ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Duke Lacrosse 2017

Mark Gastineau

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 26, 2009
Thought I'd start a thread for discussion considering the season is just around the corner. Really looking forward to seeing us play in the post Jones/Class era. Will be weird seeing a first midfield line with neither running on it.

@ramlogistics, any insider updates you could share? Also, any thoughts about our chances making a run toward Memorial Day this season?

Do we have a preseason ranking at this point? Just curious.

Losing half your scoring is a challenge in any sport but I think we can overcome it. Top of the ACC is loaded, I hope we are still around in late May.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
Losing half your scoring is a challenge in any sport but I think we can overcome it. Top of the ACC is loaded, I hope we are still around in late May.
Valid points. Thankfully we have Coach Danowski in place to figure out our youth issues.

I like flying under the radar, UNC, ND, and Syracuse are known commodities and will be very good. Right now Duke isn't due to the big name mids that are now getting paid to play. I'm of the opinion that this will be a more balanced attack, similar to 2013 and 2014. The one difference is experience at the mid line. This should be an experienced and deep defensive group. Giles-Harris is just a different kind of athlete, he is going to be a star! Will be interesting to see who joins Brad Smith and Nova transfer Sean Cerrone on the first offensive mid line. Seau will be back from the hip injury that kept him out of action for the majority of last season.Will also be interesting to see who joins Guterding and Bruckner on the attack line. From all accounts Joey Manown will be a dynamic player, hopefully that comes sooner than later. Sean Lowrie (A/M) looked great in the alumni game as well. Zenker gives us a legit AA caliber defensive midfielder. Ultimately a chance to make it to Memorial Day weekend depends on how quickly the young highly touted midfielders develop and get comfortable with the speed of the collegiate game.

Check out Cam (white helmet with white face mask, in #31 for his favorite player Wolf) at Duke in December.

I like flying under the radar, UNC, ND, and Syracuse are known commodities and will be very good. Right now Duke isn't due to the big name mids that are now getting paid to play. I'm of the opinion that this will be a more balanced attack, similar to 2013 and 2014. The one difference is experience at the mid line. This should be an experienced and deep defensive group. Giles-Harris is just a different kind of athlete, he is going to be a star! Will be interesting to see who joins Brad Smith and Nova transfer Sean Cerrone on the first offensive mid line. Seau will be back from the hip injury that kept him out of action for the majority of last season.Will also be interesting to see who joins Guterding and Bruckner on the attack line. From all accounts Joey Manown will be a dynamic player, hopefully that comes sooner than later. Sean Lowrie (A/M) looked great in the alumni game as well. Zenker gives us a legit AA caliber defensive midfielder. Ultimately a chance to make it to Memorial Day weekend depends on how quickly the young highly touted midfielders develop and get comfortable with the speed of the collegiate game.

Check out Cam (white helmet with white face mask, in #31 for his favorite player Wolf) at Duke in December.

Thanks @ramlogistics! Great highlights too as usual

Where's Cam playing at now? Zach is on Leesville Middle School team aka Hilltoppers. Anyway, hope to see you out there again this year.

Where's Cam playing at now? Zach is on Leesville Middle School team aka Hilltoppers. Anyway, hope to see you out there again this year.
I didn't realize Zach was that much older than Cam. He's playing travel with YLS now, the 25/26 team for field and doing box at Bucktown.

Reactions: Dad2ze
The High Point Panthers have had their game @ Duke circled all Fall. I'll be there with a Duke shirt and HPU hat. That game will tell us a lot.

The High Point Panthers have had their game @ Duke circled all Fall. I'll be there with a Duke shirt and HPU hat. That game will tell us a lot.
High Point has built a nice program and the recent upgrades to their facilities should keep them moving forward. The early games against ranked Air Force and Richmond should tell us a lot as well. Duke should play with some additional motivation against Richmond due to last years upset.

Cam and I are heading over this afternoon to watch the team practice. Interested to see how the lines are shaping up. For those in town they are scrimmaging Ohio St, another talented ranked team, this Saturday at 11am. Unfortunately Cam has a game that day at noon so we'll be unable to attend.

Was a little surprised that Jr Mitch Russell from Ft Mill, SC was running most first line attack with Bruckner and Guterding today. Not because he isn't talented, just expected others to be ahead of him. He looked really good however so he's obviously put work in during the offseason. This team is fast and athletic of the defensive side. No Kyle Rowe, Danny Fowler, and JT Giles-Harris today. Sometimes Duke's academic schedules can conflict with practices. This team communicates very well and seem to be a good passing team, very unselfish, which is good to see. The young middies looked really good, these boys can really sling the rock! We'll most likely get to another two or three before the season starts 2/5.

Was a little surprised that Jr Mitch Russell from Ft Mill, SC was running most first line attack with Bruckner and Guterding today. Not because he isn't talented, just expected others to be ahead of him. He looked really good however so he's obviously put work in during the offseason. This team is fast and athletic of the defensive side. No Kyle Rowe, Danny Fowler, and JT Giles-Harris today. Sometimes Duke's academic schedules can conflict with practices. This team communicates very well and seem to be a good passing team, very unselfish, which is good to see. The young middies looked really good, these boys can really sling the rock! We'll most likely get to another two or three before the season starts 2/5.
Thanks for the update!

Ugh, that opener yesterday was frustrating. Can't recall a game where we hit so many posts.

Ugh, that opener yesterday was frustrating. Can't recall a game where we hit so many posts.
Yes, a lot of pipers yesterday. Can't believe an offsides penalty cost us an op to tie the game. Very promising performance from Manown who most likely earned his spot at the third attack. Our young mid lines played like it yesterday. As I mentioned preseason our year would go based on their development. AF is a very good team with tons of experience so playing them to a one goal game was good. Not sure how the Seau at SSDM experiment is going to work, he got beat several times yesterday and on least two plays that led to goals. Other than a couple of breakdowns that led to easy goals thought the defense played well. Was a little surprised Rowe wasn't more successful at the faceoff x, not participating in the fall and preseason due to nagging injuries has slowed him some. High Point on Friday night will provide another strong test, getting two wins this weekend are a must with Denver next weekend.

Yes, a lot of pipers yesterday. Can't believe an offsides penalty cost us an op to tie the game. Very promising performance from Manown who most likely earned his spot at the third attack. Our young mid lines played like it yesterday. As I mentioned preseason our year would go based on their development. AF is a very good team with tons of experience so playing them to a one goal game was good. Not sure how the Seau at SSDM experiment is going to work, he got beat several times yesterday and on least two plays that led to goals. Other than a couple of breakdowns that led to easy goals thought the defense played well. Was a little surprised Rowe wasn't more successful at the faceoff x, not participating in the fall and preseason due to nagging injuries has slowed him some. High Point on Friday night will provide another strong test, getting two wins this weekend are a must with Denver next weekend.
The offsides call at the end was devastating. We can't make mistakes like that going forward.

Was very pleased to see us bounce back with two wins last weekend. The end of the Cleveland State game was very encouraging, albeit against a young/overmatched team.

HUGE game coming up on Saturday against #1 Denver on their home turf. They've had our number the last few years. Rowe v. Baptiste at the faceoff X will dictate who wins the game in my opinion. Either way, stoked for the matchup.

@ramlogistics any insights about the game against the Pioneers? Also, do you know where I can stream this? Doesn't appear to be on WatchESPN. Thanks in advance, and I hope Cam is still kicking ass!

I have to download the schedule. I always forget the season starts this early, which is dumb because I know the championship is over Memorial Day weekend.

Damn it! We gave that game away to Syracuse. @ramlogistics I can't believe Rowe fumbled that face off in OT. Devastating.
Yeah, it was there for the taking. That play hurt but to win the faceoff battle the way we did, should have never made it to OT. Love to see how Manown is progressing but we should have ran everything through Gut from X, that was clearly the set Syracuse had trouble defending.

Hell of a win last night @UNC. Loved seeing us rebound from an early 5-goal deficit to close the game on an 11-2 run. Hope we can keep that momentum heading into our home game on Saturday against Notre Dame. Game is at 12pm EST on ESPNU for those interested in tuning in.

Hell of a win last night @UNC. Loved seeing us rebound from an early 5-goal deficit to close the game on an 11-2 run. Hope we can keep that momentum heading into our home game on Saturday against Notre Dame. Game is at 12pm EST on ESPNU for those interested in tuning in.

Always good to beat the heels. OFC

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

Cam and some of his teammates with Fowler and The Beast at the game last night (Cam is in Duke blue shorts). Once the defense settled and the young middies won their one on one battle we hit our stride. Playing make it take it always helps as well, Kyle was great from 2nd quarter on. There were some nervous moments early on and hearing that damn fight song and fans cheering drove us insane. Was great to give them the "drive home safely" chant with a few minutes remaining. This win moves Dino to 15-3 against them, complete dominance! As I mentioned preseason, this team would go as far as our young middies took us, they are starting to play at the level we need. Quigley has been fantastic and Walsh is starting to get more confident. Really would like to see Smith get it going though. With Manown's emergence at attack we have been able to move Lowrie and Russell to second line mid and given us quality depth. Really surprised with the lack or productivity from Seau though.

Last edited:
IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

Cam and some of his teammates with Fowler and The Beast at the game last night (Cam is in Duke blue shorts). Once the defense settled and the young middies won their one on one battle we hit our stride. Playing make it take it always helps as well, Kyle was great from 2nd quarter on. There were some nervous moments early on and hearing that damn fight song and fans cheering drove us insane. Was great to give them the "drive home safely" chant with a few minutes remaining. This win moves Dino to 15-3 against them, complete dominance! As I mentioned preseason, this team would go as far as our young middies took us, they are starting to play at the level we need. Quigley has been fantastic and Walsh is starting to get more confident. Really would like to see Smith get it going though. With Manown's emergence at attack we have been able to move Lowrie and Russell to second line mid and given us quality depth. Really surprised with the lack or productivity from Seau though.
Awesome stuff, Ram! Rowe turned that game for us. Was incredible to see him clown Kelly until they benched him. Brought back memories of Fowler and his dominance on Memorial Day 2013. Also tons of credit to our face off wings.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Awesome stuff, Ram! Rowe turned that game for us. Was incredible to see him clown Kelly until they benched him. Brought back memories of Fowler and his dominance on Memorial Day 2013. Also tons of credit to our face off wings.
Yeah the wings were fantastic! Rowe is so technically sound, once he gets he going he can run off 5-10 straight. The key for this team is the young mids, they keep getting more and more confident. Would still like to see Manown get more confident on his dodges, we need him to be a dodger from X.

Yeah the wings were fantastic! Rowe is so technically sound, once he gets he going he can run off 5-10 straight. The key for this team is the young mids, they keep getting more and more confident. Would still like to see Manown get more confident on his dodges, we need him to be a dodger from X.
We really miss having a middle like Myles who can create his own shot with regularity. Hopefully Smith develops into that.

Myles was a once in a generation talent. Honestly I see Quigley passing Brad, unless Brad gets out of his head and just plays. There's tons of buzz around Nakeie Montgomery, top rated Mid from TX, coming in next year. He's a different level athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT