ADVERTISEMENT

Players We Are Most Excited To See This Season...

dbav

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2014
For me, it's Steward and Coleman.

Steward can really light it up from what I can tell.

Coleman had all the physical gifts. We'll see how well he uses them.

I look forward to seeing Moore's progression as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
Goldwire, Baker, Moore and Hurt are the four I want to see build off of last season.

Williams and Coleman are the two incoming freshman I’m most interested in seeing play .

I'm gonna say Steward and Moore. I think they are x factors here. I believe we know we are going to see Hurt blossom this year, but I'm just as excited for these two. I love Stewards game. He is aggressive and his j is nasty in all forms

New guys- Roach. I’m always most enamored by a new PG.

Returning- Hurt. Have been saying he will be our top scorer and i really believe it. 17.5ppg is my expectation and i think he will prove to be a leader. He’s older already and experienced a typical up and down freshman year. He has the chance to make a big leap and i think he does.

Of the freshman Coleman and Brakefield. Brakefield can be a star by year 2 if he is patient. Coleman just seems like one of those guys coach likes.

Reactions: dbav
I think Williams is the biggest wildcard. He could be dominant or he could be lost. My guess is he blows up his second year if he is around that long.

Reactions: skysdad and Liftee
Williams and Jalen Johnson. Williams will be the key to us winning and being a legitimate favorite. A dominant shot blocking center to go along with our always efficient offense. Jalen Johnson because I recently seen workout video of him and he’s a better shooting Ben Simmons at this age. I saw him euro step and dunk on the guy checking him. Plus I think I read somewhere that he may be up to 6’10. He’s going to be like no other player we’ve ever had. A 6’10 point forward

I think Jalen will be the best player we have this season. He can do everything and his size is such a huge advantage.

i don’t expect a whole lot from Coleman or Brakefield. Not saying they won’t have their moments but i think they’ll have more of the typical freshman seasons. Inconsistent, up and down.

I'm always up to for seeing the new guys. I don't follow recruiting as close as some so the early season is always fun for me. Definitely Hurt is up there, but to me it's Moore. I can't wait to see what he brings this year. He has all the talent and ability and physical features. He showed moments of brilliance last year. What's his Sophomore campaign look like? Sky's the limit (not you Sky :) )

Alan

New guys- Roach. I’m always most enamored by a new PG.

Returning- Hurt. Have been saying he will be our top scorer and i really believe it. 17.5ppg is my expectation and i think he will prove to be a leader. He’s older already and experienced a typical up and down freshman year. He has the chance to make a big leap and i think he does.

I forgot about Roach. I'm excited to see him but I'm also a bit nervous if I'm being honest. I've read so much about his game, some of which is conflicting, that I don't know what to expect. And that position is so important obviously. I think he'll be good, but how good.

Reactions: timo0402
IMO Mark Williams is the key to how great this Duke team can be. There is a super wide range of outcomes for how his season can go. He is extremely talented and athletic, but he's also very raw and still seems to be growing into his body.

Wouldn't shock me if he's our defensive anchor: blocking shots, rebounding, and catching tons of alley-oops. Playing himself into a first- round lock.
Also wouldn't shock me if he's just not ready yet for ACC basketball and only plays 10-15 minutes.

I think Goldwire plays a lot. The 2 freshman guards are not top 15 guys so going exclusively with them early is probably not a good idea. I think Roach and Goldwire start.

I forgot about Roach. I'm excited to see him but I'm also a bit nervous if I'm being honest. I've read so much about his game, some of which is conflicting, that I don't know what to expect. And that position is so important obviously. I think he'll be good, but how good.
Agree and agree with @christophero in that i think Jordan, seasoned and calming presence as a senior will help Roach. He should be a really fun player to watch with this group.

No doubt, it’s Jalen Johnson, Mark Williams, and Dj Steward. I have read that Mark Williams is a lot better than his rankings indicate. I’m also excited to see what a sophomore Hurt and Moore can bring to the table!

Nice article on DJ Steward on DBR. Really talks up his court awareness and basketball IQ.

I think Hurt falls flat on his face just cause everybody says otherwise....or am I just trying to positivity jinx it idkkkk:D

Hurt Moore Baker and Goldwire is a solid core to build around. Whether we are a 2nd round/Sweet 16 team or better depends on how much the freshman give us. I will say that 2 other x factors are Baker and Tape. Tape could surprise, and if Baker shoots the lights out we are elite.

Like always with the high turnover of our 1 and done era, there are a lot of "questionmarks" and fewer reliable expectations. This team should at least be very good/top 15. If none disappoint and a couple exceed expectations, we are top 5.

I think Goldwire plays a lot. The 2 freshman guards are not top 15 guys so going exclusively with them early is probably not a good idea. I think Roach and Goldwire start.

If Roach and Goldwire start then (at least) one of Moore, Johnson or Hurt comes off the bench. Any thoughts on which one?

If Roach and Goldwire start then (at least) one of Moore, Johnson or Hurt comes off the bench. Any thoughts on which one?
I think coach will go small with those 5. I do think Williams and Tape will see the floor in certain match ups. Maybe Moore if we go big.

I respectfully disagree Timo. K has a history of loyalty to his perhaps slightly less gifted, yet devoted seniors. Think Matt Jones. I say Goldwire starts a bunch of games this season, and I think he averages 25 minutes a game.

I respectfully disagree Timo. K has a history of loyalty to his perhaps slightly less gifted, yet devoted seniors. Think Matt Jones. I say Goldwire starts a bunch of games this season, and I think he averages 25 minutes a game.
I could certainly be wrong but i figure that Roach, Moore, Jalen and Hurt are locks to start. Having Jordan in there would help for leadership and experience, although it pushes Hurt to the 5. It wouldn’t surprise me though to see a plethora of starting lineup combinations throughout the season, much like we saw this passed season.

25mpg seems like a lot to me, but again, he’s proven me wrong more times this past year than i can count, so i won’t bet against him.

I don’t think Goldwire will start, then again i didn’t think he would play a whole lot last year and i was dead wrong about that.

Jordan will play a lot. He will not start every game but I think depending on the oppponent he will start some games. I think he will be a great leader like onto what Quinn Cook was. At least I hope that happens. OFC

Last edited:
Jordan is a key guy for us. If he can give us 20 minutes per game and hit some threes he will really help us. I'd like to see Baker get 15 minutes per game as well and hit some 3s. We need vets on the floor.

Reactions: skysdad
Going back to Jiml's question about starters, that presumes that one of the two centers starts. No guarantee that happens. On the other hand, if Hurt hasn't toughened up, he doesn't get an automatic start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT