ADVERTISEMENT

**OFFICIAL 2018 NBA DRAFT Thread**

Looks like Duval didn’t get drafted.. I’m sure he will get picked up by a team though and play in the G-League next year and make his way to the NBA like Quinn did.

I just wonder if there was anyone in Duval’s ear to tell him he needed to return?

Yeah Duval made a big mistake coming out this year. Just wasn’t ready, best of luck to him in the G league or overseas. It would of been nice to see him come back one more year and improve.

Reactions: Dominator4321
It is possible that when they got late in the draft, his agent requested that teams not select him.

Kind of like the NFL, once you realize you are going to be a long shot based on your draft status, it is not uncommon to prefer to be a FA so that you can best position yourself by signing with a team that fits your style.

It is possible that when they got late in the draft, his agent requested that teams not select him.

Kind of like the NFL, once you realize you are going to be a long shot based on your draft status, it is not uncommon to prefer to be a FA so that you can best position yourself by signing with a team that fits your style.
That kind of makes sense because I’ve heard people say that it can be better to go undrafted than to get drafted in the second round because like you said it allows players to try to sign with any team that they want to as a free agent.

Congrats to Marvin, Wendell and Grayson on going in the first round. I was really hoping the Wolves would go Grayson....oh well.

I still like Trent’s game for the NBA. He’s a really good shooter with the physical attributes to be a defender in the League.

I do feel bad for Trevon. It had to be a disappointing night for him. His problem is not just that he’s a below-average shooter....he’s a really poor shooter.

Duval made a mistake going to Duke where he was recruited over, then compounded it by entering the draft instead of transferring.

IMO, hindsight is 20/20 in saying “anyone could see Duval wouldn’t be drafted.” In the past 5 seasons you can find quite a few point guards who cannot shoot, and were still drafted. Whether we think he’s a good basketball player or not, there’s precedent for a player like him in the league.

It’s just a shame, this is one reason why most college coaches tell their OAD candidates when they come in to at least unpack your bags, because nothing is guaranteed. He’d better get to a shooting coach and quick, because if he wasn’t drafted in a PG’s draft, the odds of him pulling a Quinn with a broken shot are slim.

Duval wasn't a one and done... he would have benefited from playing 2 more years in college even if that wasn't at Duke. Wish him the best..he showed us glimpses of what he could be and hopefully he will continue to work on his craft and be able to fulfill his dream!

Would really love to know what type of feedback he got to make him stay in the draft..hopefully he got a call last night from some team offering a spot on their summer league roster.

IMO, hindsight is 20/20 in saying “anyone could see Duval wouldn’t be drafted.” In the past 5 seasons you can find quite a few point guards who cannot shoot, and were still drafted. Whether we think he’s a good basketball player or not, there’s precedent for a player like him in the league.

It’s just a shame, this is one reason why most college coaches tell their OAD candidates when they come in to at least unpack your bags, because nothing is guaranteed. He’d better get to a shooting coach and quick, because if he wasn’t drafted in a PG’s draft, the odds of him pulling a Quinn with a broken shot are slim.

I think his vision hurt him the most, with his shooting being a result of his vision. That's a huge unknown for a team, and even for a lot of their doctors. You can usually repair a joint, it's a little harder to repair an eye. I feel bad for the kid.

Unless a family member is ill, I will never feel bad for a kid who declares way too early for the draft and doesn’t get selected. I think it’s laughable. He made his bed. Duval had no business being in the draft this year.

Last edited:
Just wondering if Mikel Bridges mom still has a job today with the Sixers. I know that was tough. They were so excited to see him get drafted by their home team only to be traded to Phoenix. Ouch....

I.... don't feel bad for Duval. I'm happy for these kids if they succeed but for them Duke is pretty much a stepping stone to the draft and they all come just thinking, I'll serve my time and be drafted top 15. So I'm glad when these kids do well, but I'm not so invested that I'm hurt when they fail, especially when Duke is mostly just a means to an end.

Reactions: pisgah101

But the thing is people on this board said he wouldn’t be drafted. He had some real bad info or hated duke. Someone called him William Avery 2.0 but at least Avery got that money

I still think Duval showed enough promise this season someone will give him a shot. There were 3-4 of those come from behind wins he put the team on his back. And there were small streaks or a few games he shot really well. He has a place in the league.

Reactions: DukeJim99
But the thing is people on this board said he wouldn’t be drafted. He had some real bad info or hated duke. Someone called him William Avery 2.0 but at least Avery got that money
I think Sgrooms was right too that maybe his vision problems hurt him. I also think he was really affected in the style of play he had to fit in while here at Duke.
I would like to think that had he not been bottled up, so to speak, he would have been more impressive looking. We only saw glimpses of his ability to attack.

Wendell, Grayson, and Gary are all in great spots. Even though Gary went 2nd round, Portland is great for him, outside of their 2 stud guards, they have nobody, Gary and Grayson should play immediately on playoff teams.

I'll never be a fan of any of our guys going to Sacramento, but Marvin really wanted to be a top 2 pick, he got his wish.

Really sucks for Trevon not being drafted, it's true though that agents will tell teams not to pick his guy late in the 2nd round, keeps more options open. And for those bashing Trevon's time at Duke or his decision, go away.

Last edited:
Unless a family member is ill, I will never feel bad for a kid who declares way too early for the draft and doesn’t get selected. I think it’s laughabke. He made his bed. Duval had no business being in the draft this year.
I'm always going to feel bad for a 19 year-old who makes a poor, potentially life-altering decision.

I'm always going to feel bad for a 19 year-old who makes a poor, potentially life-altering decision.

Exactly. I don't agree with his decision. I'm sure I wouldn't agree with a lot of decisions people on this board have made in life. That doesn't mean I won't feel sorry for you if something bad happened as a result of those decisions. In general, I root for people to succeed in life. Especially when they played at Duke.

Reactions: MyDudeG
Duval will be on an NBA roster. There really isn’t a big drop off in the second round and undrafted.

Duval will play in the summer league and hopefully he makes an impression. I still like his upside in the league.

Reactions: sheyduke
Exactly. I don't agree with his decision. I'm sure I wouldn't agree with a lot of decisions people on this board have made in life. That doesn't mean I won't feel sorry for you if something bad happened as a result of those decisions. In general, I root for people to succeed in life. Especially when they played at Duke.
This. Even if ignoring the fact that Duval gave it his all for the program, never complained about his role once, and truly cared about winning; how could you not feel bad in the slightest about a 19 year old that’s been waiting his whole life for this moment only for it to not work out? Regardless if you agree with his decision or not to declare, he was still a great addition to the program and we should be supporting him.

Reactions: sgrooms
Shouldn't be an issue there,his biggest contributions will be on the defensive end.

Yeah, I was more referring to his work ethic and off-court issues. They were hinting at them before the pick last night. If not for those issues, he was a top 10 pick. I think he was suspended from Texas A&M for a couple games at one point. I do think the Celtics will be a great fit for him. Hopefully they can keep him focused.

I don’t feel sorry for Duval at all. You didn’t play well at Duke. Trolled twitter teams for losing. You left early . Hell you didn’t even play in the NBA combine game. You made your bed lie in it . Doesn’t stop me for rooting for him at all I will say. My disappointment of him continues. Allen and Mitchel on tv was awesome . Carters suit? haha. Bagley at 2 haha Kentucky . Trent will surprise . 2019!!

Reactions: pisgah101
Yeah, I was more referring to his work ethic and off-court issues. They were hinting at them before the pick last night. If not for those issues, he was a top 10 pick. I think he was suspended from Texas A&M for a couple games at one point. I do think the Celtics will be a great fit for him. Hopefully they can keep him focused.
I knew he was supposed to be a lottery pick but wasn't aware why he fell so low,so i hope he has or will address his off court issues,if he can he's a great addition

Reactions: sgrooms
Congrats to Marvin, Wendell and Grayson on going in the first round. I was really hoping the Wolves would go Grayson....oh well.

I still like Trent’s game for the NBA. He’s a really good shooter with the physical attributes to be a defender in the League.

I do feel bad for Trevon. It had to be a disappointing night for him. His problem is not just that he’s a below-average shooter....he’s a really poor shooter.

That's tough. Hope he can play somewhere and within a couple of years we see he's been signed into the league in a Quinn Cook way. OFC

I feel bad for Duval but he's an athlete with length and quickness. If he keeps working hard I really think he'll end up playing at least a few years in the league, hopefully a decade or more. He's a tough kid, I wish him the best.

I meant to post this yesterday but I forgot... I went to fivethirtyeight and they had a breakdown of top prospects for the draft. They did a blend of their computer model and pundits and it looked about like you'd expect. But they also showed you just their computer model and with just the computer model, Gary Trent was their tenth best prospect. They did note that a quality player on a stacked team will often look better on their computer model as they're not the focus of the defense and often have better offensive efficiency as a result. But I still thought that was interesting. I really could see Gary developing into an NBA starter some day if he's in the right system. Fingers crossed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT