ADVERTISEMENT

Paid college athletes is all but here

Salute to California! Way to get the ball rolling!

Well, last I recall no team West of the Rockies has won an NCAA MBB or CFB championship this century (didn’t USC’s get vacated?). So I don’t think we’ll be losing much if they are kicked out of the NCAA.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Well, last I recall no team West of the Rockies has won an NCAA MBB or CFB championship this century (didn’t USC’s get vacated?). So I don’t think we’ll be losing much if they are kicked out of the NCAA.

Doubt it

Terrible idea, although be knew it might be coming. This just might be the end of college sports as we know and love. Figures that California would do something like this. All other states will have to fall in line, otherwise most of the really good athletes will go to Cal. to play sports. I really hope the NCAA gets some nads this time and banishes California schools from any type of championship play..

Terrible idea, although be knew it might be coming. This just might be the end of college sports as we know and love. Figures that California would do something like this. All other states will have to fall in line, otherwise most of the really good athletes will go to Cal. to play sports. I really hope the NCAA gets some nads this time and banishes California schools from any type of championship play..
This won’t be just a California thing. Other States will soon follow!

Who gets paid, how much, when....all have to be ironed out. How much should the University keep of personal rights revenue for providing a platform to showcase talent etc? Do we pay all athletes or just those who can sell jersey's? What does this do to eligibility? ....its easy to pass a sweeping proclamation, the devil is in the details. I prefer college sports to pro. Its not without its flaws but this pushes the personal over the team aspect, which inevitably will seep into the team vs indivdual dynamic which I dont believe will benefit college sports overall. Hope I'm wrong.

This won’t be just a California thing. Other States will soon follow!
I read on Twitter that South Carolina is about to petition this exact same thing along with New York.

What people need to understand is this means athletes can now be paid off their likeness. It's pretty easy. The Zion's and Bagley's of the world can now play in college and get paid because are super marketable. Only a tiny chunk of athletes will profit off of this. This does not mean that all athletes will be paid, probably like 0.1% of college athletes.

I read on Twitter that South Carolina is about to petition this exact same thing along with New York.

What people need to understand is this means athletes can now be paid off their likeness. It's pretty easy. The Zion's and Bagley's of the world can now play in college and get paid because are super marketable. Only a tiny chunk of athletes will profit off of this. This does not mean that all athletes will be paid, probably like 0.1% of college athletes.

Right! A no-brainer!

Reactions: jwill133
Be very wary of any legislation coming out of California. Someone is about to get hit with a big tax bill.

King James knows what’s best for mankind. King and some politician get together and solve another world problem. Use to have some respect for him but not so much anymore.

Just another rich spoiled athlete that is not nearly as smart as he thinks.

When does it move to high school? Youth sports? Should a player with the exposure of someone like Zion be able to cash in as a 16 year old?

When does it move to high school? Youth sports? Should a player with the exposure of someone like Zion be able to cash in as a 16 year old?
Child actors, singers, toy reviewers, YouTube stars, gamers, et al. all get to make money off their talents. Not trying to argue, just pointing out how sports is treated differently, but unlike the other professions you have a much higher risk of an accident/injury ending your career in sports. I know they get a free education and as someone with a ton of student loan debt I agree a scholarship is compensation. But, it caps it when they could be making a lot more. I’m not sure there is a perfect solution, but I think they should get something when their likeness is used and shouldn’t have to worry about having enough money to eat like a few players have said in the past.

The first thing they need to do is get rid of OAD. If someone is good enough to go to the NBA then they should go. But, the NBA likes the rule bc it gives them a year to analyze potential draft picks.

Child actors, singers, toy reviewers, YouTube stars, gamers, et al. all get to make money off their talents. Not trying to argue, just pointing out how sports is treated differently, but unlike the other professions you have a much higher risk of an accident/injury ending your career in sports. I know they get a free education and as someone with a ton of student loan debt I agree a scholarship is compensation. But, it caps it when they could be making a lot more. I’m not sure there is a perfect solution, but I think they should get something when their likeness is used and shouldn’t have to worry about having enough money to eat like a few players have said in the past.

The first thing they need to do is get rid of OAD. If someone is good enough to go to the NBA then they should go. But, the NBA likes the rule bc it gives them a year to analyze potential draft picks.

Great post coach. ;) OFC

Reactions: FearTheBeard

Very true, but those you listed are elevating themselves. Sports figures are also being used to elevate programs. Are the programs that have better marketing programs going to get the better athletes? Can a big donor come in and say, "So this is a limited edition shirt, here is a 1000 dollars." I have no problem with them getting some type of stipend so they can have some pocket money, but lets be honest, the kids at the power 5 schools are eating better than most of us and the amenities that these students have avaliable to them is unreal. Yes, sports is treated differently because it is different.

Very true, but those you listed are elevating themselves. Sports figures are also being used to elevate programs. Are the programs that have better marketing programs going to get the better athletes? Can a big donor come in and say, "So this is a limited edition shirt, here is a 1000 dollars." I have no problem with them getting some type of stipend so they can have some pocket money, but lets be honest, the kids at the power 5 schools are eating better than most of us and the amenities that these students have avaliable to them is unreal. Yes, sports is treated differently because it is different.
good post. who is going to police this? the NCAA? Schools with the deepest pockets will get the best athletes. Who will say if Nike is paying or a wealthy donor. A whole new can of works is now open.

Reactions: Dukeman
Be very wary of any legislation coming out of California. Someone is about to get hit with a big tax bill.

King James knows what’s best for mankind. King and some politician get together and solve another world problem. Use to have some respect for him but not so much anymore.

Just another rich spoiled athlete that is not nearly as smart as he thinks.

Taxes? Unlikely… Are you not aware how much some schools make? And that the NCAA makes billions? Plus, no details have been worked out... it may just impact high profile guys, like Zion. There is no reason to think this will impact taxes.

And James is not only one of the smartest players in the NBA, he seems like quite a good dude. He is the force behind a really revolutionary charter school ( and I am no fan of charter schools) And then something like this, making sure that kids, many of whom could use the money, get a sliver of the billion dollar pie? It’s not going to benefit him at all, but I appreciate him looking out for others. Then there are other programs, like the After School All Stars, the Children’s Defense Fund, the Boys and Girls Club of America, etc etc. that James has either started or been a major contributor to... he is one of the biggest charitable donors in sports. I know Coach K agrees... he loves James, and has sung his praises often... K said "He has a great heart, great mind, great voice and a great body. No one has had all of that. I can't say anything more than that about him. I mean, he's the best." K has spoken about James being brilliant and intellectual. I know it goes both ways... LeBron thinks K is the best.

James seems like a guy who does it right, who is still closest friends w his high school teammates bc they are true friends, who sacrificed personal profit so teams could get better players, who is proud of his country, and has given more away than nearly any other athlete. The Decision might have been dumb, and you might root for a different team, but overall I find that people who hate him tend to be forcing it, tend to be projecting a lot of their own issues on a public figure they know very little about, and fall into that unfortunate and somewhat selfish “shut up and dribble” category.

Me, I’m all for it, although there will be a lot to figure out. But if it brings back a college basketball video game, count me in! :)

Last edited:
The article I read said the date for all this in Cali was 2023, so its still got a while before it happens. I would imagine in that span the NCAA steps in and changes some rules, otherwise they risk being pushed aside by a large group of their member institutions.

As for the problems, there are MANY. I doubt whatever plan is hatched in the coming years will work perfectly. That said, whats happening right now isnt exactly perfect either.

NCAA would have some potential legal precedent over the state sponsored laws, seeing as how federal government regulates interstate commerce and most California schools exist in conferences that cross state borders.

The biggest issue I see in any scenario where the athletes are getting paid is "who do you pay?" Obviously some are much more marketable. Those players (mostly MBB and FB, and even there probably like 2% or something) are few and far between. Arguably the lacrosse players bring in less money to a school than most regular students. So paying every athlete still is not fair, but they ALL dedicate time and effort to the school. However, so does the undergrad who writes a paper for the schools academic journal. Its tough for sure

pj hairston would clean up. Rental car commercials, gun and ammo commercials. The roof or the ceiling wouldn't be his limit. It would be tye sky. OFC
Lmao Sky!! Good laugh this morning to get my day started lol.

Will there be some sort of revenue sharing within the team sports? Example..will Joey Bench Warmer get a cut of any team picture or poster or documentary that contains his likeness?
Since this is California will there be measures to ensure there is no compensation inequalities between male and female college athletes?
Strictly looking at basketball...high school athletes have an option to make money by going to the G-league or overseas. Overseas usually being the better option from a compensation standpoint. None of them have to go to college. There’s is a reason why the majority choose college instead. Exposure & facilities, usually better coaching and a place where they can work on fundamentals.
I understand this intermediate professional league option is not available for the majority of the rest of the big college sports.
I don’t really care about the issue one way or the other. Do Universities profit off of individual and team athletes. Without a doubt yes.
Universities also perform tons of R&D for big pharma, medical and technological companies. The ones doing the research are the students. The compensation they receive pales in comparison to to the average yearly room & board expenses etc...of the average D1 athlete.

Taxes? Unlikely… Are you not aware how much some schools make? And that the NCAA makes billions? Plus, no details have been worked out... it may just impact high profile guys, like Zion. There is no reason to think this will impact taxes.

And James is not only one of the smartest players in the NBA, he seems like quite a good dude. He is the force behind a really revolutionary charter school ( and I am no fan of charter schools) And then something like this, making sure that kids, many of whom could use the money, get a sliver of the billion dollar pie? It’s not going to benefit him at all, but I appreciate him looking out for others. Then there are other programs, like the After School All Stars, the Children’s Defense Fund, the Boys and Girls Club of America, etc etc. that James has either started or been a major contributor to... he is one of the biggest charitable donors in sports. I know Coach K agrees... he loves James, and has sung his praises often... K said "He has a great heart, great mind, great voice and a great body. No one has had all of that. I can't say anything more than that about him. I mean, he's the best." K has spoken about James being brilliant and intellectual. I know it goes both ways... LeBron thinks K is the best.

James seems like a guy who does it right, who is still closest friends w his high school teammates bc they are true friends, who sacrificed personal profit so teams could get better players, who is proud of his country, and has given more away than nearly any other athlete. The Decision might have been dumb, and you might root for a different team, but overall I find that people who hate him tend to be forcing it, tend to be projecting a lot of their own issues on a public figure they know very little about, and fall into that unfortunate and mind bending you selfish “shut up and dribble” category.

Me, I’m all for it, although there will be a lot to figure out. But if it brings back a college basketball video game, count me in! :)
Mic drop point for me. Very well stated for a filthy rich, extremely well known athlete that has been giving back to his community and many others from day one. In my opinion, you have to really nitpick to dislike him for not only on the court, but off the court things he represents.

Get rid of the one and done. If kid is good enough go straight to NBA or G-League and get paid.

If he chooses to go to college use the baseball rule and require that he stay three years. Give everyone a stipend. My guess is that if NCAA weren’t so greedy they could afford to do so.

Be assured that this new legislation will not level the playing field. State schools with large fan bases will be the big winners.

The UNC-Cheats and schools that tend to cheat will continue to do so. In fact it will probably ramp up cheating.

Get rid of the one and done. If kid is good enough go straight to NBA or G-League and get paid.

If he chooses to go to college use the baseball rule and require that he stay three years. Give everyone a stipend. My guess is that if NCAA weren’t so greedy they could afford to do so.

Be assured that this new legislation will not level the playing field. State schools with large fan bases will be the big winners.

The UNC-Cheats and schools that tend to cheat will continue to do so. In fact it will probably ramp up cheating.

My thoughts exactly . OFC

I am assuming the reasons for the legislation are (1) the O'Bannon case; (2) Swimmers, golfers and gymnasts at Stanford, UCLA, USC etc. who the schools want to try to keep in school; (3) Schools like (again) UCLA and USC that aren't doing so well in football and basketball that hope this will give them a head start over colleges in other states.

I do not have a problem with athletes making something SOLELY off of their images, without reference to the schools they play for. An athlete's name on a plain jersey is one thing. His or her name on a Duke jersey is another. In the latter situation the athlete is profiting as much or more from the goodwill and fan base of the school, without compensating the school for the benefit the athlete receives. So the problem would become finding a way to allocate income between the school and the athlete. In my mind, it would require an overly subjective process that cannot be fairly implemented.

(3) Schools like (again) UCLA and USC that aren't doing so well in football and basketball that hope this will give them a head start over colleges in other states.

That is what my original thoughts were. If that were the case then other schools would refuse to play them.

I do not have a problem with athletes making something SOLELY off of their images, without reference to the schools they play for. An athlete's name on a plain jersey is one thing. His or her name on a Duke jersey is another. In the latter situation the athlete is profiting as much or more from the goodwill and fan base of the school, without compensating the school for the benefit the athlete receives. So the problem would become finding a way to allocate income between the school and the athlete. In my mind, it would require an overly subjective process that cannot be fairly implemented.

I get it... but if the adults could implement a system where schools and networks and the like can split up billions, I’m sure they can figure this out:)

I agree there is a difference. I think a stipend is a great idea re: addressing the profits the schools make off the players, but I think the players should profit off their likeness when used by a 3rd party. If that means the money has to go into a trust until they go pro or quit playing college sports, then that’s a good solution to a difficult problem. I just don’t like the idea of a company or organization making money off someone else without their permission and/or sharing the profits. If the OAD rule went away my position would probably change bc then they’d have the ability to enter the market and make a living. I don’t like the idea of telling someone you have to wait to go pro and you can’t make any money (outside the scholarship) while you wait.

good post. who is going to police this? the NCAA? Schools with the deepest pockets will get the best athletes. Who will say if Nike is paying or a wealthy donor. A whole new can of works is now open.

Schools with the deepest pockets are already getting the best athletes! Hell, even schools without deep pockets are getting the best athletes. Memphis just signed a top ranked class.

To the Tim Tebow’s of the world who are against this, he doesn’t have to accept any money if he’s in college. But he would be unique. Not every star college athlete comes from a place where money isn’t an issue. If he doesn’t NEED it, then he can decline to make money off of his likeness. But don’t speak for other star athletes who could benefit from this along with their families. I mean, its for the best interest of the student athlete, right?

Reactions: jwill133
I need to understand the details of this before making an educated opinion on it. On the surface, of course anyone should be able to earn off of their work and likeness. Having said that, there is some serious slippery slope potential if this isn’t ironed out near perfectly. Who gets paid, how much, by whom, when, and what do you do with all of the non revenue generating sports programs who are funded in full by the one maybe two revenue generating programs at each school. Lot to unpack.

Reactions: bgeekb and hpnole
Just from the fan perspective here, we think some of these kids don’t play for name on front of jersey now? Let some of them start getting paid.
I realize the players bring in a lot without getting paid for it. That’s not fair. But life isn’t fair. If a kid has been poor his whole life, what’s another 8 months.

Yes the ncaa has problems now, coaches make tons of money, and it costs an arm and a leg to go watch a game.

A lot has to be worked out before this passes, but in my opinion, if this does pass in a few years, we will see bigger trouble.

Let's me honest. College players have been paid for many, many years. I really don't think that eerybody does it as one of my unc cheater u friends likes to say but it's been around for at least 70 plus years in some form. This just makes it legal and I do have mixed feelings about it and it changes daily. I guess if I'm a fence sitter on something thisvis it. But here's the thing thatcgets me and it is even with is fact that although these athletes who can make money because of their likeness the old fashion under the table payments will still exist. No matter what rules, regualations, standards or integrity that are set there will be cheaters and ways of getting by with it being created. It's like that in all walks of life. Someone is figuring out away to cheat. As many of you know I keep softball scores for my hometown rec league. Players buy a couple of $300.00 bats each year, go to the rec dept and have them stamped as legal then go and shave the inside of the to get more bat speed. The bats are of composite material and even without shaving them they are lethal . Some of the balls look like titlelist leaving the tee with a driver. Pitchers are wearing face mask and shin guards to keep from getting seriously hurt. Then the next year they have to go buy more bats because the ones they are using are now illegal. Funny thing is these same players gripe about $35.00 entry fees. I've just started adult kickball (yes I know but it's10 bucks a game ) and it's justba matter of time before someone figures out a way to load up their shoes in some way. It's a cheater world unfortunatly but cheating like our rivals the unc cheater u has gotten by with it's just like a hickey. You can cover it up but it's still there. It still happened even though in time the hickey may be forgotten but that hickey happened. Sorry for the marathon post. I can't help it. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT