ADVERTISEMENT

Not Again!

It's things like this why K told the players no more NC pro - am which I loved them playing in.

He's gotta be ripping his hair out.

And before people say something... yes I realize that it is June and we still have 4 months to the season, but it's still worth noting

And before people say something... yes I realize that it is June and we still have 4 months to the season, but it's still worth noting

Of course, but let's wait to find out what type of injury it is first. We also have the Summer Exhibition as well.

Well this is the time to push training and find out where there are injuries likely. If your foot or whatever is weak now, it will be weak later unless you change things up or get it repaired. If our starters are injury risks, we can adjust the gameplan now. We have the bodies at forward; not worried a bit there. We can't stand to lose a single guard though. Praying for a healthy run.

If he needs a new foot, I'll give him mine. I cant run very fast anyway, and probably wouldn't if I could. He will look funny wearing a size 15 on one foot and a 10.5 on the other!!

He needs to buy into a roll. Pick and roll...also a screen offense. If he does that and rebounds like he can. That is the player we need. God's grace he will stay healthy. If so he will be fine.

I'm starting to fear that what we have is 7 feet 245 pounds of no talent

I was going to post same thing...previous tweets before this where that he has been pretty underwhelming...

The tryout was also a track meet. That's not Marques' game. I'm more and more convinced that his best days at Duke this season will be with Wendell and Javin starting, and him coming off the bench during clock management stretches.

Since he was recruited, his knock has been that he can't run the floor well. He was always dominant in the half court though. Duke is going to run, but with Duval at the point, they will have the ability to slow things down, which is a luxury that wasn't afforded last year while they were making things up on the fly. Before we write him off, let's have some faith that K can figure out his best uses.

He needs to buy into a roll. Pick and roll...also a screen offense. If he does that and rebounds like he can. That is the player we need. God's grace he will stay healthy. If so he will be fine.

Marques has never been praised for his rebounding prowess. Even in high school. That's just not been a strength of his.

Talent is only talent if there is also confidence. He needs more of a chance. Without more setbacks.

He's going to get a chance. He had chances last year too. We're not in kindergarten anymore. In the real world you fight and earn your chances. He had 12 defensive rebounds in 157 minutes of game action last year. That's atrocious for a kid almost seven feet tall with a wingspan that's five to inches more than his height. The talent is there....the drive needs to be there too, because at this level everyone is really talented.

Reactions: tw3301
I get the injury may have changed a few things but even before that it sounds like Bolden was being the Bolden we saw during his Freshman year. He better figure it out or it will be more of the same. The guy plays with no energy or passion, that equals bench time at Duke

Marques has never been praised for his rebounding prowess. Even in high school. That's just not been a strength of his.

He's going to get a chance. He had chances last year too. We're not in kindergarten anymore. In the real world you fight and earn your chances. He had 12 defensive rebounds in 157 minutes of game action last year. That's atrocious for a kid almost seven feet tall with a wingspan that's five to inches more than his height. The talent is there....the drive needs to be there too, because at this level everyone is really talented.

The only part I disagree with is that he was never a good rebounder. Coming out of high school that was one of his strengths, which makes the 12 in 157 mins even more eye catching. His issue is clearly a motor thing and until he figures that part out, he's going to have some tough times.

I don't see it this way yet...but maybe he's just one of those kids who just doesn't love what he does and this may be the highest level of basketball he achieves. Maybe not. I'm banking on him producing but a falter can't be ruled out. The best thing we can do is support him and the squad and hope he makes the transition.

The only part I disagree with is that he was never a good rebounder. Coming out of high school that was one of his strengths, which makes the 12 in 157 mins even more eye catching. His issue is clearly a motor thing and until he figures that part out, he's going to have some tough times.

I don't see it this way yet...but maybe he's just one of those kids who just doesn't love what he does and this may be the highest level of basketball he achieves. Maybe not. I'm banking on him producing but a falter can't be ruled out. The best thing we can do is support him and the squad and hope he makes the transition.
Yes sir Duke needs him to be a grizzly bear, not a teddy bear

Just look at him compared to the other bigs on the roster

Javin- much more athletic and with a ton more energy than Bolden, but less skilled in the paint.

Carter- just overall better than Bolden and can shoot the ball too, but projects more as 4 than a 5 although most assume he will spend time at the 5

Vrank- more technically sound and focused than Bolden but not as mobile.

Bolden meets the eye test for physical standards but it's the intangibles that are questionable.

I think it's mental with Bolden. His performance in the Miami comeback win showed me a lot. Being consistent will be his challenge. Let's remember, not every BIG comes in ready from Day 1. It takes awhile for some. His potential is there. I have more respect for him since he was willing to come back for his sophomore year when everyone pretty much thought he was gone.

But I can already see he's going to turn into this season's Matt Jones by some fans.

But I can already see he's going to turn into this season's Matt Jones by some fans.

I too would like to see him succeed and haven't given up that he will.

However, criticizing Bolden and Matt Jones are two very different things. One actually contributed a great deal last year (and previous years).

Reactions: dbav
Bolden is a huge x-factor for the coming season. On paper, the question is depth even with most of us assuming that Bolden will significantly improve upon his performance from last season. If we want to be considered a serious contender, we need him to perform closer to his class ranking.

Depth is a concern this year bc it's dependent on the unknowns and development of a lot of players
Vrank
Javin
Jack
Bolden
Alex
Jordan T
Jordan W

If 4 of those guys can develop enough to give positive minutes, Duke will be very good

Last year was a year where I saw us run the least in all my 26 years of watching .....we simply couldn't execute in transition ...at all...that will change this year bolden better be ready or like someone else said he'll be coming off the bench.

He showed flashes last year of being dominant especially rebounding on the offensive end ...imo this team coming in fits him perfectly ..he should flourish! If not he's in trouble..imo he doesn't have to score on this team but he defiantly needs to be a Tristian Thompson to start and get good minutes ..no excuses.get healthy and get in shape and he should have 0 problems

Reactions: Adamandchangin
I haven't given up but honestly I've never expected much since the first couple minutes I've seen him in action in a Duke uni.

I just see much, I hope I'm wrong but I see him starting the first few games but come ACC season he will be down to 10 minutes or less and our lineup will be smaller again.

I think it's mental with Bolden. His performance in the Miami comeback win showed me a lot. Being consistent will be his challenge. Let's remember, not every BIG comes in ready from Day 1. It takes awhile for some. His potential is there. I have more respect for him since he was willing to come back for his sophomore year when everyone pretty much thought he was gone.

Agree with most of what you said Q. I think it is "mental" as well, and lets face it he had a fairly short leash last year. He did show a lot of grit in that Miami game, and I won't call him "this year's Matt Jones" until he gets Matt Jones type minutes....OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I wouldn't call it mental if it's being said in the off season and by other beat writers.

It may not be confidence it could be work ethnic. He's simply gonna have to grow a pair if he wants to play.

This isn't high school where your the tallest kid on the court. I'm sure some things were brought to his attention by the staff prior to him deciding to return to Duke for next season.

I think he may break the mold of high transfers. If he does not preform this year the best place for him is in this system. He will learn atleast two skills to get him to the next level in his junior or senior season. That is if he does not preform well this year. I think top 20 is his limit. The switch all defense does not serve him well. Help defense in a zone does.

The Miami game was cute and all....but big picture? It was one really productive game in a season filled with opportunities. We can't pretend it's because he didn't have chances. Now, did injuries maybe play a part? Sure.

I think he's going to be fine next season and a big contributor for us, but I'm not sure I see first-round potential in his game. His measureables are off the charts. His game? A lot to prove.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT