ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sports trivia. Part three.

I'm surprised that I was correct. I see that Billie Jean King shared the award with John Wooden in 1972. Wooden coached his last game on March 31,1975. Who did his UCLA team defeat in that final game?

No. Close though. UCLA won the 1975 national championship game and Wooden retired. It was a great game. UCLA won 92-85.

Duke, Kansas, and North Carolina have all made the Final Four at least one time in each of the past 5 decades. What other school has accomplished the same feat?

SYRACUSE!!!. I killed at least a million brain cells to figure this one out. They had no business getting there in 1975 or 2016. In 1975, every game they played was a wire job including an ugly win against Phil Ford and UNC

SYRACUSE!!!. I killed at least a million brain cells to figure this one out. They had no business getting there in 1975 or 2016. In 1975, every game they played was a wire job including an ugly win against Phil Ford and UNC

Good job! You are correct.

1975, 1987, 1996, 2003, 2013/16

Reactions: geddoughton23
Who is the Minnesota Vikings star of the 1960s and 1970s who is remembered for recovering 30 fumbles in his career? One of the fumbles he returned 66 yards to the wrong end zone resulting in a safety for the San Francisco 49ers

Jim Marshall. I remember the return to the wrong end, didn't realize he recovered that many fumbles.

I can picture his head sag as his teammate told him he ran the wrong way. Felt bad for a very good player.

I know one for sure but I'm bowing out of this one because of two people getting it right and then trying to figure out which one should ask the next question. OFC

Yes. I was there when Hubie was an assistant. I sometimes (often) wonder how Duke history would have been different if he had become head coach. I think Hubie is one of the great basketball minds. But it worked out pretty well when that Polish guy came along 10 years later.

Which team did Michigan State beat in the Final Four before beating Indiana State for the Title? Hint: they beat Jim Valvano and Iona and Dean Smith and UNC in the first two rounds

Who was the first school to make it to the Final Four for a second time?

There were two schools, actually. They both made the FF for the second time in the same year. So, I'll accept either answer.

Another great question, dukedevilz! I've asked this question in bars before so I won't answer now. I was told by the parents of a player when the one team played UNC in November 1985.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I know that Oregon won the first NCAA tournament in 1939. I'm almost certain that the answer to this question is Ohio State and Dartmouth in 1944. I look forward to dukedevilz confirmation

Reactions: dukedevilz
I know that Oregon won the first NCAA tournament in 1939. I'm almost certain that the answer to this question is Ohio State and Dartmouth in 1944. I look forward to dukedevilz confirmation

You are correct. Ohio State and Dartmouth both made it back to the Final Four, for a second time, in 1944. Good job!

Good job skysdad. You're up!

Paul Tudor Jones, the hedge fund manager, donated 35 million dollars for the naming rights. He named it for his father, John Paul Jones.

In honor of meisperplexed, I'll mention that his daughter, Caroline Jones, is an outstanding country singer

Sticking with UVA where did the basketball Cavs play their home games before John Paul Jones Arena? OFC

University Park is coming to mind, but that is Maryland. University field house ?

You are close . Field house is not part of it though. Just keep thinking. It will come to you. You could be walking down the hall and BAM ! That's it. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT