ADVERTISEMENT

Redick as coach

DukeDenver

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2010
Triad, NC
I've been listening to Jonathan Clay Redick's podcast lately and he really seems like a future coach. I base this off of what I've seen from him over the last 15 years too. The guy is just mentally quick and has a way with people that is hard to describe. His perspective of things is unique. I like that he's a bit irreverent but very professional at the same time (remind you of anyone). I hope we at least try to get him on the coaching staff when he's done playing professionally. Even though it would be risky, I think he could go right into the head coach position. I think it would be equally risky to not offer him the head job. There are NBA teams already courting him for their coaching staffs, and the guy still has 3-4 years of playing ahead of him. What are y'all's thoughts?

I've been listening to Jonathan Clay Redick's podcast lately and he really seems like a future coach. I base this off of what I've seen from him over the last 15 years too. The guy is just mentally quick and has a way with people that is hard to describe. His perspective of things is unique. I like that he's a bit irreverent but very professional at the same time (remind you of anyone). I hope we at least try to get him on the coaching staff when he's done playing professionally. Even though it would be risky, I think he could go right into the head coach position. I think it would be equally risky to not offer him the head job. There are NBA teams already courting him for their coaching staffs, and the guy still has 3-4 years of playing ahead of him. What are y'all's thoughts?
I would love to see JJ on the sidelines coaching someday! Always will be my favorite player to wear Duke Blue!

I've been listening to Jonathan Clay Redick's podcast lately and he really seems like a future coach.
I love his podcast for many of the same things you mentioned. I strongly disagree about this, though. He seems to want to avoid anything that will take him away from his family so much.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I love his podcast for many of the same things you mentioned. I strongly disagree about this, though. He seems to want to avoid anything that will take him away from his family so much.
That is indeed true for now. I think he might have more time for his fam as a college coach, as compared to a pro job. Also, kids eventually grow up and require less of your time, so things might change for him in that regard. He just wants stability.

Reactions: Dattier
That is indeed true for now. I think he might have more time for his fam as a college coach, as compared to a pro job. Also, kids eventually grow up and require less of your time, so things might change for him in that regard. He just wants stability.
I think it's the opposite. You have a lot more time as a pro coach, once your season is over you don't have to worry about recruiting, which let's face it at this point is a full time job in itself. Both jobs take you away from your family a ton which is why I agree with Datt, that it will be a long time before that happens since both of his kids are like 1 and 2 years old.

I only discovered his podcast recently so I've been listening to all the back episodes. The one w/ Steve Nash gave me the impression that when you take the competitive angle out of it, he's unlikely to pick up a ball frequently until his son shows interest.

He has all the tools to coach, I think, but he just seems like he wants to try something else. He has a lot of interests, as the podcast shows. You're right that things may change. I think it has to be pretty hard to step away entirely from a game he clearly loves.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I only discovered his podcast recently so I've been listening to all the back episodes. The one w/ Steve Nash gave me the impression that when you take the competitive angle out of it, he's unlikely to pick up a ball frequently until his son shows interest.

He has all the tools to coach, I think, but he just seems like he wants to try something else. He has a lot of interests, as the podcast shows. You're right that things may change. I think it has to be pretty hard to step away entirely from a game he clearly loves.
I feel like he's our brightest former player under K, and there are a bunch of smart guys in that group. Smarts aren't everything, but he's got charisma and work ethic too.

I think it's the opposite. You have a lot more time as a pro coach, once your season is over you don't have to worry about recruiting, which let's face it at this point is a full time job in itself. Both jobs take you away from your family a ton which is why I agree with Datt, that it will be a long time before that happens since both of his kids are like 1 and 2 years old.
True, recruiting certainly fills up the calendar. Even so, there's less air travel and a shorter season in college ball. It's also easier to include your family with your work on a college campus. It's up to JJ how much he wants to push the pedal. It won't be for the money with him. He'd be great at many things, including being a full time dad and husband. I'm just being a greedy fan. Do it for me JJ!

Reactions: DukefanKY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT