ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who is the most famous celebrity or athlete that you are on a first name basis with.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Robert Remus A.K.A. Sgt. Slaughter. I met him while I was still working in the cabinet business. I knew he had settled down in my home town and one day he walks in to the cabinet store and said I'm Robert Remus and I'm interested in remodeling my kitchen. I told him I knew he was also Sgt. Slaughter and he broke into a big grin. I never sold him the cabinets but every time he would call the store he would go into character and say Phillip this is the Sarge. I did go to his house a couple of times and it was a modest home full of his memorabilia . He told me some great stories of his wrestling buddies and just a down to earth guy. Don't hardly see him around much because he probably gets tired of the attention but when I have seen him he always speaks to me.

This thread is open to our thr friends even guru gary -7 but I ask him to keep his celebrities and athlete list to 50. We don't need to feel like peons. :D OFC

Donnie Presley from The John Boy and Billy Show. If anyone doesn't know it, he used to do the skits 'this is police officer Donnie Presley where he stutters. The other is former Duke player Howard Hurt

Reactions: skysdad
Donnie Presley from The John Boy and Billy Show. If anyone doesn't know it, he used to do the skits 'this is police officer Donnie Presley where he stutters. The other is former Duke player Howard Hurt

Donnie Presley is awesome. OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I guess really, nobody...he closest I came to being on a first name basis with anyone was Alonzo Morning. when I was in the Navy, he used to come in the gym on base in Little Creek, VA and play basketball with us. At that time, he had graduated high school, but wasn't at Georgetown yet. A yes, he used to come in there and school everybody in the gym!!

Darrell Green. I play basketball with him and a group of other athletes, but he's easily the most successful of all of them. And even over the age of 50 the man is still lightning in a bottle. He's such a humble and good guy too.

I don't know if I'd say that we're necessarily on a first name basis but Jason Michael Carroll is from my area and comes into my local bar on a somewhat regular basis when he's in town from touring. We've talked several times and we usually end up talking basketball. He's a UNC fan so we usually talk about Duke/UNC and the last time he was in town we started a conversation about Roy not using his timeouts (which he brought up the conversation). He's a pretty nice and down to earth guy. Funny story, I'm disabled and in a wheelchair and one night he walked over and sat in my lap and we both laughed afterwards. lol

Nobody anymore... I'm just a lowly elementary school teacher:)

Back in the day would have been better... Bob DeNiro maybe, or Michael Douglas... or any of a hundred NHL players.

But no one really now, unless you count the owner of Goya.

Robert Remus A.K.A. Sgt. Slaughter. I met him while I was still working in the cabinet business. I knew he had settled down in my home town and one day he walks in to the cabinet store and said I'm Robert Remus and I'm interested in remodeling my kitchen. I told him I knew he was also Sgt. Slaughter and he broke into a big grin. I never sold him the cabinets but every time he would call the store he would go into character and say Phillip this is the Sarge. I did go to his house a couple of times and it was a modest home full of his memorabilia . He told me some great stories of his wrestling buddies and just a down to earth guy. Don't hardly see him around much because he probably gets tired of the attention but when I have seen him he always speaks to me.

This thread is open to our thr friends even guru gary -7 but I ask him to keep his celebrities and athlete list to 50. We don't need to feel like peons. :D OFC

Sky, during my time at Elon my wife and I became very close with Don Kernodle and of course his sidekick in the ring was Sargent Slaughter. They held the world title for a while.

I was saddened to learn last year that Don had passed

Tommy Burleson (former NC State star and NBA player in the 70's-early 80's). We work together.

Sky, during my time at Elon my wife and I became very close with Don Kernodle and of course his sidekick in the ring was Sargent Slaughter. They held the world title for a while.

I was saddened to learn last year that Don had passed

Good news for you. I don't know where you heard that Kernodle had passed away but he's alive and kicking. I knew him before he was a professional wrestler. OFC

Admittedly I would probably have to remind each of these guys who I am, but Mitch Albom, Reggie Love and Connor Barwin. I interned for Mitch Albom's radio show back in college. Also in college, I ran into Reggie Love at an MSU bar while he was working for the Obama campaign. Told him I was a big Duke fan, and he said he was surprised I recognized him. We partied together the rest of the night with some other guys from the campaign. I went to middle school with Connor Barwin who is now with the LA Rams.

Good news for you. I don't know where you heard that Kernodle had passed away but he's alive and kicking. I knew him before he was a professional wrestler. OFC

Wow that is good news! I was told by another professional wrestler. He even gave me details...I guess he was totally confused.

Yes we got close to him when my wife and I worked at Brown and Company. He came in very regular.

Wow that is good news! I was told by another professional wrestler. He even gave me details...I guess he was totally confused.

Yes we got close to him when my wife and I worked at Brown and Company. He came in very regular.

He works for the sheriff's dept in the detention center. Still see him from time to time and he's always in character. He was in character before he started wrestling. In fact he is a character. Google him. OFC

Admittedly I would probably have to remind each of these guys who I am, but Mitch Albom, Reggie Love and Connor Barwin. I interned for Mitch Albom's radio show back in college. Also in college, I ran into Reggie Love at an MSU bar while he was working for the Obama campaign. Told him I was a big Duke fan, and he said he was surprised I recognized him. We partied together the rest of the night with some other guys from the campaign. I went to middle school with Connor Barwin who is now with the LA Rams.
I had 4-5 classes with Reggie, did some class projects with him. I'm not surprised you ended up sharing spirits. He was good people. I haven't seen him in 13 years.

Reactions: MSUbluedevil
Bruce Smith who used to live around the corner from me in my old neighborhood and Kam Chancellor who now lives across the hall from my condo during the offseason. I also do some legal work for Kam. Both are extremely nice and down to earth especially Kam.

Reactions: dukehokie
Peyton Manning, Dahntay Jones, Jay Williams, Ed, Chad, Chad and Patrick from Live, Sen. John Edwards, Gov.'s Jim Hunt and Mike Easley

Reactions: dukehokie
No joke, Christian Laettner. Met him last month at charity clinic and now working to get CL basketball academy to run clinic for my league. We had a great conversation about lack of fundamentals taught today. I'm standing there talking to CL while my son is wearing the #32 jersey I bought in 1992. He signed it.

No joke, Christian Laettner. Met him last month at charity clinic and now working to get CL basketball academy to run clinic for my league. We had a great conversation about lack of fundamentals taught today. I'm standing there talking to CL while my son is wearing the #32 jersey I bought in 1992. He signed it.

Lies you ARE him! :D

Reactions: Laettner
so looking at this i guess i am kinda lucky. i have met a bunch. probably my favorite story about celebs involves kim bassinger. i used to work at the bridgetender in wbch and did a lot of caterings for them. i also cooked lunches and her and alec would come in most days for lunch while filming marrying man and i would make them whatever they wanted. two years in a row we did kims bday party at her and alecs figure eight beach home. several years later and several jobs down the road i was having dinner at the bt with my mom who was visiting and who comes up to the table but kim (who was also visiting wbch with friends and having dinner at the bt) and introduces herself to my mother and tells her how good we were to her. that is one of my moms favorite stories still and i can never say a bad thing about kim. to do that was very cool of her.

Used to play softball with Dell Curry when he was a Hornet. My son and Steph and Seth played together during our softball game.

Reactions: pisgah101
Landon Donovan, Christine Rampone, Tony DiCicco, Cle Kooiman, Miles Noriss, Kat Murtz, Sue Wicks, chuck Muncie

I still wanna know about the distinguished senator edwards. OFC

Hahaha distinguished alright.. I actually graduated with Andrew Youngs Nephew which is the guy that Edwards got to take blame for getting his mistress child and he wrote the book "the politician"

He's not famous nationwide but he's pretty well known/famous in N.C. but I'm good friends with a guy named Tim Cifers, he's a country singer and he's from my hometown. I've known him for 10+ years and have watched him perform live many times over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT