ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Soda or Pop

QC Dukie

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Apr 16, 2014
Just curious what everyone calls it. My wife and I had this discussion over the weekend. I’m from the south and call it soda. My wife is from western NY near Buffalo and she says pop. What part of the country are y’all from and what do you call it?

Just curious what everyone calls it. My wife and I had this discussion over the weekend. I’m from the south and call it soda. My wife is from western NY near Buffalo and she says pop. What part of the country are y’all from and what do you call it?

QC you've gone Sky!!! Southern boy here (NC) and call it soda, even though on the old Andy Griffith show ( based on North Carolina background) they called it "pop."

OFC

From Minnesota, everyone calls it pop. I decided early on to rebel after a cousin from California had no clue what I was speaking of when I asked, "Want a pop?". So since age 10 or so I've been a "soda" person in "pop" land.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Pop, but when I moved to Charlotte briefly I turned into a soda guy. I feel weird saying both now. I no longer drink pop/soda, so I find myself not having to say it much. What I'd normally say the last few years is "I'll just have a Pepsi." That way I avoided having to use either word.

Reactions: QC Dukie
The correct answer is soda. Pop is a verb. Unless you're one of those people who really enjoys A&W's Cream Pop.

Reactions: sgrooms
2012-11-09-Screenshot20121109at3.05.00PM.png

I’ve always called it soda. When I moved here to NC it was the first time I heard someone refer to it as “ drink”.

Sunny south and call it soda. I will say that I have heard many people call dark soda a coke regardless of who makes it.

I call them soft drinks. I like them in ice cold glass bottle just on the verge of forming ice and since we are on a skylike thread I do agree with hof coach roy williams and I prefer Coke to Pepsi. A occasional R.C. Cola is good also. A special treat on a hot day is a ice cold Nehi Orange in a glass bottle. Nehi Strawberry and Peach are good also. Just a note on all Nehi's the word soda appears so I do use the word soda when drinking a Nehi. Truade Orange is good also but not found as much anymore. When I was a kid Suncrest in all the above flavors were popular but haven't seen any in years. The Mexican orange soft drinks are really good in the glass bottles. If you have never had a Cheerwine then you need to try it. Got to be in a glass bottle though. OFC

Last edited:
Most places in Cincinnati, you’re not receiving a beverage if you ask for a “coke.”

Reactions: DukeDenver
I call them soft drinks. I like them in ice cold glass bottle just on the verge of forming ice and since we are on a skylike thread I do agree with hof coach roy williams and I prefer Coke to Pepsi. A occasional R.C. Cola is good also. A special treat on a hot day is a ice cold Nehi Orange in a glass bottle. Nehi Strawberry and Peach are good also. Just a note on all Nehi's the word soda appears so I do use the word soda when drinking a Nehi. Truade Orange is good also but not found as much anymore. When I was a kid Suncrest in all the above flavors were popular but haven't seen any in years. The Mexican orange soft drinks are really good in the glass bottles. If you have never had a Cheerwine then you need to try it. Got to be in a glass bottle though. OFC

For a NO-CARBONATED drink, Tru-Ade was good. Nehi Orange and Grape and Cheerwine all top notch. Thought sure you were going to spin off into potted meat though!!!

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Born in LI and lived in NC for 16 Years now. Never ever heard someone call it pop unironically. But judging by that map, that seems to be par the course.

[QUOTE="SoCal_Dukie3, post: 11272986, member: 34010"

Is there another phrase for nanner puddin'?[/QUOTE]

Good question So Cal....

#RoyKnew

OFC

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
For a NO-CARBONATED drink, Tru-Ade was good. Nehi Orange and Grape and Cheerwine all top notch. Thought sure you were going to spin off into potted meat though!!!

OFC

No. The potted meat has ran it's course. OFC

I have ordered probably close to 1 million cans or glasses or bottles of "drink" and I always called it a drink or a coke. I can't imagine ordering a soda or a pop from the waiter or waitress and asking for a pop might get strange looks.

it's always been Pop where ever I've lived in Canada...the only time I've heard Soda used is in the Kim Mitchell song "Go For Soda"....great song by the way

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT