ADVERTISEMENT

One and done rule

IPSYCHOSIS

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 22, 2016
The NBA commissioner has said he wants to lower the age from 19 to 18. Does this just benefit the NBA, and would it really impact one and dones alone that much? Like wouldn’t guys still consider turning pro after a year? Lol. I can’t rememebr how it was when guys like Lebron went pro. How the summer league impacts this. Etc. Can anybody elaborate on this?

Last edited:
Lol I’m confused man ...be gentle
Not much to be confused by. The age limit will be lowered because 1. There is zero reason for it if you’re the players association, and 2. The owners will use this as leverage to combat the current system which favors rookie and younger players over veterans because their contracts are more team friendly.

Summer league has nothing to do with it, just happens to be when the commissioner has his press conference.

Not much to be confused by. The age limit will be lowered because 1. There is zero reason for it if you’re the players association, and 2. The owners will use this as leverage to combat the current system which favors rookie and younger players over veterans because their contracts are more team friendly.

Summer league has nothing to do with it, just happens to be when the commissioner has his press conference.
How would this alone effect one and dones though?

Because the age restriction drops, meaning you don’t have to be one year removed from high school. You can declare whenever you’d like out of high school.
Lol I know that . Let me reword. Will there still be one and dones? Will it just be less? Will this rule alone change much for the NCAA? How will this impact the NCAA? I know the obvious answers and get his Priority is the NBA. lol I just want to know what’s going to change for Duke from just this. A guess

Reactions: skysdad
Lol I know that . Let me reword. Will there still be one and dones? Will it just be less? Will this rule alone change much for the NCAA? How will this impact the NCAA? I know the obvious answers and get his Priority is the NBA. lol I just want to know what’s going to change for Duke from just this.
There will still be one and dones. But it won't be like it is now.
For example- Most OAD's (Bagley for example) are known to be OAD from the time they are a junior in High School. College is just a year they have to do before they can be a pro.

The One and Done's in the future will have played themselves into that status. Tyus Jones for example.
So, yes there will still be one and dones, but they will be few and far between, and it will be guys who played themselves into that status.

Then the NBA should have just done this to begin with! Lmao. I guess the cons would be say you draft a guy like Duval In the lottery a year earlier, and miss, and lose money? It’s tougher on scouts having more places to scout? .....I hate the NBA ....greedy selfish pricks....:)

There will still be one and dones. But it won't be like it is now.
For example- Most OAD's (Bagley for example) are known to be OAD from the time they are a junior in High School. College is just a year they have to do before they can be a pro.

The One and Done's in the future will have played themselves into that status. Tyus Jones for example.
So, yes there will still be one and dones, but they will be few and far between, and it will be guys who played themselves into that status.
How will this impact our recruiting you think?

How will this impact our recruiting you think?
We will recruit just like we did during the period 1995-2005 (when a lot of guys went right from High School.) We will still land the best players attending college in the country. Some will stay for multiple years. Some will stay for 1 year (just like Maggette and Deng.)

We will recruit just like we did during the period 1995-2005 (when a lot of guys went right from High School.) We will still land the best players attending college in the country. Some will stay for multiple years. Some will stay for 1 year (just like Maggette and Deng.)
See I can’t remeber much. Isn’t it more of a challenge to recruit not knowing who’s going pro until they announce it or declare or whatever . Like wouldn’t you have to wait to offer scholarships:. Guess I just answered my own question .... never mind

I was going to ask if they declare and don’t get drafted what happens .....head injury and memory has me all messed up. My questions are dumb.

Last edited:
The sooner they commit to the draft the better as to recruiting. If coaches know the top players are going the better for them to recruit the best of the ones not declaring. I know this is reaching a little far but maybe permitting them to declare and hire an agent right before their senior year. Maybe even better is for them to play AAU ball their senior year and they can showcase their talents. More high school players will be given the opportunity to play college basketball and will get to see them develop over at least 3 years. Do the same thing as baseball. I honestly think college coaches would prefer this. Even Cal. Over a few years it would settle down and even some of the top recruits may opt for the 3 year minimum option. The NBA is using college basketball as a farm system costing universities a lot of money and saving the NBA a lot of money by having these players delayed becoming millionaires by at least a year. Call me crazy but that's my wish. OFC

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
The sooner they commit to the draft the better as to recruiting. If coaches know the top players are going the better for them to recruit the best of the ones not declaring. I know this is reaching a little far but maybe permitting them to declare and hire an agent right before their senior year. Maybe even better is for them to play AAU ball their senior year and they can showcase their talents. More high school players will be given the opportunity to play college basketball and will get to see them develop over at least 3 years. Do the same thing as baseball. I honestly think college coaches would prefer this. Even Cal. Over a few years it would settle down and even some of the top recruits may opt for the 3 year minimum option. The NBA is using college basketball as a farm system costing universities a lot of money and saving the NBA a lot of money by having these players delayed becoming millionaires by at least a year. Call me crazy but that's my wish. OFC
Sounds like good ideas to me. Whatever happens will primarily benefit the NBA though :(

Reactions: skysdad
This makes me confused as to why (The NBA) even change it to 19 and then back to 18 .....I know the obvious stuff, but I’m lost lmao. As greeedy as they are ...what are they benefiting from going back to 18? Gotta be something!!! Probably a dumb question.

