ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just met Coach K!!!

PixelDevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 16, 2016
Not even mad bro
My nephew is in a youth lacrosse league, and they hold their practices at an affluent school here in Durham. I won't say where out of respect to Coach and his family, but it happens his grandson is also on the team. And his granddaughter had a game there today, I think. Anyway, it's like the middle of practice and out of nowhere he starts walking on the field from the other side with his wife. I started freaking out, I was like "THAT'S COACH K!!!!" I think I broke out in a cold sweat and may have wee'd myself a bit. He walked over to the sideline and was just watching the practice, I wanted to talk to him so bad, but he was with his family and I didn't really want to disturb him. I ended up going over there and saying really quickly "Hey Coach, can I shake your hand?" He turned out said yeah no problem, shook my hand. I finished up by saying "I'm a huge fan, congrats on the season!" I probably had the goofiest grin the whole time. Oh my days, that was a surreal experience. Obviously I didn't ask for a picture (if he was alone I would have) but I snapped one of him so people would believe me.

P.S. He looks really good for 70. Young in the face, moves great, has a firm handshake. I think we might have him for at least a few more years.

I met him at corrupt arena here in ky a long time ago when Duke played in the NCAA tourney here. My meeting went pretty much the same as yours! I did get him to autograph my hat.......which a ended up giving to a girl I knew.....and I want it back.

I also met his wife a few years ago when I went to my only game at Cameron. I ran into her as she was pulling in the parking lot and got an autograph and picture. It was freezing cold and really windy, but she was so nice and friendly

Her autograph is in the bottom right corner!

EmJfUPa.jpg

Reactions: PixelDevil
My nephew is in a youth lacrosse league, and they hold their practices at an affluent school here in Durham. I won't say where out of respect to Coach and his family, but it happens his grandson is also on the team. And his granddaughter had a game there today, I think. Anyway, it's like the middle of practice and out of nowhere he starts walking on the field from the other side with his wife. I started freaking out, I was like "THAT'S COACH K!!!!" I think I broke out in a cold sweat and may have wee'd myself a bit. He walked over to the sideline and was just watching the practice, I wanted to talk to him so bad, but he was with his family and I didn't really want to disturb him. I ended up going over there and saying really quickly "Hey Coach, can I shake your hand?" He turned out said yeah no problem, shook my hand. I finished up by saying "I'm a huge fan, congrats on the season!" I probably had the goofiest grin the whole time. Oh my days, that was a surreal experience. Obviously I didn't ask for a picture (if he was alone I would have) but I snapped one of him so people would believe me.

P.S. He looks really good for 70. Young in the face, moves great, has a firm handshake. I think we might have him for at least a few more years.

Congrats

I would like to give props to you for not bothering the man for pictures and autographs the way most would have, classy move on your behalf.

Yep. I met Steve smith of the Carolina Panthers at Dollywood with his family back when I was probably 21 or 22. He was always my favorite and it killed me not to ask for a picture. But he talked for a moment and I gave him directions to a ride LOL

Pretty cool! Did you tell him he could solve so many disputes if he would start posting on DI.

P.S. don’t ever wash that greatness off your hand.

He actually did ask him. He told him he used to post here but people started calling him a "troll" because he was using a Elon account so nobody would figure him out...

Another thing I forgot to add, I’ve literally worn a duke hat or visor every single OTHER time at these practices or games. I just got a new non-duke visor and wore it for the first time today. What luck!

He's actually at Durham Academy pretty often. His daughter is an upper school dean and all his grandchildren go to DA as well. I've seen him at many basketball games, including the whole coaching staff by his side. Usually Nolan Smith accompanies him to games too. He has two grandsons in HS, one a senior and one a junior, and both play varsity. Whenever Duke doesn't have games he's usually there pretty often.

One time I was coming back into work about 8 years ago. I saw a guy walking ahead of me and getting into the elevator but didn't pay much attention to him. He noticed me while he was getting in the elevator and held the door open. I sped up and made it inside only to realize it was Coach K holding the door for me. Crazy.

I froze up for a moment and didn't know what to say. Luckily I was able to compose myself enough to have a brief conversation with him before we reached my floor.

I met Coach K in 1962 in Memphis, TN. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, just walking along, feeling good. I walk around the corner, a man walked up, hit me in the chest right. I fall on the ground right, and I look up and Coach K, and I say "Coach K!" And he says "whoops, I thought you was somebody else."

Went to an orthodontist conference today and K was the keynote speaker- in dc. I’m sure he gives this speech 100 times a year but it is really awesome. 45 min long, cool videos duke and USA basketball. Great stories and relatable teachings.

Fun fact, I’m not an orthodontist.

JB, how’s your sick friend at Elon doing? We’ve been worried about him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT