ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction: Marques Bolden vs Mark Williams?

youngman42

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
What think ye ... will Mark Williams turn out to be a more impactful player at center than Bolden was? The same? Not as good?

(I like Bolden as a person; and appreciated his staying at Duke as long as he did; just didn't have that aggressive competitive mentality needed to elevate his game).

Williams looks like he will need a year or two, at least. I think he will have to get a lot stronger to get PT. Often tall thin PFs and Cs don't seem to develop physically at Duke, fitting the old Bill Parcells mantra - "if they don't bite as pups, they usually don't bite when they grow up."

Reactions: christophero
He looks quicker and more athletic than Bolden. Hopefully he is enough of a pleasant surprise to contribute without being 1 and done.

Good question. I think Bolden would have finally busted out as a senior. But since he never came back I'm gonna pick Williams. Bolden was an enigma for sure. Although Bolden's promise and NBA ready frame never consistently produced at Duke. He certainly looked like a one and done out of high school. Hopefully Williams has the motor and frame to make up for his lack of strength. I also hope Williams is not foul prone, which often happens with developing bigs.

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeNation12
The difference between the two shouldn't be based on athleticism or basketball skills but mentality. Bolden wanted to be AOD from the minute he stepped foot on campus. His attitude was always about him being elite. Williams doesnt present that way

I think that Bolden will have a long professional career and earn significant money. I suspect that Williams will be more productive at Duke. Bolden was a top 10 recruit hoping to play only one year. It's tough recruiting big men. If they live up to the hype, then they only play one year. It's better to use the Virginia model, recruiting Centers who concentrate on screening, rebounding and guarding the basket

I guess I'll be the first to say it...Mark Williams will be a one and done. For some reason I get this feeling he will be a dominant rim protector and show he can move his feet on switches. Nowadays you don't need an actual post game to be a big in the NBA. I just get Gobert vibes from him but with a decent jumper.

I thought Bolden was a good guy and always wished him success. I think he had slow feet and reactions and that kept him back. That's key in college ball considering that few teams have back to basket centers. I have no clue what to expect from Williams (but always hope for the best).

I think Williams has almost everything over Bolden coming in: size/strength/length as well as finishing ability, defensive rim protection/rebounding and Motor. Love Bolden..we saw what he could do in small flashes but I think Mark will be more consistent doing all the little things from day 1.

I’m not sure what his number will look like bc he’s competing against some really good guys for minutes...but he will definitely have an impact year 1. If we are lucky maybe Well get him for another year 2 (if I had to guess now I’d say he comes back) I’m not comparing the two on impact or the Draft but I see Williams closer to a Mo Bamba than Bolden.

Last edited:
I can easily see if Tape' can hold his own he might start the season off as the starting 5. Neither Tape' or Williams are proven at ACC level but Tape' is prob a tad more advanced offensively

I think part or Bolden's problem was that he was recruited as the #1 center in the country but yet was not a top 10 recruit by any service, it was a super down year for Centers, that was the Tatum/Giles class. He came in expecting to be a OAD and apparently was looking great before the season started then got hurt. From then on, things just never went his way. His sophomore year we had Bagley and Carter (which every fan should kill for) but that forced Bolden to take a backseat for another year. His junior year he had everything laid out perfect for him, only had to compete with Javin for the starting spot, he had that amazing moment in Maui when he blocked some shots in a row and had a couple alley-oops and putbacks all in a 4 minute spirt, that might have been the highlight of his career.

Williams seems to come in with a much different attitude (not that Boldens was bad or anything) but Williams seems hungry and also is more of a late bloomer. He hasn't really been awarded anything other than a late 5 star ranking, he still has a lot to prove. Williams also fits the bill for a more "modern" center, blocking shots and running the floor are more his thing, whereas Bolden was a traditional back to the basket big.

I think part or Bolden's problem was that he was recruited as the #1 center in the country but yet was not a top 10 recruit by any service, it was a super down year for Centers, that was the Tatum/Giles class. He came in expecting to be a OAD and apparently was looking great before the season started then got hurt. From then on, things just never went his way. His sophomore year we had Bagley and Carter (which every fan should kill for) but that forced Bolden to take a backseat for another year. His junior year he had everything laid out perfect for him, only had to compete with Javin for the starting spot, he had that amazing moment in Maui when he blocked some shots in a row and had a couple alley-oops and putbacks all in a 4 minute spirt, that might have been the highlight of his career.

Williams seems to come in with a much different attitude (not that Boldens was bad or anything) but Williams seems hungry and also is more of a late bloomer. He hasn't really been awarded anything other than a late 5 star ranking, he still has a lot to prove. Williams also fits the bill for a more "modern" center, blocking shots and running the floor are more his thing, whereas Bolden was a traditional back to the basket big.

Golden was lazy with a few mild injuries. He didn't play with a second gear or attitude. If Williams is healthy, aggressive defensively and can finish at the rim...then it's time to recruit another BIG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT