ADVERTISEMENT

My encounter with the ultimate Duke fan today. A must read for every Duke fan on this board.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I've know who this man is for many, many years but never had the pleasure of meeting him until today. His name is Dr. Charles Kernodle. I was eating lunch and he passed by my booth on his way to pay his check. He had on a duke cap and as he went by I said "great looking cap sir." He looked at me and smiled and said"Coach K gave this to me. I know him personally. " He then introduced himself to me and I to him. He said he talks to Coach K on a regular basis. He said he has been a season ticket holder for over 60 years. He told me he was 100 years old which I did know of that. He was moving well and no doubt his mind was still sharp. He said Coach K is one heck of a man and a friend. Imagine what teams and who this man has seen play through the years. We are talking around 1958 when he started going to Duke basketball games and no doubt he supports Duke football also. In fact he was one of the teams physicians at one time if I recall correctly. He is one of the most well known and respected citizens of my home town. Even at age 100 he is still one of Walter Williams High School football team physicians. I did get to put my hand on his cap that Coach K gave to him and I felt winner come through it. I only wish I could have set down and just talked about Duke for the rest of the day. What stories he could have told me. OFC

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

I imagine he’s probably a WW2 veteran as well. I’m sure between the war era and 60+ years of Duke, anyone could spend a week talking to him and not run out of things to say.

Reactions: skysdad
Wow he looks incredible for 100 :eek: looks like he's in his 70s maybe. So Sky how's it feel to now be the 2nd oldest Duke fan :D

Reactions: Dad2ze and skysdad
I once sat beside him at Duke basketball game back in the late 80's or early 90's. Can't remember which game but very much enjoyed conversing with him during game. Seems that he had a family member that was also a prominent physician in a town near where I grew up.

Reactions: skysdad
Cool story, skysdad. One of Dr. Kernodle's sons is a personal friend of my uncle. I've never had the chance to meet him, but all stories about him that I've heard make him sound like a special, special man.

I don't want to rain on your parade or thread, but this is a really good article about him that was published last fall around his 100th birthday. It's a great read.

http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/20171028/friends-family-honor-dr-charles-kernodle-as-he-turns-100

Thanks DJ for finding this story. The article mentions Sam Story the long time football coach at Williams High School. Sam was once an assistant football coach at Duke under Red Wilson. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT