ADVERTISEMENT

Re-Seeding the Sweet 16

All the top 4 re-seeds are currently in Dukes path to the championship game

Kansas at #10? That's a little surprising along with the Clemson ranking.

Then again I'm still laughing at all those MSU lovers in Bristol.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Clemson at #3? Maybe Auburn just sucks? Just a thought. Clemson's strength is they tend to play hard for all 40 minutes. They aren't all that naturally talented outside of their top few players because of injuries. Our second five would beat their second five by 50 points.

According to 538, here is the likelihood of each team winning the national title:

Villanova, 22%
Duke, 18%
Kansas, 11%
Kentucky, 11%
Gonzaga, 8%
West Virginia, 6%
Purdue, 5%
Texas A&M, 5%
Michigan, 5%
Clemson, 2%
Texas Tech, 2%
Kansas State, 2%
Florida State, 1%
Syracuse, Loyola-Chicago, Nevada, <1%

According to 538, here is the likelihood of each team winning the national title:

Villanova, 22%
Duke, 18%
Kansas, 11%
Kentucky, 11%
Gonzaga, 8%
West Virginia, 6%
Purdue, 5%
Texas A&M, 5%
Michigan, 5%
Clemson, 2%
Texas Tech, 2%
Kansas State, 2%
Florida State, 1%
Syracuse, Loyola-Chicago, Nevada, <1%
Interesting. I feel like Loyola Chicago is a good value bet there. I think they have a better shot than K-State or Clemson.

Interesting. I feel like Loyola Chicago is a good value bet there. I think they have a better shot than K-State or Clemson.

Loyola Chicago looks pretty solid. I'm guessing 538 is using Sagrain/KenPom-type efficiency metrics in their algorithm. But I see something in Loyola-Chicago's stats which may prove to be more than just an aberration from the KenPom metric, which of course considers strength of schedule into the equation. ULC has the 56th highest rated offense according to KenPom. But their FG% of 50.6% is 3rd in the nation; their team 3-point percentage of 39.8% is 19th in the country. How could that possibly be the 56th best offense? I'm guessing the computer models are probably devaluing Loyola Chicago statistics due to the strength of schedule. They're a legitimate top 25 team, possibly top 15. They already have wins over Florida (on the road), Miami, and Tennessee.

I saw a couple of interesting stats in a post in a thread on RR. Someone listed the Sweet 16 teams and their records against the other Sweet 16 teams. Duke is 3-0 against the rest of the Sweet 16, granted those 3 wins came against the other 3 ACC teams that are in the Sweet 16. The only other Sweet 16 team that is undefeated against the rest of the Sweet 16 teams is Villanova at 1-0. Kansas and Texas Tech are the only 2 Sweet 16 teams that have more wins than Duke has against the rest of Sweet 16 teams.

Clemson is a lot different team now than when we played them. They are playing really strong basketball.

Same can be said for 'Cuse.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Clemson is a lot different team now than when we played them. They are playing really strong basketball.

Same can be said for 'Cuse.
I don’t think Syracuse is much different. In fact, I think the gulf has widened between us and ‘Cuse since a couple weeks ago.

A little off topic, at the end of last year, there were A LOT of people calling for brad brownell’s head. As an impartial observer, I thought he should have been canned too, there is a ton of egg on my face. What he’s done this season is remarkable, congratulations to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT