zion Williamson - PF
(5) Romeo Langford - SG
(6) Simisola Shittu - PF
(8) Anfernee Simons - SG
(17) Moses Brown - C
(20) Emmitt Williams - PF
(30) Jordan Brown - C
(31) EJ Montgomery - PF
(37) Khavon Moore - SF
(49) Courtney Ramey - PG

Question(s)
A- Where do you predict each will sign?
B- Will Duke get involved with or get anyone on this list or other OR is the 3 Man class of 2018 Complete?
Still involved with Zion.Does anyone know the status of Emmitt Williams after hid legal problems?

^ while I tend to agree, I also think other bigs will surface. If Duke misses on Zion (most likely), don't be surprised if they don't at least find out more about EJ Montgomery. He's played with Alex, Jordan G, and the other GA kids.

No one knows what the staff might be thinking. Outside of Vrank and Javin there are a lot of questions. Will Bolden return? Can Jack play the 4? Will Robinson be able to contribute?

Zion. I think uk but hoping for Clemson, unless he surprises me and picks us.
Romeo. Indiana
Shittu. Vandy

I haven't really followed any of the others close enough to have an opinion.

I don't know that we get anyone else in this class, but I love the idea of Reid Travis that has come up a few times. I also believe Bolden returns next year

So, the starting lineup next year looks like what? I'm not in the know but my guess is something like:

PG Tre Jones
SG Trent Jr., (or O'Connell if Trent leaves)
F - RJ Barret
F - Cam Reddish
C - Marques (or Vrank if Marques leaves)

Or if Marques leaves maybe 3 forwards and no center with Javin getting the 3rd starting forward spot?

Backups (in addition to those named above) of Goldwire, Jack White, and Jordan Tucker.

If Jack starts at the 4, Duke is in a bit of trouble imo. I like the kid, but I don't see him offering much more than spot minutes at Duke.
You may be right, or you may be underestimating the power of “system basketball.” Duke became a powerhouse playing great fundamental D and by running set pieces on offense. We used to pass the rock and find open threes better than anyone in the country. Perhaps the game has changed a bit and the Bagleys of the world may be too good for even the most organized teams. I certainly enjoy overwhelming teams with more “free form” talent.

Have we grown too scared of losing? Losing is nothing more than an opportinity to improve. I sort of miss when I didn’t expect to win 95% of our games. Wins against teams with “more talent,” those earned with sweat and great planning, meant more to me than watching Bagley dunk us to a sixth title. No doubt, I want that title. I am simply posing the question: would it not also be fun to watch the GOAT coach us into another 2010 run?

Jack White could be a great starter, if the sets we run play to his strengths: boxing out, open threes and smart team oriented defending. The one and dones are difficult to weave into this style. Then again, not having a few studs may doom you as well. There I go, using the word “doom.” I fear losing to much too.

Last edited:
I think we end up with Bacot or Evan Boudreaux to join Tre , Cam and R.J.

As of right now if Duke doesnt add anyone....

Tre/RJ/Cam/Javin/Bolden

Goldwire/Alex/Vrank/Jack/Tucker for the bench spots.

Very solid, enough to compete for a championship...but still a couple moving pieces.

Reactions: DukeDenver

Tre/RJ/Cam/Javin/Bolden

Very solid, enough to compete for a championship...but still a couple moving pieces.
I’d love to watch this group.

You may be right, or you may be underestimating the power of “system basketball.” Duke became a powerhouse playing great fundamental D and by running set pieces on offense. We used to pass the rock and find open threes better than anyone in the country. Perhaps the game has changed a bit and the Bagleys of the world may be too good for even the most organized teams. I certainly enjoy overwhelming teams with more “free form” talent.

Have we grown too scared of losing? Losing is nothing more than an opportinity to improve. I sort of miss when I didn’t expect to win 95% of our games. Wins against teams with “more talent,” those earned with sweat and great planning, meant more to me than watching Bagley dunk us to a sixth title. No doubt, I want that title. I am simply posing the question: would it not also be fun to watch the GOAT coach us into another 2010 run?

Jack White could be a great starter, if the sets we run play to his strengths: boxing out, open threes and smart team oriented defending. The one and dones are difficult to weave into this style. Then again, not having a few studs may doom you as well. There I go, using the word “doom.” I fear losing to much too.

Good post buddy, I just feel if jack gets significant time, regardless of 1-5, Duke is in a tough spot!

Reactions: jwill133
I have my sources but will not reveal so don't ask.

(2) Zion Williamson - PF: will shock the world and pick Duke
(5) Romeo Langford - SG: wants to go to Duke
(6) Simisola Shittu - PF: loves Duke but afraid to admit it
(8) Anfernee Simons - SG: owns 3 Duke jerseys (Wojo, Amaker & Trajan Langdon)
(17) Moses Brown - C: Has Duke posters all over his room
(20) Emmitt Williams - PF: waiting for callback from Duke
(30) Jordan Brown - C: Posts as Dukiejay on DI
(31) EJ Montgomery - PF: waiting on Duke offer
(37) Khavon Moore - SF: Willing to walk on at Duke
(49) Courtney Ramey - PG: Announced Kyrie Irving from Duke is all time favorite player

Still think it's way too early to project starting lineups next year.
Tre, Barrett, and Reddish are locks. Gonna be really hard to leave Javin out of the starting lineup, but I just don't see how it fits position wise, because personally I think Reddish is a "Brandon Ingram- type stretch 4."

Something will shake up, everyone had Marques or Vrank penciled in to start this year, and Bagley popped up. I think we will find another big, whether it's a late commit, 2019 reclassifier, or a grad transfer. Not only will we find another big, but I think Bolden is back.

Tre/RJ/Cam/Javin/Bolden

That’s a preseason number 1 roster right there. I think we would be the favorite if we settled on that group. The guard play would be exceptional with experienced big men. That’s the type of roster you dream of.

(49) Courtney Ramey - PG: Announced Kyrie Irving from Duke is all time favorite player

There's a theme here....just can't put my finger on it...

To me best possible outcome is for Bacot to commit and reclassify, Reid Travis transfer in. I think Kansas will be Duke biggest threat nationally next season, frontcourt will be loaded and backcourt will be good.

If we get Reid Travis, I would almost prefer Bacot not to re-classify. We will need some bigs in 19/20. Then again, is it really all that unlikely that we still would have Javin and Bolden? Man it would be nice to have two good Sr. Bigs.

If we get Reid Travis, I would almost prefer Bacot not to re-classify. We will need some bigs in 19/20. Then again, is it really all that unlikely that we still would have Javin and Bolden? Man it would be nice to have two good Sr. Bigs.
A frontcourt of Javin, Reid, Bacot, and Vrank doesn't sound appealing? I'm not counting Bolden, think he will leave, don't want Duke too be thin in frontcourt next season

We’re going to be top five next season with Tre, Cam and RJ, regardless. Put whomever you want around them, whether it be skysdad, OAD or topps.

We have to add a big. I’m in love with the prospect of Reid Travis, but I think Minnesota is an option, too. I’d be surprised if he stayed at Stanford. Bacot could be there, but he stays in ‘19, IMO.

Still involved with Zion.Does anyone know the status of Emmitt Williams after hid legal problems?

Think I saw where LSU and Emmitt Williams were mentioned together if he gets out of jail time for his charges. Regarding adding to Duke’s class, depending on how quickly the NBA moves regarding one and done players, could see K pushing for a 2019 kid to enroll early. We need a PF or Center in this class if possible. Would be great to get a 2019 kid like Baker, Bacot or Carey to jump up a year. Otherwise, it’s Zion or possibly a late push for Montgomery or bust. Think the 2019 option or Zion is most likely.

I'd be more worried about Javin leaving then Bolden for the league atleast.

But both would be penciled in as starters one would have to think with Duke lacking frontcourt depth next season. Don't really see Bolden going to the league not after this season anyway.

Is Travis even thinking about being a grad transfer?

Of course there is an asterisk on all of these. They actually want to go to Kensucky, but their moms want them to go to Duke.

What am I missing with Vrank? I just don’t see it. Seems like a 2-3 minute a game guy for his career.

What am I missing with Vrank? I just don’t see it. Seems like a 2-3 minute a game guy for his career.
He had a huge basket in the MSU game, along with some excellent box-outs. But I tend to agree, I believe it was the Bowie State game, he got abused on defense back to back possesions, his man caught it and put him in an insane spin cycle for back to back buckets.

He sets excellent screens (got Grayson an open 3 in the MSU game), boxes out well, and would never play out of his role. I would question the ceiling, and his post defense leaves a lot to be desired. If he is a big off the bench next year, he will be serviceable.

He had a huge basket in the MSU game, along with some excellent box-outs. But I tend to agree, I believe it was the Bowie State game, he got abused on defense back to back possesions, his man caught it and put him in an insane spin cycle for back to back buckets.

He sets excellent screens (got Grayson an open 3 in the MSU game), boxes out well, and would never play out of his role. I would question the ceiling, and his post defense leaves a lot to be desired. If he is a big off the bench next year, he will be serviceable.
As a senior off the bench, definitely. He was no a top 100 recruit and has, to me, embraced his role.

Shittu committed to Vanderbilt the other day.

This was a shocker at RR, so clearly he preferred Kentucky but the parents wanted Vandy.

OFC

Oh, one more thing...

With Shittu Vanderbilt now has 2 5 star kids in the 2019 class and it's still in the running for Romeo Langford. They're building something over there at the Duke of the SEC. How cool would it be for KY, the Tarh***s of the SEC, to be eclipsed by Vanderbilt?

OFC

Oh, one more thing...

With Shittu Vanderbilt now has 2 5 star kids in the 2019 class and it's still in the running for Romeo Langford. They're building something over there at the Duke of the SEC. How cool would it be for KY, the Tarh***s of the SEC, to be eclipsed by Vanderbilt?

OFC

If it were permanent, it would be one of my favorite events in college basketball history!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT