ADVERTISEMENT

Movie Thread

politicsasusual21

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 23, 2005
With most of us taking precaution during the apocalypse, I figured a good movie discussion would be pertinent. Movies can be wonderful when done right. Unfortunately, with all of this original content coming from so many different platforms it is starting to follow the path of music, in that there is more terrible content to sift through than ever. Even with all the cinematic history of this country, I look at the movies on Netflix and can barely recognize some them...and too often find myself in paralysis by analysis when selecting a title. I watched that new Mark Wahlberg film on Netflix which was #1 for the week and it was awful....and he is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. Not a very good actor, but entertaining to say the least.

I love a good drama or thriller. Somewhat recent movies I enjoyed were Sicario, Hell or High Water, Ex Machina. All movies that are wonderfully shot with great actors. I watched Polanski's the Pianist last night and I thought it was very good...albeit quite sad. What types of movies do you guys enjoy? Any suggestions from Netflix/prime?

I like faith based movies. Just went last night and watched “I Still Believe.” True story about the singer Jeremy Camp. Great movie.
Another good movie, which is based on a true story, is “Upside” with Kevin Hart.

Thanks! I'm a huge movie fan / cinema buff. I love Sicario and Hell or High Water (all of Taylor Sheridan's films have been great, imo). Wind River should be available somewhere.

I'm the same way with Wahlberg, lol. But thanks for the note on his Netflix movie. I've had my eye on that.

I thought there were great films this year. Parasite, as filmmaking goes, was impeccable (it's on Prime for rent). Riveting. It is a dark story and different culturally, though so some may not enjoy it. It doesn't have that Americana element that Sheridan does. But, still an amazing film.

1917, JoJo Rabbit, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood were all very good as well, imo. Don't know if you like Tarantino but OUATH is really good. It helps if you know the Charles Manson story (I actually knew several who saw that film and only had a vague idea about Manson and actually didn't make the connection - which meant they could not have "gotten" the real point). They are all out for Rent. Knives Out (mystery/comedy) and The Irishmen were also solid films - depends on one's taste, of course.

Even Ford V Ferrari and Joker were good but different. Joker is also Dark. F v F was not as good as I anticipated. But, worth seeing sometime.

Wasn't as impressed with films from last year. But Three Bilboards and Darkest Hour were pretty solid from the prior year.

I like faith based movies. Just went last night and watched “I Still Believe.” True story about the singer Jeremy Camp. Great movie.
Another good movie, which is based on a true story, is “Upside” with Kevin Hart.
Hoping to take the wife to see that

YouTube Free has Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Tremors is on Netflix, I think. Two movies that never fail to make me laugh. I wouldn't classify them as masterpieces, but they are fun! :)

Movies I can watch over and over:
Saving Private Ryan
Tombstone
Dawn of the Dead
Land Before Time (don’t judge me)
Band of Brothers (technically a series, not a movie)
Die Hard (best Christmas movie ever)
World War Z
Armageddon
Young Guns 1 & 2

My taste pretty much boils down to WW2, zombies/apocalypse, westerns, and nostalgic movies from my childhood.

If you don’t mind subtitles, some of the best WW2 movies are foreign films from Germany, The Netherlands, Denmark, and Russia.

If you havent seen Battle: Los Angeles, check it out. Very underrated and very fun alien invasion movie. Really liked Edge of Tomorrow as well.

Always love the original Clash of the Titans and Jurassic Park. Those are the movies that got me hooked on movies.

Another fun movie that is sort of scifi is Ninja Assassin.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Tommy boy
For love of the game
Tin cup
Hachi (best dog movie EVER)
Shawshank
John wick
A dogs life

About anything with Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis, Edward Norton JR, Matt Damon, or John Cusack......and Will Smith

I want to see it!

YouTube Free has Killer Klowns from Outer Space and Tremors is on Netflix, I think. Two movies that never fail to make me laugh. I wouldn't classify them as masterpieces, but they are fun! :)
I remember reading somewhere awhile back that they are supposedly going to be making a sequel to Killer Klowns from Outer Space sometime.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Thanks! I'm a huge movie fan / cinema buff. I love Sicario and Hell or High Water (all of Taylor Sheridan's films have been great, imo). Wind River should be available somewhere.

I'm the same way with Wahlberg, lol. But thanks for the note on his Netflix movie. I've had my eye on that.

I thought there were great films this year. Parasite, as filmmaking goes, was impeccable (it's on Prime for rent). Riveting. It is a dark story and different culturally, though so some may not enjoy it. It doesn't have that Americana element that Sheridan does. But, still an amazing film.

1917, JoJo Rabbit, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood were all very good as well, imo. Don't know if you like Tarantino but OUATH is really good. It helps if you know the Charles Manson story (I actually knew several who saw that film and only had a vague idea about Manson and actually didn't make the connection - which meant they could not have "gotten" the real point). They are all out for Rent. Knives Out (mystery/comedy) and The Irishmen were also solid films - depends on one's taste, of course.

Even Ford V Ferrari and Joker were good but different. Joker is also Dark. F v F was not as good as I anticipated. But, worth seeing sometime.

Wasn't as impressed with films from last year. But Three Bilboards and Darkest Hour were pretty solid from the prior year.
I did see wind river. It wasnt as good to me as it was a little slow. The locations were beautiful though. 1917 and Once Upon A Time look awesome but havent made it to those yet. Mainly because I normally watch from the couch. Knives out is probably near the top of the queue for me. I did see the Irishman, and it was good but kinda will never equal goodfellas. I did love 3 billboards. That cast was fantastic. Darkest hour seems interesting as I love period pieces.

You seem to know a lot and our tastes seem similar. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Reactions: youngman42
Movies I can watch over and over:
Saving Private Ryan
Tombstone
Dawn of the Dead
Land Before Time (don’t judge me)
Band of Brothers (technically a series, not a movie)
Die Hard (best Christmas movie ever)
World War Z
Armageddon
Young Guns 1 & 2

My taste pretty much boils down to WW2, zombies/apocalypse, westerns, and nostalgic movies from my childhood.

If you don’t mind subtitles, some of the best WW2 movies are foreign films from Germany, The Netherlands, Denmark, and Russia.
I do not mind subtitles so if you have any recs on those foreign films let me know. Love Ww2 films and also a big Saving Private Ryan fan as my grandfather fought in in it.. Makes me cry almost every time. The last scene just kills me.

You've got a lot of guilty pleasure on this list. Do enjoy young guns as I love the old west.

PS....Kiss my ass.

I love horror movies. Have you seen “Dont Breathe”? Not really horror, more along the lines of silence of the lambs. I think one of the best movies I’ve ever seen.
I have not, thanks for the recommendation. Will definitely be watching if the country shuts down? Did you see hereditary? Curious to hear your thoughts, most everyone I know thinks it’s the second coming of Cole Anthony, but I didn’t think it was all that.

Reactions: DukefanKY
I did see wind river. It wasnt as good to me as it was a little slow. The locations were beautiful though. 1917 and Once Upon A Time look awesome but havent made it to those yet. Mainly because I normally watch from the couch. Knives out is probably near the top of the queue for me. I did see the Irishman, and it was good but kinda will never equal goodfellas. I did love 3 billboards. That cast was fantastic. Darkest hour seems interesting as I love period pieces.

You seem to know a lot and our tastes seem similar. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

1917 is awesome. Saw it in theaters. Incredibly fast paced. After 2 hours you'll feel like you've only been there for 45 minutes.

I have not, thanks for the recommendation. Will definitely be watching if the country shuts down? Did you see hereditary? Curious to hear your thoughts, most everyone I know thinks it’s the second coming of Cole Anthony, but I didn’t think it was all that.

I think you LOVE Don’t Breathe. Hereditary was highly disappointing

I do not mind subtitles so if you have any recs on those foreign films let me know. Love Ww2 films and also a big Saving Private Ryan fan as my grandfather fought in in it.. Makes me cry almost every time. The last scene just kills me.

You've got a lot of guilty pleasure on this list. Do enjoy young guns as I love the old west.

PS....Kiss my ass.
Young Guns was my favorite til Saving Private Ryan. The ending of Young Guns is amazing!

Billy the Kid: Hey Peppin, I see you got Charlie Crawford down there with you.

Peppin: Yeah.

Kid: [goes to the window and shoots Crawford]

Kid: Hey Peppin! Charlie Crawford’s not with you anymore. [Kid laughs hysterically]

I’ll take a look at my Netflix and Amazon playlists and post the foreign film list in a little bit.

If you've never seen Searchong for Bobby Fischer, you should check it out. It's not actually about Fischer, but how a parent handles an extreme talent that their child has and that they dont understand how to nurture. It's pretty great. One of Lawrence Fishburne's best performances.

Figured it would be appropriate for a sports board.

Reactions: df64
If you've never seen Searchong for Bobby Fischer, you should check it out. It's not actually about Fischer, but how a parent handles an extreme talent that their child has and that they dont understand how to nurture. It's pretty great. One of Lawrence Fishburne's best performances.

Figured it would be appropriate for a sports board.
I wish my parents would have watched this when I was a kid. Maybe they would have learned something.

In all seriousness this is probably something I need to watch again.

Reactions: dbav

PS....Kiss my ass.

Sophie Scholl (German)
Flame and Citron (Danish)
A Woman in Berlin (German)
Downfall (German)
Winter in Wartime (Dutch)
Battle for Sevastopol (Russian)
Warsaw 44 (Polish)
The King’s Choice (Norwegian)
Lore (German)

While creating this list I saw one I haven’t seen and am about to watch: My Honor is my Loyalty. It’s on Netflix. Looks like it might be good.

Reactions: politicsasusual21
The Fate of the Furious 2017 is on NBC tonight at 8:00 E.S.T OFC

Have you seen Overcomer? I saw it in the theater and enjoyed it. That coach going from basketball to cross country was pretty funny.

I remember reading somewhere awhile back that they are supposedly going to be making a sequel to Killer Klowns from Outer Space sometime.

I hope it's still a B-movie and not some high budget project. It's like the new Godzilla movies. The toes on Godzilla always shook when it was a guy in a rubber suit. Much to my chagrin, they didn't carry that over to the CGI versions.

Reactions: Mac9192
If you like No Country For Old Men, you may enjoy this below. Sarcasm galore but cool nonetheless.

Sophie Scholl (German)
Flame and Citron (Danish)
A Woman in Berlin (German)
Downfall (German)
Winter in Wartime (Dutch)
Battle for Sevastopol (Russian)
Warsaw 44 (Polish)
The King’s Choice (Norwegian)
Lore (German)

While creating this list I saw one I haven’t seen and am about to watch: My Honor is my Loyalty. It’s on Netflix. Looks like it might be good.

I would also recommend Roberto Rossellini’s War Trilogy. It’s a superb perspective on how WWII impacted life in Europe and comes in a box set with a lot of great extras.

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/689-roberto-rossellini-s-war-trilogy

Reactions: FearTheBeard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT