ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Makeshift Home Gyms

PixelDevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 16, 2016
Not even mad bro
So, about 2 weeks ago, I realized that the gyms are probably not going to open anytime soon. I set about to try and make some type of gym at my house. I had an old set of adjustable dumbbells that go up to 70 lbs. With a set of dumbbells, you can get a lot done with that and just a bench. SO I ordered one online as well as a rubber mat. I made a makeshift lat pulldown machine using an old swings in my backyard. I attached one end of a rope to the dumbbell, and the other end to an old lacrosse stick shaft. It works pretty well for that and tricep extensions. I'm honestly pretty pleased with what I've got so far, and if I can tinker a few more things, I might not need to ever go back to the gym. Might be a blessing in disguise. I'm interested to see if anyone else has made some contraptions to workout at home, or what you guys are doing to stay fit. I've included some pictures of my handiwork.

HB3lF7k.jpg
35tCYWe.jpg
YSueFiK.jpg

I've done almost similar, and a out a month before this mess hit, we bought a nordictrack elliptical. I try to wake up a little earlier in the mornings and get a few stretches and push up reps in.

I have a lot of dumbbells up to 55s. 20lb medicine ball, jump rope, pull up bar and honestly just a lot of experience working out in different formats so I can get creative.

Lots of DB swings, pull ups, burpees, push press, goblet squats, lunges, double unders, db ground to overhead, planks

I have an elliptical, punching bag, dumbbells in the basement.. also have a nice hill/mountain of a driveway I incorporate to my home gym.. my dads giving me there bow flex once I get a space ready for it! Nice setup

Reactions: PixelDevil
People have been brutal with their price gouging since gyms closed down. Seeing a lot of people selling weight for nearly 2 dollars a pound when normally brand new, it would be half that. Thankfully found a good deal on a bench and some weight to help me pass the time until things open up again.

Reactions: PixelDevil
People have been brutal with their price gouging since gyms closed down. Seeing a lot of people selling weight for nearly 2 dollars a pound when normally brand new, it would be half that. Thankfully found a good deal on a bench and some weight to help me pass the time until things open up again.
Yes! Been trying to get a barbell and some plates, but everything I’ve been finding online is ridiculous price wise.

Reactions: MyDudeG
Yes! Been trying to get a barbell and some plates, but everything I’ve been finding online is ridiculous price wise.
Good luck! With news that some areas are opening up gyms next week, prices seem to be coming back down a bit. I’ve had a lot better luck looking through Facebook marketplace and OfferUp compared to Craigslist so maybe try that if you haven’t already.

My gym is closed for now. I try to do 100 body weight squats a day. I have some dumbbells and I just do light weights a few times a week. My bike needs some work but the bike repair shop is closed.

Good luck! With news that some areas are opening up gyms next week, prices seem to be coming back down a bit. I’ve had a lot better luck looking through Facebook marketplace and OfferUp compared to Craigslist so maybe try that if you haven’t already.
So far no luck. Checked out marketplace, similar situation. I’m just gonna lee checking everyday and hope something pops up. Some people have real nerve selling a barbell for $400.

Reactions: MyDudeG
So far no luck. Checked out marketplace, similar situation. I’m just gonna lee checking everyday and hope something pops up. Some people have real nerve selling a barbell for $400.
Yeah I get supply and demand, but some of these prices are just ridiculous. Good luck continuing the search!

I'm not doing anything at home right now, but my walking. I was doing many different things during my cardiac rehab, but they shut it down many weeks ago, and I'm not sure when it's going to resume.

OFC
Whoa, that’s crazy. My stepdad had an elective surgery right before they stopped doing them, something for his shoulder, but he’s still able to go to therapy. That sucks man, I hope you’re able to resume soon. If you’re ever in Durham, you have a free lifetime membership to my gym.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
walking is a good especially for someone as old as dirt :D

Hahaha, that's very true, Pisgah!:) I'm a fast walker...I'm walking at about 5 mph (and I have walked a mile during this time in 10 minutes and 11 seconds...that's very close to 6 mph but that is a very difficult pace to keep up). Those times are faster than some people can jog (well, slow joggers).

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
Whoa, that’s crazy. My stepdad had an elective surgery right before they stopped doing them, something for his shoulder, but he’s still able to go to therapy. That sucks man, I hope you’re able to resume soon. If you’re ever in Durham, you have a free lifetime membership to my gym.

Pixel, I was lucky that I was able to get halfway through the 12 week rehab before they stopped it. And everyone associated with my rehab has told me that I'm very fit for a man my age, let alone one who is coming off a heart attack. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I can finish the other 6 weeks.
Oh, and thanks for the membership offer, I might take you up on that someday!

OFC

Hahaha, that's very true, Pisgah!:) I'm a fast walker...I'm walking at about 5 mph (and I have walked a mile during this time in 10 minutes and 11 seconds...that's very close to 6 mph but that is a very difficult pace to keep up). Those times are faster than some people can jog (well, slow joggers).

OFC

That’s getting it!

Pixel, I was lucky that I was able to get halfway through the 12 week rehab before they stopped it. And everyone associated with my rehab has told me that I'm very fit for a man my age, let alone one who is coming off a heart attack. Hopefully, it won't be too long before I can finish the other 6 weeks.
Oh, and thanks for the membership offer, I might take you up on that someday!

OFC
Good to hear you made a lot of progress. I also think you’re in great shape for a 39 year old man. Keep up the good work!

I just have an old bench set and a pipe i put the weights on to do curls and stuff. I got a pull up bar that hangs on the trim of any door In your house. (I’m sure there’s a weight limit lol) I did a pile of ab exercises at home that gets you ripped! I never had to go to the gym.... Anyway if you got the bench I think you’re set!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT