ADVERTISEMENT

Question

DMoore5818

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 4, 2002
Since everyone is starting though provoking threads, my simple uninformed mind couldn't resist getting in the spotlight

This years team may very well turn a corner like the 2015 did, and I think that is the basis for any hopeful post. My fear is that this team doesn't have a Tyus Jones or a Winslow. We have Okafor covered and Quinn.....although Grayson hasn't been nearly as consistent as Quinn was his senior year. I think Tate hit on it in another thread, but can Duval develop into that kind of guard that Tyus or Jon or Bobby or JWill were on championship teams. Can we find an all purpose guy like Winslow was on this team. Not sure we have an Amile or a Grayson or a Matty who sparked that 2015 team. There are no Billy Kings or Brian Davis' anymore. Not at Duke. They are at UVa.

Look, I know it is early, but there is a dark feeling that this team is trending towards another year where the pieces don't come together consistently enough to become a special team, and then, again, they are all gone and no solid foundation is set to mix with three more kids that will be here 8 months

My biggest question though is this. What is this staff going to do when they change the OAD rule. I mean, think about it. All of a sudden there are no Irvings or Jabari's or Ingrams , Tatum's, Bagley's. The 2nd tier players that have developed in the Duke program the last 7-8 years are few and far between. With OAD's we have exited the tournament in the first weekend 3 of the past 5 years. We last won a regular season title .... when? Unbalanced or not

Can we do what Brey is doing at Notre Dame, or Roy at unc or Wright at Villanova or Izzo.

Then again, once this team goes on a run and cuts the nets in Brooklyn and San Antonio, I guess it won't matter.

But if we flame out again this year, it will be interesting to see. And maybe fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News