ADVERTISEMENT

Not so good Kansas news

The old adage that hazing is just part of team building is just an excuse for bullying,some of this stuff goes way overboard and should be outlawed

Your Canadian and I imagine were never part of a group like a fraternity or athletic team. Do you really believe that these girls hadn’t heard of this hazing initiation before or after joining but prior to occurring? I’ve actually gone through hazing initiation and I knew what I was getting into before I stepped into the fraternity I pledged for Rush week.

Not saying that it’s right but I’d be willing to bet that those girls knew something like what happened was going to occur. If I had to guess, when the girl took her blindfold off and realized that there were alumni male cheerleaders that saw them naked, they decided to rat on their team.

99% of folks are able to get through hazing and initiations whether it be at fraternities, the military, or sports teams. The 1% that end up having a problem with the initiation or usually with members after for a totally separate issue start crying about this stuff despite knowing what they were getting into. Ive got no sympathy.

Your Canadian and I imagine were never part of a group like a fraternity or athletic team. Do you really believe that these girls hadn’t heard of this hazing initiation before or after joining but prior to occurring? I’ve actually gone through hazing initiation and I knew what I was getting into before I stepped into the fraternity I pledged for Rush week.

Not saying that it’s right but I’d be willing to bet that those girls knew something like what happened was going to occur. If I had to guess, when the girl took her blindfold off and realized that there were alumni male cheerleaders that saw them naked, they decided to rat on their team.

99% of folks are able to get through hazing and initiations whether it be at fraternities, the military, or sports teams. The 1% that end up having a problem with the initiation or usually with members after for a totally separate issue start crying about this stuff despite knowing what they were getting into. Ive got no sympathy.
Because I'm Canadian I was never part of an Athletic team?? where's that coming from?Iplayed many sports for decades and yes there were some initiation rites,but if you think blindfolding 18 year old girls and stripping them naked is ok,they you and I are real far apart on whats ok and whats not

Because I'm Canadian I was never part of an Athletic team?? where's that coming from?Iplayed many sports for decades and yes there were some initiation rites,but if you think blindfolding 18 year old girls and stripping them naked is ok,they you and I are real far apart on whats ok and whats not

Here’s my point. I imagine that whatever “initiation rites” that you ended up going through, did you not know that it was going to occur before it happened? No one older than you on the team told you what was coming? Also, once you went through it, I’m sure that you refused to be apart of the initiations for the people that came after you since you despise hazing Right?? Or did you put the guys after you through the same thing or something worse that happened to you?

That was kind of uncalled for

I call on everyone to click ‘ignore’ anytime someone posts something you find extremely short sighted or thoughtless. Trying to convince a hardliner that their black and white stance is stupid will only get them more fired up and entrenched. Sharing one’s opinion is fine; muting opinions you find useless is priceless.

Reactions: dukefan0492
I call on everyone to click ‘ignore’ anytime someone posts something you find extremely short sighted or thoughtless. Trying to convince a hardliner that their black and white stance is stupid will only get them more fired up and entrenched. Sharing one’s opinion is fine; muting opinions you find useless is priceless.

Sweet. Ill make sure and do that.

This sucks I’ve been through hazing but sometimes it goes border line bullying.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3

Not sure where to start on this one... with the idea that Canadians don’t play sports despite the fact that we have the best Canadian basketball player in the world literally coming to Duke next year and every single Canadian plays hockey, the idea that this is just some girls who aren’t tough enough crying like pussies and you have no sympathy despite this clearly being ridiculous to become a cheerleader, or the very first word of that disaster of a post being “your” instead of “you’re”, which actually served a useful purpose: showing about how much brainpower went into that post in the first place.

Last edited:
I feel for these girls. Esp with male cheerleaders seeing them naked. That’s just not right. But these are grown adults. At any point during this hazing event, they could’ve stood up and left. I don’t understand the mentality of allowing yourself to be a victim, sitting through an entire ordeal, and then days later say how traumatic it was. If they were somehow held against their will then that’s a different story but it doesn’t sound like they were. At least this didn’t involve binge drinking or some sort of event where someone could be killed. Is it right? No. Is it an event that’ll eat away at these girls forever and the offenders should be publicly shamed till the end of time via social media? No. Punish the program accordingly and let’s move on.

Reactions: lkc1234
Personally, I have always thought the concept of hazing was moronic. As far as this event goes, or any team based hazing, even more so. A team is nobody's private little club. A spot on a team should be fairly decided by the coach and by whatever other legitimate standards apply (unless you play at UNC, which has no legitimate standards).

Personally, I have always thought the concept of hazing was moronic. As far as this event goes, or any team based hazing, even more so. A team is nobody's private little club. A spot on a team should be fairly decided by the coach and by whatever other legitimate standards apply (unless you play at UNC, which has no legitimate standards).

Hazing has only been involved into turning millions of kids into the best military in the world, as well as turning new friends into brothers on the fraternity side of things. If you haven’t been through it, then no, you would never understand it. When you look at the number of Presidents, Senators, and CEOs at major companies, and then ask how 5% of a student body (guys in fraternities) end up helping to produce a much larger percentage of top executives and politicians.

Is it just happen stance that a large percentage of the most powerful and richest men today went through the Greek system which includes hazing.

Hazing has only been involved into turning millions of kids into the best military in the world, as well as turning new friends into brothers on the fraternity side of things. If you haven’t been through it, then no, you would never understand it. When you look at the number of Presidents, Senators, and CEOs at major companies, and then ask how 5% of a student body (guys in fraternities) end up helping to produce a much larger percentage of top executives and politicians.

Is it just happen stance that a large percentage of the most powerful and richest men today went through the Greek system which includes hazing.

The military breaks a kid’s spirit and then builds them back up because he or she has to kill someone in battle without thinking about the moral consequences of it.

I was in a fraternity in college and part of the Greek system. Taking joy in deliberately humiliating and shaming someone for personal reasons is pathetic at best and usually goes against all the morals the fraternity stands for.

The military breaks a kid’s spirit and then builds them back up because he or she has to kill someone in battle without thinking about the moral consequences of it.

I was in a fraternity in college and part of the Greek system. Taking joy in deliberately humiliating and shaming someone for personal reasons is pathetic at best and usually goes against all the morals the fraternity stands for.

So I’m assuming as soon as the fraternity hazing started, you left the fraternity immediately because it’s so pathetic right? Or did you go through it and then haze pledges that came after you. Exactly why do you think fraternities hazes a pledge? How about breaking down individual pledges and then using the process to rebuild the entire group of individual pledges into a pledge class.

I was in a frat, and yes we hazed but we did it to tear people down and build them up, test their metal, and develop trust. I wouldn't say it was "for fun". Was I young with much to learn? Yep, but it did help teach me some quality things.

Reactions: bmbritt
Canadians have some of the best hockey players and basketball players.

As far as hazing it happens but the military hazing is way different then that of a frat pledge

So I’m assuming as soon as the fraternity hazing started, you left the fraternity immediately because it’s so pathetic right? Or did you go through it and then haze pledges that came after you. Exactly why do you think fraternities hazes a pledge? How about breaking down individual pledges and then using the process to rebuild the entire group of individual pledges into a pledge class.

You assume wrong. I never hazed a pledge, because it was an unnecessary part of the fraternity. Just because someone treats you like crap for nine months or so doesn’t mean your entitled to treat the next guy like crap.

Not everyone in a fraternity participates in hazing. The guys who hazed me the hardest I had the least amount respect for.

I treated pledges with respect because that how I wanted to be treated.

You mold your pledge class with respect and brotherly love not mental and physical aggression.

The liability and risk associated with hazing far outweight any benefit that hazing may or may not have. One bad hazing incident could close your whole chapter and close the whole Greek system on your campus.

You assume wrong. I never hazed a pledge, because it was an unnecessary part of the fraternity. Just because someone treats you like crap for nine months or so doesn’t mean your entitled to treat the next guy like crap.

Not everyone in a fraternity participates in hazing. The guys who hazed me the hardest I had the least amount respect for.

I treated pledges with respect because that how I wanted to be treated.

You mold your pledge class with respect and brotherly love not mental and physical aggression.

The liability and risk associated with hazing far outweight any benefit that hazing may or may not have. One bad hazing incident could close your whole chapter and close the whole Greek system on your campus.

And to bring it back to around to the original story about KU, I am sure there were members of the KU team that were like you. Folks that had been through the hazing initiation and gave these two girls a heads up way before this initiation took place, and let them know who and what to watch out for regarding the initiation.

These girls knew what was coming but got embarrassed about being naked in front of alumni male cheerleaders, and at the first sign of adversity that had nothing to do with this initiation, they used this dirt to settle scores. Why I have no sympathy for them.

You really want us to believe it's hazing and not all the other processes of our military academies that make ours the best military. Come on , of it were simply the hazing then Mozambique could copy out system and beat us in a war next year. And while lots of big timers go through the Greek system, it's not the hazing that makes them successful...that'd be the connections made and the intelligence and other skills they had.

You really want us to believe it's hazing and not all the other processes of our military academies that make ours the best military. Come on , of it were simply the hazing then Mozambique could copy out system and beat us in a war next year. And while lots of big timers go through the Greek system, it's not the hazing that makes them successful...that'd be the connections made and the intelligence and other skills they had.

Mozambique has a somewhat different philosophy on life and culture so that means nothing.

Some have seen benefits of pledging and "hazing", but I sense the whole disconnect here are the different definitions of the word hazing itself. I can speak n = 1 here and say that my fraternity "hazing" process was, for the most part, positively impactful on our lives. Of course there were childish or stupid activities, but they lessened after negative responses and outcomes were shown.

Reactions: bmbritt
Please excuse me, I do not post often, but when I see some stupid hazing incident by cheerleaders compared to my beloved military I must comment. If you have not served your country do not make this comparison. Believe me there is no comparison in the two.

OFC

Please excuse me, I do not post often, but when I see some stupid hazing incident by cheerleaders compared to my beloved military I must comment. If you have not served your country do not make this comparison. Believe me there is no comparison in the two.

OFC
Don't take anything in this thread seriously. It went to hell early on, which seems to be happening more and more these days. And thank you for your service.
OFC

Reactions: Showenuff
I don't feel like what the military does is "hazing" in the way I would define the term.

What fraternities and the like have traditionally done definitely falls into that category, and it is undeniably unnecessary. It is just an excuse for people to let loose the absolute worst parts of themselves, the sadist within who revels in the power they feel embarrassing another individual and making them suffer. It is so appealing to them because they get to unleash this part of them that (hopefully) rarely sees the light of day and feel justified because it is supposed to be some mandated part of "joining the club." They get to remove the guilt and shame from actions that are unquestionably shameful.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
I don't feel like what the military does is "hazing" in the way I would define the term.

What fraternities and the like have traditionally done definitely falls into that category, and it is undeniably unnecessary. It is just an excuse for people to let loose the absolute worst parts of themselves, the sadist within who revels in the power they feel embarrassing another individual and making them suffer. It is so appealing to them because they get to unleash this part of them that (hopefully) rarely sees the light of day and feel justified because it is supposed to be some mandated part of "joining the club." They get to remove the guilt and shame from actions that are unquestionably shameful.

Interesting you say that - my specific frat years had a program built by 2 former Marine infantry that did their service and went back to school. Now to be crystal clear, in no way as I saying collegiate pledging has the same benefit for country as our beloved service men and women, but not all pledging programs are built by "sadists" and some actually benefit the kids going through the process. I will agree that many, if not most, Greek org's have pledging systems set up for the wrong reason, and it continues to be a problem.

Last edited:

OFC

And unless you’ve gone through pledging and hazing at a fraternity then you’ve got no more cred regarding it, as I do about the military since I didn’t serve.

Interesting you say that - my specific frat years had a program built by 2 former Marine infantry that did their service and went back to school. Now to be crystal clear, in no way as I saying collegiate pledging has the same benefit for country as our beloved service men and women, but not all pledging programs are built by "sadists" and some actually benefit the kids going through the process. I will agree that many, if not most, Greek org's have pledging systems set up for the wrong reason, and it continues to be a problem.

The majority of the biggest and best fraternities all used aspects of building individuals, classes, and brotherhood from the military.

Sounds very much like you're saying it's right.

Reactions: sgrooms
Yeah, I'd say hazing is more like slavery.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TheDude1
I really don't think this is going to effect the basketball team. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT