ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft 2018

Just to prepare folks, we are about to get really, really mad. Our guys are going to test off the charts at the combine, and likely perform very well in scrimages.
So we are about to self immolate with a poop ton of what-if posts about the last year.
Allen and Duval have already begun excelling in the athletic testing portion. Carter is apparently in even better shape, and is moving better, and shooting 3s better, than during the season.
Point being, last year was disappointing. Our guys have a bunch of pro potential and are probably about to show out for the pros.
We are angry about how last year went, and our guys performance at the combine is going exacerbate that.
Instead of sniping at each other, let us just be happy for our guys without getting mad about last year and getting into pointless arguments about who did what, didn't do what, and how various players were used.
Next play.

Reactions: Devenzio21
Just to prepare folks, we are about to get really, really mad. Our guys are going to test off the charts at the combine, and likely perform very well in scrimages.
So we are about to self immolate with a poop ton of what-if posts about the last year.
Allen and Duval have already begun excelling in the athletic testing portion. Carter is apparently in even better shape, and is moving better, and shooting 3s better, than during the season.
Point being, last year was disappointing. Our guys have a bunch of pro potential and are probably about to show out for the pros.
We are angry about how last year went, and our guys performance at the combine is going exacerbate that.
Instead of sniping at each other, let us just be happy for our guys without getting mad about last year and getting into pointless arguments about who did what, didn't do what, and how various players were used.
Next play.
You're right. Duval will definitely test great at the combine.

I believe everyone made the right decision to leave, except maybe Duval.

I think he could have dominated college next year and became a lottery pick. Now I just hope he gets picked in the 1st round.

I think he could have dominated college next year and became a lottery pick. Now I just hope he gets picked in the 1st round.

TD might end up as one of the lucky ones. He might get drafted in the second round and blossom into a future high level starter and hit FA before the first round guys do. There are a couple of teams that have multiple picks, and are very talent deficient, that will take a chance on a guy like TD. I think that chance will pay off.

Actually, Morris starts alongside Horford, with Banes off the bench. Banes played more vs Philly, and their own 7-1 center. Morris is listed at 6-9, but appears shorter than the 6-8 ish LBJ.

Actually, no. Morris started 21 games this season and his only starts in the playoffs are against the Cavs for lineup specific reasons. Baynes started 67 games this season, almost all of them alongside Horford.

All fair, but I’m not worried about an 18 year old athletic freak figuring out how to at least be an average defender. Yeah he wasn’t great on defense this season, but that’s because he had always been able to dominate on his athleticism.
He has the length and the lateral quickness, just needs to put it all together and figure out first how to play positional defense. He can’t continue to get caught out of position, but again, he has ALL the physical attributes to be a lock down defender.

Luke Kennard and Grayson Allen don’t have the physical attributes to ever be plus defenders, just not enough length or quickness. But they can survive based on sheer mental toughness and knowing where to be on the court.
Bagley has the attributes, he just needs to become a smarter defender, which professional repetitions in practice should help. Just a year ago he was dunking on 16 year old High-school kids, that clearly didn't help him at all. He also held his own in the Drew-League, defensively and offensively.

Whoever he gets drafted by (mainly who that teams coach is) will play a major role in his development on the defensive end, he definitely needs a good coach.
Finally!! Bags was asked to play in a 4-1 (2-3) zone and stay out of foul trouble! The defense liability card people throw at him is just lazy. He has some possible legit liabilities but playing defense isn’t 1 of them imo

Why would we get mad Patrick? We all know they’re an extremely athletic bunch haha

It's tricky tho re: Duval. He certainly would have fit in better next season with only one big patrolling the paint. But, Tre Jones didn't sign up to come off the bench or share the spotlight, even tho K could have sold the 2 PG line up, but then what do you do with Reddish, Barrett, Williamson and Bolden? Maybe if we didn't land Zion, Duval prolly comes back. So with that situation, I don't blame him for leaving though I do agree he could have dominated next season.

It's tricky tho re: Duval. He certainly would have fit in better next season with only one big patrolling the paint. But, Tre Jones didn't sign up to come off the bench or share the spotlight, even tho K could have sold the 2 PG line up, but then what do you do with Reddish, Barrett, Williamson and Bolden? Maybe if we didn't land Zion, Duval prolly comes back. So with that situation, I don't blame him for leaving though I do agree he could have dominated next season.
All fair points. But we’re talking about Duval’s future career here, and possibly hundreds of millions of dollars. If I’m Trevon, I really don’t care about what recruits K is bringing in, if I think I’m good enough to come back and dominate, I’d come back and dominate. I wouldn’t worry about Tre or Cam or RJ.
Maybe Trevon wasn’t the type of guy who should have been handed the keys immediately? Maybe he needed to compete and beat out another elite prospect for a starting spot?

It’s a good debate, and your right, 2nd rounders now make good money, but still nothing like lottery pick guaranteed money.

All fair points. But we’re talking about Duval’s future career here, and possibly hundreds of millions of dollars. If I’m Trevon, I really don’t care about what recruits K is bringing in, if I think I’m good enough to come back and dominate, I’d come back and dominate. I wouldn’t worry about Tre or Cam or RJ.
Maybe Trevon wasn’t the type of guy who should have been handed the keys immediately? Maybe he needed to compete and beat out another elite prospect for a starting spot?

It’s a good debate, and your right, 2nd rounders now make good money, but still nothing like lottery pick guaranteed money.

But you also have to worry about injury too. Trevon is going to flourish in the NBA and will find a home if he can develop a decent jumper. He has the tools. I'd rather go now than risk injury. Sure Duke would benefit from an experienced PG, but Duval has been OAD before he signed with Duke, even though I agree he could increase his productivity next season.

Tre’s game is better suited for the league and I think scouts recognize that. I’d actually be very surprised if he slipped out of the first round. And even better for him, he should end up on a contending team who needs a backup point guard.

A pick and roll style team would do him wonders. Just looking at the bottom of the draft, Atlanta, Chicago or Philly could use him for sure. So could Brooklyn, but I wouldn’t wish that franchise on a Heel.

The college game and Duke system doesn't fit Duval. He's a PNR point guard. Coach K doesn't run a PNR system. Duval isn't a shooter. This last year hurt his stock because he couldn't really show his true skills as a playmaker

I thought duke’s bigs only set screens.

Mostly on the baseline to get the wings open. Coach K likes to feature wings and stretch 4. He rather point guards like Tyus. Smart guys that can get the team in the right play, get the ball to other guys and make the occasional 3. Trevon is a PNR player. He's more of a penetrate and dish type. The offense wasn't tailored to him. Kind of like Donovan Mitchell has taken off. The college game doesn't fit everyone

How valuable are some of those picks? Late first round, and second round, picks aren't that valuable. Given how talented the Sixers are, they'll need to move some of those picks, so the market might not be that high.
First and secound round. Look at the teams that only have one pic or none in the first round. And the centers you mentioned especially KAT disappear in the inside and tend to fade to the perimeter or the foul line. Embiid is not a traditional center he doesn’t stay exclusively in the paint. Either does Rudy and Whiteside is an up and down traditional Big who simply looks very lost at times. Horford and the back up center for the Celtics barely play strictly in the paint and both can be consider hybrids they both shoot the three.

The more I watch Doncic, the more concerned about his game I get. The defense played in Euroball is horrible. And he's a subpar defender for that level. Which is what it is.
But he's supposed to be this top tier offensive player (who shoots a "blistering" 38% from three). I get that he finds his teammates and makes those around him better.
But he's the ideal candidate to be guarded by opposing 3 and D wings. The opposing wing can really focus on D and stopping Doncic, while on the offensive side the opposing guard will have relatively open looks. And every team has 2-3 of these 3 and D types on its active roster.
I think Doncic will be good, but I'm really beginning to question his true upside.

The question about Doncic is really only his athletic ability. I’ve only watched tape but the confidence in himself jumps off the screen. It did for Milicic and Hezonia too.

The big difference is those guys relied more on their athletic ability and scoring. Doncic being pass first with a great feel will help.

Will he keep his confidence if he can’t create any separation though?

I have a lot of questions about Bagley. Bad defense and IQ on that end...is he a good stats bad team guy in the nba?...will he learn the best offensive option isn’t always him?

At the same time...it wouldn’t shock me if he becomes the best player in this draft.

I see Doncic as a Tony Parker type talent. I think he’ll be more valuable than Ayton and Bagley in a few years. Much of the perception of these guys will be based on how good the rest of their team is. Time will tell.

The more I watch Doncic, the more concerned about his game I get. The defense played in Euroball is horrible. And he's a subpar defender for that level. Which is what it is.
But he's supposed to be this top tier offensive player (who shoots a "blistering" 38% from three). I get that he finds his teammates and makes those around him better.
But he's the ideal candidate to be guarded by opposing 3 and D wings. The opposing wing can really focus on D and stopping Doncic, while on the offensive side the opposing guard will have relatively open looks. And every team has 2-3 of these 3 and D types on its active roster.
I think Doncic will be good, but I'm really beginning to question his true upside.

I agree with you Yates I have never been a big Doncic fan. Besides having elite passing skill nothing really stands out.

He is a below average NBA athlete. Average three point shooter, poor defender, slow footed, doesn’t have great length.

I would take Bagley over him as well as Ayton and a few others.

Reactions: Dukeprodigy22
Bagley is the best talent in this draft. Two or 3 teams will pass on him and will regret their decision just like Tatum being the best in his class.. I believe sometimes franchises overthink it to much and miss big... Bagley is the perfect fit for this style of NBA.

Reactions: DukeDenver
My rankings to revisit 5 years from now:
1. Doncic
2. Bagley
3. Porter
4. Carter
5. Bamba
6. Trae Young
7. Ayton
8. Shai GA
9. Mikal
10. Trent
11. Shamet
12. Jerome Robinson

Happy Grayson is going to Utah even though I wanted him in Boston. Utah is a young and upcoming team with a good coach. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: DukeDenver
Grayson will be GREAT!!!!

Agree. Love the teams that Grayson, Gary and Wendell went to, as I think they will be great fits there. Glad MB3 got the honor of going 2nd but the Kings are the biggest dumpster fire in the NBA. Feel bad for Duval, but if he would’ve listened to anyone, he would’ve known not getting drafted was a possibility. Hopefully, he can land on his feet at a team that he really fits in at.

Agree. Love the teams that Grayson, Gary and Wendell went to, as I think they will be great fits there. Glad MB3 got the honor of going 2nd but the Kings are the biggest dumpster fire in the NBA. Feel bad for Duval, but if he would’ve listened to anyone, he would’ve known not getting drafted was a possibility. Hopefully, he can land on his feet at a team that he really fits in at.

The thing is, after the combine, Duval not getting drafted appeared on no one’s radar. Obviously there are no guarantees. Hell, Bagley could’ve been not drafted. The league doesn’t have to draft anyone at all. But a 6’2 point guard with a 6’10 wingspan who tested near the top in all the athletics measurables, and supposedly was a good student at DUKE university, should’ve been taken in this draft. Poor jump shooter or not.

So there’s either something wrong there, or the league just values shooting at the guard position that much. And we can try to start to pick a part all of his weaknesses, but the fact remains he’s an athletic freak at the point guard position and based on basketball skill alone, he should’ve been picked up.

So this becomes a cautionary tale, especially if he doesn’t get picked up as a free agent. Hopefully the family doesn’t start bashing K and the staff.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT