ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Supporting actors that made the movie.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
Ok it's a week before our next game , the board is a bit slow and I haven't had a thread in a while. Got this idea from the thread about our favorite Christmas movies especially Christmas vacation which had so many big names of future big names in it. Of course Clarke was the main guy and he should have been but what would the movie be without Cousin Eddie. What a supporting character he was and tons of quotes. So let's see what great supporting characters in movies of all kinds that really made the movie so much better.

Cousin Eddie is out since his character is what made me think of this thread. I'm going to start with Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump. Loved Bubba but Bubba died right there on that river in Viet Nam. Lt. Dan fought his demons and his character really helped Gary Sinise. OFC

The Fugitive was a good movie. Tommy Lee Jones did a good job there.

You are correct Duke Denver. If you were OLD like me you would know how difficult it was for Jones to fill the shoes of Barry Morse in that role. He played Lt Phillip Gerard in the iconic 60s series!

OFC

Reactions: DukeDenver
The first movie I took my wife to (when we first started dating) was 'Young Frankenstein'. I loved that movie from the first time on...just like I did my future wife. I don't think she liked the movie as well as I did at that time, but she has grown to love it over the years.

Anyway, back on topic, there are so many great supporting roles in that film.
Marty Feldman as Igor...can't forget the 'hump' switching back and forth from his left and right. And of course , who's brain did he bring Dr. Frankenstein...Abby, Abby Normal...I still crack up at that!

Peter Boyle as 'the Monster'. Too many hilarious scenes to mention them all.

Gene Hackman as the Blindman...only a bit part in the movie, but the antics with 'the Monster' were hysterical.

There are many more great performances in this movie. Just a great, great movie imo.

OFC

Dazed and Confused. Came out my junior or senior year of high school and hit cult status when I was in college. All the actors were pretty much unknowns....Matthew McConaughey (sp), Ben Affleck, Milla Jovovich, Adam Goldberg, Joey Lauren Adams, Nicky Katt, Parker Posey and more. Oddly, it kind of summed up high school, too....

I have two.....
One of my favorite movies is Tin Cup.....Cheech Marin did a good job staying pissed at Costner!

Another favorite of mine is Tommy Boy......David Spade did a great job being a sarcastic, snobby, brat with Chris Farley

Rocky balboa In creed

Anthony Hopkins in silence of the lamb.. only had 11 min crazy!

Sean Connery in the third Indiana Jones

Reactions: skysdad
Michael Pena in Ant Man

Lawrence Fishburn and/or Joe Montagna in Searching for Bobby Fisher

Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman in the Professional

Wes Studi in Last of the Mohicans

Sean Astin in the Lord of the Rings movies

Frank Grillo in the Grey

Chris Tucker in the 5th Element

Was Tim Curry considered a supporting actor in Clue?

I can keep going, haha

Last edited:
There are thousands of Supporting Actors or Actresses but these are a few who came to mind:

1-Jay Silverheels who player Tonto in the Long Ranger TV Series
2-Ken Curtis who played Festus Hagen in Gunsmoke
3-Frank Sutton who player Sgt Vince Carter in Gomer Pyle USMC
4-Barbara Hale who player Della Street in Perry Mason
5-Jackie Gleason who played Minnesota Fats in the movie The Hustler

Mario Peebles in Heartbreak ridge

Carl Weathers in Predator one

Mel Gibson in Lethal weapon

The whole cast in Horrible bosses and Saving Private Ryan, probably the Green Mile too. How about Heston's cameo in Tombstone. One of the coolest 20 second bits ever.

No television please. Let's just stick to movies. And pisgah Barney was the best.
There are thousands of Supporting Actors or Actresses but these are a few who came to mind:

Movies please gotta. Good television choices all of them. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
It is like 3/4ths of the way into Apocalypse Now before you see Brando.

And also in that same movie, Robert Duvall has minutes of screen time, but is flipping awesome.

Reactions: skysdad and dbav
Martin Csokas in Kingdom of Heaven and the Equalizer

David Wenham in 300

Hailey Steinfeld in True Grit was pretty great. I didn't like the movie a lot, but she was really good.

Jack Palance in city slickers

Kevin James in Hitch

Leonardo Diacaprio in The quick and the dead

I liked Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York.

I mean, DDL is literally the greatest actor ever so..

Edit: Also, would he be considered the supporting actor anyway? He already had one Academy Award for Best Actor under his belt (he's the only actor to have won three).

Last edited:

Somebody is really old.

James Earl Jones in Field of Dreams.

Robert Duval in The Natural.

Donald Sutherland in The Dirty Dozen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts