ADVERTISEMENT

NBA summer league

I thought at the end of the game the best play would be running the pick and roll with Marvin and Grayson. They rarely did that- they then tried at the end of the KU game....only issue is, it probably should have been with Duval and Bagley at that point bc of how good Duval was playing. Ironic, bc it would have taken the ball from the senior with the experience to the wild card freshmen. That happened another time- in 98 vs UK the ball was in the hands of Avery at the end, over the senior Wojo. It didn’t work out, but it was the right call.

That Grayson-Bagley PNR worked beautifully against Texas in the PK80 though. In the tournament game, Duval couldn't be stopped on the PNR against Kansas

That Grayson-Bagley PNR worked beautifully against Texas in the PK80 though. In the tournament game, Duval couldn't be stopped on the PNR against Kansas
Right they used it here and there but to me it was the strategy I’d go to in the end of games all season- they didn’t for whatever reason. And yes on the Duval point against KU, but i get the decision.

I thought at the end of the game the best play would be running the pick and roll with Marvin and Grayson. They rarely did that- they then tried at the end of the KU game....only issue is, it probably should have been with Duval and Bagley at that point bc of how good Duval was playing. Ironic, bc it would have taken the ball from the senior with the experience to the wild card freshmen. That happened another time- in 98 vs UK the ball was in the hands of Avery at the end, over the senior Wojo. It didn’t work out, but it was the right call.

Hand to God, THIS. I've been a critic of Allen, and Luke before him, but it wasn't really either one's fault. They were used incorrectly.
Really, either one of Allen or Duval, with either of Carter or Bagley as the picker/roller, would have worked. Opposing teams wouldn't have known what was coming. It would have been waves of attackers at the rim. With Trent and AOC looking for open shots, as well as Allen when TD was initiating. The opponent would have been in serious foul trouble with 4-5 minutes remaining, at which point it would have been a layup line for the bigs to close it out.

Raptors Malcolm Miller took a nasty spill Monday night,dislocated his shoulder,tore tendons too.if you could see the video of his team mates when he got up and was walking towards them with his shoulder and back all out of proportion.They looked like most did when Kevin Ware broke his leg

Hindsight is 20/20. It's a lot easier making decisions from your recliner after the fact. We have some outstanding armchair coaches, don't we.
That's the thing about sports that amazes me, we have the G.O.A.T and yet he still gets criticized. We all make mistakes, but we need to let it go.
That includes myself as well.

Hindsight is 20/20. It's a lot easier making decisions from your recliner after the fact. We have some outstanding armchair coaches, don't we.
That's the thing about sports that amazes me, we have the G.O.A.T and yet he still gets criticized. We all make mistakes, but we need to let it go.
That includes myself as well.

When you have never coached anything before and don’t understand the pressure then I get your point about armchair coaching. But when you’ve coached and had to make decisions you can say what you would’ve done. Coaches critique other coaches all the time. Whether it’s a division 3 coach or division 1

When you have never coached anything before and don’t understand the pressure then I get your point about armchair coaching. But when you’ve coached and had to make decisions you can say what you would’ve done. Coaches critique other coaches all the time. Whether it’s a division 3 coach or division 1
I coached high school and middle school football and basketball for 26 years and played in college as well. It must be the younger generation of coaches who feel this way. I don't critique other coaches publicly or behind a keyboard, to each his own.

Also, looking forward to the Champions Classic. Already have my rooms booked from November 5-7. Hopefully the Pacers host a team that has one or multiple of our Blue Devils on the 5th. Go Duke.

I just wish K would read this dang board, just a quick breeze through and we'd win the ship for sure ! #coachesgalore
To be fair it’s fine to question or criticize the Xs and Os with the understanding that A. Everything is in hindsight which we all know is perfect and B. It’s done respectfully. I said throughout the year that i wanted Grayson with the ball in his hands running the P&R with Bagley at the end of the game. I felt it would be unstoppable. It worked well early and for some reason we kind of stopped going to it on a regular basis. Against KU, i certainly get putting the ball in Grayson’s hands at the end. I probably would have done the same thing. Hindsight, you maybe put the ball in Duvals hands because of the game he was having. Either way it doesn’t matter- it’s over now. Grayson nearly made an impossible shot.

As far as the summer league goes- our guys had a really nice night yesterday. Check out the pinned NBA thread, Q does a great job of updating it regularly.

I just saw a post on Facebook about several of our players from recent years playing in the Summer League and I didn’t realize that Matt Jones is playing for the Kings along with Giles and Bagley in the Summer League until I saw that post.

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Not good if you are a UNC legend and Michael Jordan and the Hornets cut you loose. Marcus Paige headed to Serbia.

That reminds me. Anyone know where ole JP herringbone is playing these days??

I coached high school and middle school football and basketball for 26 years and played in college as well. It must be the younger generation of coaches who feel this way. I don't critique other coaches publicly or behind a keyboard, to each his own.

Maybe, but I'm a young coach who doesn't feel the need to do such things. Armchair quarterbacks and coaches do get on my nerves though, lol. And let's be real, compared to Coach K we're all armchair coaches. He may not make all the right decisions, but I guarantee he makes better moves on the chessboard of basketball than ANY of us can LMAO.

Reactions: dukesince91
That reminds me. Anyone know where ole JP herringbone is playing these days??
Ole JD doesn't show up on any rosters that I see. He did make about 2 million before taxes 2 years ago, so he's got to be close to broke by now. My guess is he'll get a nice contract with the NBPL soon enough. P is for penal.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Ole JD doesn't show up on any rosters that I see. He did make about 2 million before taxes 2 years ago, so he's got to be close to broke by now. My guess is he'll get a nice contract with the NBPL soon enough. P is for penal.
Haha.....solid DD

Brice Johnson also got let go by the Hornets before Summer League even started. Roy cannot develop talent into NBA players any better than one can keep Sean May, Kennedy Meeks, and Raymond Felton away from the buffet line

Reactions: QC Dukie

Quite possible he is staying in Ol Roy rental, hustling Fats Thomas rentals.

My guess at some point he may end on the intramural team at some penal institution.

shoneys.jpg
He’s at work.

Ah, okay. I have no idea as to Mr. Hairston's current where-abouts.

Sirr_Peeg announced the end of his basketball career yesterday. Per WRALSportsFan.com. I Don’t know
how to link it.

Not to worry Peeg has that great UNC education to fall back on.

ADVERTISEMENT