Last edited:
This makes me confused as to why (The NBA) even change it to 19 and then back to 18 .....I know the obvious stuff but I’m lost lmao. As greeedy as they are ...what are they benefiting ? Probably a dumb question.
They changed it to 19 because they were tired of having talented 18 year olds come into their league and still act like kids. For all the Kobe’s, Garnett’s, and Lebron’s...there are Sebastian Telfair’s, Kwame Browns, etc.

There is a great story about Kwame Brown going #1 to the Wizards. 2 months after living on his own, a veteran teammate came over and noticed he had 4 feet of clothes stacked on top of each other....Kwame Brown didn’t know how to do laundry.

I believe they are changing it back to 18 due to public pressure. The players association pushing for these athletes to get paid as early as possible....after all, the NBA is a PLAYERS league.

They changed it to 19 because they were tired of having talented 18 year olds come into their league and still act like kids. For all the Kobe’s, Garnett’s, and Lebron’s...there are Sebastian Telfair’s, Kwame Browns, etc.

There is a great story about Kwame Brown going #1 to the Wizards. 2 months after living in his apartment, a veteran teammate came over and noticed he had 4 feet of clothes stacked on top of each other....Kwame Brown didn’t know how to do laundry.

I believe they are changing it back to 18 due to public pressure. The players association pushing for these athletes to get paid as early as possible....after all, the NBA is a PLAYERS league.
Yea I knew why they changed it to 19 . Exactly what you said and money. It benefits them... But back to 18 again is kinda what confuses me....could be public pressure . I can’t think of an benefit lol

My wish would be you can go straight from high school to the nba, or after 3 years of college .. no inbetween... Every high school senior is eligible for the draft, and if you don’t get drafted welcome to college! It benefits the players in getting a degree before being drafted, or not again if they don’t make it, while working on their game also . It benifits the NBA money wise, maturity, and developing those players for when they do get drafted. It benifits colleges having players for 3 years....It benifits 18 year olds being adults lol. You could give them the option of skipping college to play overseas or the D league or something. Give them the freedom to make their decision but have to Iive with it ..it’s fair!!! They take a chance and skip college after going undrafted and go to the D league or overseas , or get a degree and come to college for free under a scholarship for 3 years ,and then take the chance! Just get rid of the dang age limit. To me it’s fair and benefits all. Either your good enough or you’re not, but here’s your degree while trying to improve, or cheers to the D league . Lol I know the complications with even something similar to that and the fairness. Couple tweaks obviously ...it’s a fairy tale..... There’s cons ...like what happens when a players ready after 1 year ?? Guess you should have went overseas! Or D league! Lol ...I don’t think there’s any perfect fix to please everyone...NBAs In the drivers seat. I guess just changing the age to 18 is better then nothing for the NCAA.

Last edited:
The NBA changing the age to 18 definitely won’t completely eliminate one and done but it will decrease the number of one and domes. The only way that I see one and done being completely eliminated will be if they change it to 18 and if you go to college then you have to stay a minimum of 2-3 years. The way I’ve always looked at it, if players have to stay in college at least 3 years then they would still be able to get their degree without having to be in college for 4 years. I doubt we’ll ever see that happen though, at best they might change it to straight out of high school and/or two and done if players choose to go to college.

The NBA changing the age to 18 definitely won’t completely eliminate one and done but it will decrease the number of one and domes. The only way that I see one and done being completely eliminated will be if they change it to 18 and if you go to college then you have to stay a minimum of 2-3 years. The way I’ve always looked at it, if players have to stay in college at least 3 years then they would still be able to get their degree without having to be in college for 4 years. I doubt we’ll ever see that happen though, at best they might change it to straight out of high school and/or two and done if players choose to go to college.
Similar to my wish lol

Similar to my wish lol
I think it’s probably going to be at least a couple more years before they change the age to 18. I read somewhere that the first clas that could be eligible to go to the NBA straight out of high school could be either the 2020 class or the 2021 class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT