ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Playoffs Thread

I think I heard the announcers the other night during the Warriors/Rockets game say that the Warriors chart their passes, and they want at least 300? In their 2 losses, they didn't reach the goal.
Good ball movement is a huge key in shooting. Did the lack of that hurt Duke?

I suppose its debatable. I didnt see the ball movement I have in other Duke teams, but I attributed it to the two bigs on court most of the time in Carter and Bagley. "Bags" as awesome as he was on offense seldom kicked the ball back out, as opposed to Jah in '15 for instance. Jah was an excellent "card dealer" or relocator of the ball from down low.

OFC

I sure hope Houston can put away GS tonight. I’d like to see this be a decent series. I’m starting to have my doubts of a decent series in the East.

The Celtics have been pitiful on the road during the playoffs. I wouldn’t count out LBJ and the Cavs out just yet.

I sure hope Houston can put away GS tonight. I’d like to see this be a decent series. I’m starting to have my doubts of a decent series in the East.

No way. GS is an unbeatable superteam. Houston can't get a W against them. We should tear up the league and start over to make it fair.

Reactions: Canadian Dukie
No way. GS is an unbeatable superteam. Houston can't get a W against them. We should tear up the league and start over to make it fair.

Obviously, GSW can and will lose some games. But tonight, the second best team in the league (despite their league leading record) had to play like maniacs to win. And the GSW had to have a relative off shooting night to lose.
Think about that. The opposing team had to play out of their skulls, and the GSW had to have a bad game, on the road, to lose.
That won't happen 4 times in a 7 game series.

Reactions: jwill133
I think I heard the announcers the other night during the Warriors/Rockets game say that the Warriors chart their passes, and they want at least 300? In their 2 losses, they didn't reach the goal.

Lack of people movement can be blamed on the bigs, who had a tendency to become stationary. But TD was a 30ish percent shooter when left completely open, so ball movement to him didn't help.
Beyond that, Trent and Allen missed plenty of fairly open shots. Teams gambled on letting our shooters shoot while choosing instead to clog the paint. And it worked.

Obviously, GSW can and will lose some games. But tonight, the second best team in the league (despite their league leading record) had to play like maniacs to win. And the GSW had to have a relative off shooting night to lose.
Think about that. The opposing team had to play out of their skulls, and the GSW had to have a bad game, on the road, to lose.
That won't happen 4 times in a 7 game series.

You make it sound like this game was close. Houston blew their doors off. And I don't think 51% from the floor and 38% from 3 is "out of their skulls." They outrebounded them, but not by a huge margin and only by one on the offensive glass. Turnovers were close.

I do think GS is the better team and will win the series, probably in 6. Their A game beats Houston's A game. But the teams aren't as far apart as your characterization makes it sound. Houston's A game beats GS's B game.

Reactions: sgrooms
You make it sound like this game was close. Houston blew their doors off. And I don't think 51% from the floor and 38% from 3 is "out of their skulls." They outrebounded them, but not by a huge margin and only by one on the offensive glass. Turnovers were close.

I do think GS is the better team and will win the series, probably in 6. Their A game beats Houston's A game. But the teams aren't as far apart as your characterization makes it sound. Houston's A game beats GS's B game.

Exactly. Obviously there's separation from GSW to Houston. But some act like it's this gaping valley of separation, the likes of which have never been seen.

Houston won't sniff a win at GSW, and will be lucky to win one more at home.
That is a series.
It may not have been a close game last night. But Houston had to play a good game, while GSW had to play a bad game, for Houston to win. If GSW plays above average, they win.

I think this fanbase conveniently ignores Defense except after a loss.
Houston played pretty well, by their standards, on offense last night. A good, but not great, game.
They played Defense and rebounded as well as they have all year. They maniacally chased the GSW players, loose balls, and rebounds. They can not, and will not, replicate that effort 3 more times.

Houston played pretty well, by their standards, on offense last night. A good, but not great, game.
They played Defense and rebounded as well as they have all year. They maniacally chased the GSW players, loose balls, and rebounds. They can not, and will not, replicate that effort 3 more times.
Plus Chris Paul looks like he may be hobbled the rest of the series. Hamstring injuries linger forever. If he isn't 100%, this series is over. It was already over though once GS won game 1.

I'd absolutely love to be wrong though and if Houston wins the series, I will GLADLY eat crow.

Last edited:

Houston was top 5 in defensive efficiency this year. Just think how good they could have been if they actually tried...

Again, I think GS wins in 6, but you make it sound like this is a series between easily the greatest team of all time and a G-League team. The gap between them is not as big as you think.

Houston was top 5 in defensive efficiency this year. Just think how good they could have been if they actually tried...

Again, I think GS wins in 6, but you make it sound like this is a series between easily the greatest team of all time and a G-League team. The gap between them is not as big as you think.

No, I'm doing no such thing. I am pointing out that one team is noticeably better than the other team. Both teams played well in game 1, and GSW won handily. In game 2, GSW had off shooting nights in the first half from Curry and Klay, which lead to a loss.
If both teams play average or better, GSW will win. GSW can play at a lower level, relative to GSW's ceiling, compared to Houston and still win.
GSW has to help the other team win. If GSW's players shoot to their averages, they win. They are just a noticeably better team when everyone is healthy relative to the rest of the league.

I just think Golden State has more room for error. IMO, Houston will get one more game, but I'm sticking with my original prediction of the Warriors in six.

Yeah, I still think Golden St is the better team. But they don't have to have their shoes tied together to lose either.

The gap isn't astronomical, but it is significant IMO. GSW is clearly the better team. Curry does not have it going right, and if he continues his tepid play Houston has a shot though. I am definitely pulling for Houston.

Today, Kerr is saying that Curry's injury has hampered him. If he isn't 100 (or nearly so) %, that changes things. Then they are very beatable.

It really comes down to how will Steph play. If he finds his shot, it's over, if not Houston has a very real chance.

Here's an article (from Deadspin) that I thought was hilarious. It's about Chinese nicknames for NBA players. Warning...there is foul language involved (mostly about Steph Curry)...but the nicknames have me looking at some players in a different perspective. Oh yeah, Steph Skyfu**er (the explanation for that is a doozy!)...don't think I'll ever get that one out of my mind! Some good ones for KI too!

https://deadspin.com/sprout-god-porcelain-mamba-and-six-step-lebron-the-s-1825949113

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Looking like Cleveland has gotten themselves back into the series tonight.
I don’t think so, i think it was predictable they won last night. I originally was like you and said cle in 6 but at this point I’m so far the other way. Boston in 5-6. They’re just a better team.

I think whoever wins game 4 will win the series. I'm cautiously optimistic that's Boston.

Boston terrible on the road....8-0 at home....this one's going 7....hard to believe how much home court means in the NBA .....for all sports actually

I did not get my Tatum jersey nor Kyrie shoes signed, but I did take a picture with Doris Burke and Terry Rozier’s mom last night.

I think the Cavs win the next three. They made some great adjustments last night, not switching the Horford PNR’s made a massive difference. Took Horford completely out the game, and forced guys like Rozier and Morris to beat them. (Not happening on the road, may be a different story at home)

I’m willing to bet anything Cavs win game 4 pretty easily, game 5 will be the big one. These young Celtics seem to play on a different level when at home, but we will see. I think Brad Stevens has already used up all of his little cute coaching tricks (not switching Lebron PNRs, etc). Or as a Cavs fan, at least I hope Stevens is out of tricks. Because if so, this ones over, too much Lebron.

I did not get my Tatum jersey nor Kyrie shoes signed, but I did take a picture with Doris Burke and Terry Rozier’s mom last night.
I will be at game 4, however I will be sporting a JR Smith jersey.

I will be silently rooting for Tatum though so no one around me notices.

Last edited:
Reactions: bullcity gamer
I think the Cavs win the next three. They made some great adjustments last night, not switching the Horford PNR’s made a massive difference. Took Horford completely out the game, and forced guys like Rozier and Morris to beat them. (Not happening on the road, may be a different story at home)

I’m willing to bet anything Cavs win game 4 pretty easily, game 5 will be the big one. These young Celtics seem to play on a different level when at home, but we will see. I think Brad Stevens has already used up all of his little cute coaching tricks (not switching Lebron PNRs, etc). Or as a Cavs fan, at least I hope Stevens is out of tricks. Because if so, this ones over, too much Lebron.
love those cute coaching tricks j-will!!:)

Reactions: jwill133
It might not hurt if Harden would attempt to play some defense. It's great that he scores 40, but put a little effort in on the other side of the ball.

From ESPN after last night's game:

"The Warriors were 7-of-11 from the field with Harden as the primary defender, and it included a combined 6-of-7 by Curry and Durant, who supplied 25 points. Golden State shot 8-of-14 (6-of-10 contested) against Harden. Of the eight field goals that the Warriors made against Harden, five were layups or dunks."

When the Warriors are really going, no one is close to them.

There hasn’t been a single, decent game yet in the conference finals. Kind of disappointing.

Someone posted that people saying the NBA plays no defense bugs them....well with blowouts the norm in the finals...hard to make an argument that there is any emphasis on playing defense.
I used to look forward to the NBA finals - the Bulls, Lakers, Celtics and even Detroit etc....intensity on both ends and real tension in close games - now its just an awful pick up game. To each their own I guess.

There hasn’t been a single, decent game yet in the conference finals. Kind of disappointing.

i thought cleveland/boston game 2 was trending that way until they blew their lead and fell flat the 2nd half...imo

The only reason I watch the nba playoffs is to get my basketball "fix." If it's not Harden trying to look like a Harlem Globetrotter standing there dribbling, or Steph Curry constantly taking that stupid mouth piece and letting it dangle from his mouth like he's being cool, then it's Draymond Green and JR Smith acting like thugs. Green should have been ejected the first game against Houston.
And the constant whining over EVERY foul.

I cannot wait until college basketball starts.

The NBA playoffs are the greatest.

These conference finals have been “turrrrrible” though.

Game 4 tonight in Cleveland should be great, and I’m predicting Game 5 will be the game of the playoffs.

For those complaining about the style of the play of the modern game, sorry that this isn’t the 1980’s. These guys are too valuable and worth way too much money, the style of play allows for a 15-20 year healthy career. Can’t have guys acting like it’s the WWE. I do wish though that the NBA allowed SLIGHTLY more hand-checking. Curry would not be doing this in 1985, Lebron and KD would though.

At least we are getting to see a healthy playoffs, I’m aware of Hayward and Kyrie, but that happened before the playoffs. Normally there is a major injury in May that changes everything, not this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT