ADVERTISEMENT

More...

Looks like Wendell cleared everything up. Why is this a story again??

I wanna know if Tre Jones and Cam Reddish are back to playing actual basketball?

UK has passed Duke as the new Vegas favorites to win the title. Where all my “I’m tired of all the preseason hype” people at????

Ka-BOOM!

Reactions: jwill133
Umm Wendell has said his mother didn't say that. Why isn't that penetrating?
If I were in her position and someone misquoted me to make me look sour, I believe that I would speak up. She has no problem talking any other time.

All due respect to Wendell, but it's not like he doesn't have an interest in downplaying his mother's comments. I hope he is telling the truth and his mother clears the air. It won't "penetrate" untill that happens.

Reactions: hart2chesson
If I were in her position and someone misquoted me to make me look sour, I believe that I would speak up. She has no problem talking any other time.

All due respect to Wendell, but it's not like he doesn't have an interest in downplaying his mother's comments. I hope he is telling the truth and his mother clears the air. It won't "penetrate" untill that happens.

So, basically Wendell is lying?

Wendell is still a kid. And his mother, after all, is still his mother. Why should Wendell be expected to publicly criticize, correct, or fail to support his Mom? Give the kid a break and credit him for being a respectful, appreciative son, no matter what his opinionated, all knowing, hyper-critical mother puts out there.

Soooooo......anyone else excited about the upcoming season??
Yes we all are QC. But this kind of attention, though Mrs. Carter has brought more, should not surprise any of us.
Parker's mom in 14. Probably not as heated, but she wasn't happy about her son being on bench late in an acc game.
Derryck Thornton's family his freshmen season.
Frank Jackson's dad. Supposedly pretty heated between him and K.
Carter's mom this season.

It's what happens with the parents of an elite kid.
We can only hope that the one's coming in now, and their families, aren't expecting their kid to be "the Man." If so, "As the World turns around Duke" will continue next year.
I miss Singler, Battier, Hurley, Laettner, Grant.......You know the guys that were not only good, but did whatever it took.

Wendell's really a MAN at this point....He could prevail upon his mom a little to respect his own views before going Pearl Harbor in the media if he TRULY wanted to....

Don't get me wrong. If K promised Carter he would be THE MAN inside from the outset, its on K. However there's a time and place for everything, and his mom even referenced the meeting with K the family had w/coach postseason. She should have voiced her views then in private, but sadly thats not her style....

OFC

So, basically Wendell is lying?
I hope not. I think he is in a tough position because of his mother.

Wendell is still a kid. And his mother, after all, is still his mother. Why should Wendell be expected to publicly criticize, correct, or fail to support his Mom? Give the kid a break and credit him for being a respectful, appreciative son, no matter what his opinionated, all knowing, hyper-critical mother puts out there.
I have no idea how you read my post and responded with this. The only thing I said was that his comments don't clear anything up. It is not on him, it is on his mother. I have no problem with Wendell at all. From everything that I have seen, he is a good kid and I loved watching him at Duke. It's unfortunate that he is even in a position to have to even address what his mother says. I don't expect anything from him. But he voluntarily made a statement in regards to his mother's comments that suggested that she was misquoted. I hope he is telling the truth and his mother clears the air. That's all.

Yes we all are QC. But this kind of attention, though Mrs. Carter has brought more, should not surprise any of us.
Parker's mom in 14. Probably not as heated, but she wasn't happy about her son being on bench late in an acc game.

We can only hope that the one's coming in now, and their families, aren't expecting their kid to be "the Man." If so, "As the World turns around Duke" will continue next year.
I miss Singler, Battier, Hurley, Laettner, Grant.......You know the guys that were not only good, but did whatever it took.
The new norm. The ME generation.

Very interesting take on the whole thing.

Michael DeCourcy
@tsnmike
Wendell Carter was the No. 7 prospect in the 2017 high school class. Mitchell Robinson was No. 8. One went Duke and became the No. 7 pick in #NBA⁠ ⁠ Draft. The other passed up college, trained privately and went 36th. Guess whose family is complaining.

Very interesting take on the whole thing.

Michael DeCourcy
@tsnmike
Wendell Carter was the No. 7 prospect in the 2017 high school class. Mitchell Robinson was No. 8. One went Duke and became the No. 7 pick in #NBA⁠ ⁠ Draft. The other passed up college, trained privately and went 36th. Guess whose family is complaining.
Yep. My point this whole time. Wendell could have averaged a 40 and 20, led us to an undefeated title while being the focal point on offense. And he still wouldn't have been selected ahead of the elite athletic bigs that went before him.

Trae Young jumping him this past year is understandable, given how the NBA has become a shooter's league. Wendell should be happy the Porter JR injury news leaked and was bad, because if not, Wendell probably goes 8, and has to live in Cleveland, on what is most likely gonna be a dreadful Cavs team for many many years.

Yep. My point this whole time. Wendell could have averaged a 40 and 20, led us to an undefeated title while being the focal point on offense. And he still wouldn't have been selected ahead of the elite athletic bigs that went before him.

Trae Young jumping him this past year is understandable, given how the NBA has become a shooter's league. Wendell should be happy the Porter JR injury news leaked and was bad, because if not, Wendell probably goes 8, and has to live in Cleveland, on what is most likely gonna be a dreadful Cavs team for many many years.

I agree with your point about the draft selection. I will say the Carter family just wanted Wendell to be the first option!!! The Carter family was well aware Marvin was better, but guess who else knew, the Duke coaching staff!!!

Mom Carter can't get passed the GAME played her and she's looking for blame.

The word is the Bulls organization is telling her to be quiet going into Summer League. Why? If Wendell does not perform, she will get destroyed in the media and behind closed doors.

Last edited:
Reactions: retiredsoldier
I would love to see her try and have this same conversation with Bolden's parents. In my opinion, they didn' have a problem coming in taking away minutes from Bolden so he can be the man, but all of a sudden his parents are butt hurt because duke grabbed another player that was going to take something away from their son now.
I guess it was hard for them to accept when the same thing you did to one, gets done to you in a sense. Just goes to show how different parents truly can be that are in similar situations. Bolden's parents should of been the ones with something to say more than anybody else. Just my 2 cents.

For the Battier, Hurley, Laettner and Grant it was a different day. Furthermore, for Battier and Singler, neither were the best or go to players on the team freshmen year.

When recruiting elite players all parties are dirty, players, parents, and coaches. Promises are made, feelings are involved and reputations are on the line! I do not think in these times of 'Big Business Sports' you can get pass it.

Reactions: Quavarius
I would love to see her try and have this same conversation with Bolden's parents. In my opinion, they didn' have a problem coming in taking away minutes from Bolden so he can be the man, but all of a sudden his parents are butt hurt because duke grabbed another player that was going to take something away from their son now.
I guess it was hard for them to accept when the same thing you did to one, gets done to you in a sense. Just goes to show how different parents truly can be that are in similar situations. Bolden's parents should of been the ones with something to say more than anybody else. Just my 2 cents.

EXCELLENT POINT!

Retired Soldier, that is the real conversation. I would not be surprised if Bolden is showcased this year. I can even make an argument for Vrankovic.

For the Battier, Hurley, Laettner and Grant it was a different day. Furthermore, for Battier and Singler, neither were the best or go to players on the team freshmen year.

When recruiting elite players all parties are dirty, players, parents, and coaches. Promises are made, feelings are involved and reputations are on the line! I do not think in these times of 'Big Business Sports' you can get pass it.
Battier, Hurley, Laettner, and Grant would all have been OAD if they played at Duke in 2018. They were all elite recruits, just a different era.

I think people are overreacting and believing that it's strictly parents of the most elite players. Duke has lately had a problem with guys transferring. I'm willing to bet Jordan Tucker's parents had something to do with his transfer. The news already came out about the issue with Semi. DT as well, he was never OAD. From everything I've read, Alex Murphy's parents were tough to deal with too.

Last edited:
Battier, Hurley, Laettner, and Grant would all have been OAD if they played at Duke in 2018. They were all elite recruits, just a different era.

I think people are overreacting and believing that it's strictly parents of the most elite players. Duke has lately had a problem with guys transferring. I'm willing to bet Jordan Tucker's parents were behind his transfer. The news already came out about the issue with Semi. DT as well, he was never OAD. From everything I've read, Alex Murphy's parents were tough to deal with too.

Over - recruiting/over - signing will do that...

EXCELLENT POINT!

Retired Soldier, that is the real conversation. I would not be surprised if Bolden is showcased this year. I can even make an argument for Vrankovic.
I' m hoping he is, that seems to be the case. I'm thankful for him coming to duke, but even more that his parents have been pretty silent and just trusting the GOAT.

Let’s not be naive. College coach say whatever needs to be said to get a player on his team. Coach K isn’t dumb. Why would he tell Wendell that Bagley is considering coming? No coach would do that. Every coach wants the best talent

Reactions: gottagonow
No. Duke basketball isn’t fun anymore.
Kind of exaggerating is a little, wouldn't ya say? I mean, I watch almost every game, and for the most part, expect Duke to win each game. Don't you?
Take this past season. We all kept waiting and hoping we would put together a complete game. Very seldom, even in the wins, did that happen. So it wasn't fun. Maybe if I would have dropped my expectations, I would have enjoyed it more. I enjoyed the 16 team more than the past 2 seasons.
So this not having FUN line that is thrown out there is in reference to that. I was disappointed 8 times this past season, 3 of them really hard to swallow.
Expectations put out there by the media, then many fans, lead to that. Go back and look at the game day threads. For the most part, there were many more posts after the losses.
It's not like we are Wake fans or State fans. Fun for them is beating Duke and winning 20 games. We expect a little more. Kind of like Alabama football. 9-3 or 10-2 is a disappointing season for them.

Kind of exaggerating is a little, wouldn't ya say? I mean, I watch almost every game, and for the most part, expect Duke to win each game. Don't you?
Take this past season. We all kept waiting and hoping we would put together a complete game. Very seldom, even in the wins, did that happen. So it wasn't fun. Maybe if I would have dropped my expectations, I would have enjoyed it more. I enjoyed the 16 team more than the past 2 seasons.
So this not having FUN line that is thrown out there is in reference to that. I was disappointed 8 times this past season, 3 of them really hard to swallow.
Expectations put out there by the media, then many fans, lead to that. Go back and look at the game day threads. For the most part, there were many more posts after the losses.
It's not like we are Wake fans or State fans. Fun for them is beating Duke and winning 20 games. We expect a little more. Kind of like Alabama football. 9-3 or 10-2 is a disappointing season for them.

Very sound analogy- I do consider us kind of like an "Alabama in football," from standpoint I do expect to win most games. I've never gone into a Duke basketball game since K began the dynasty since the mid 80s expecting to lose. It will always be fun to follow the Blue Devils, but we've underachieved the last 2 years considering expectations.The more QAD's we go after the more we're playing with fire....

'15 was magical w/3 OAD's, but keep in mind the Sulamion exit probably paved the way. Eight indeed WAS ENOUGH, the chemistry was electric, and Grayson blossomed.The '16 team was fun because that team minus Amile (injury) willed its way to the Sweet 16. Last two years, again the chemistry issues previously referenced.

#Devils4Life

OFC

Sounds like you’re letting your own, the outside world or some combination of both’s expextstions dictate your enjoyment. That’s a you issue, not a fan base as a whole issue. Also don’t conflict that with someone else’s same level of desire and passion to win. I enjoy the journey, the ups and downs, the stories I’m able to hear about it and seeing how it plays out. I too enjoyed the 2016 team. They gave it their all- however in that season i knew we had no chance to win anything. If you enjoy that more, yet we don’t win anything, and then a second later say you don’t enjoy a season when we didn’t win it all (we won the ACCT in some of the most thrilling four days I’ve had as a duke fan) than it seems that it again is on you and your ability to deal with or handle expectations. While i am pissed we lost to South Carolina, it doesn’t dampen my excitement and the fun i had watching that team put it all together in BK and going into that NCAA tourney thinking we had a real chance.

Very sound analogy- I do consider us kind of like an "Alabama in football," from standpoint I do expect to win most games. I've never gone into a Duke basketball game since K began the dynasty since the mid 80s expecting to lose. It will always be fun to follow the Blue Devils, but we've underachieved the last 2 years considering expectations.The more QAD's we go after the more we're playing with fire....

'15 was magical w/3 OAD's, but keep in mind the Sulamion exit probably paved the way. Eight indeed WAS ENOUGH, the chemistry was electric, and Grayson blossomed.The '16 team was fun because that team minus Amile (injury) willed its way to the Sweet 16. Last two years, again the chemistry issues previously referenced.

#Devils4Life

OFC
So you would rather have a team that has zero chance of winning a title (2016) but because our expectations aren't high, you're gonna enjoy the season more??
Instead of a team with sky-high expectations that has a chance to win a title, even though it's high expectations in a sport where the chances of a title are still slim due a single elimination tournament????

That's comical. Like Timo said above, that seems to be more of a You problem.I get your theory, but I'll settle for the chance at a title every day of the week. Understanding that the title chance will most likely result in more pain. 2016 was fun because we still had the title hangover, and yes that squad had a fun style (a lot of three's, played wide open in the half court) but once March hit, getting blown out by Oregon was not fun, even though it was pretty obvious the blow-out was coming.

Last edited:

I'm not exaggerating at all. You've said multiple times the last two season's haven't been fun for you. That's not on me. I've never once said there aren't frustrations or ebbs and flows in a season. That's completely different than saying it's no fun.

Changing diapers every day for six years (when my kids were younger) was no fun. My youngest daughter not sleeping for what seemed like a year wasn't fun.

Lastly, I like having expectations. I had them the last two years, too. And many years before that. I refuse to lower my expectations so I can feel "better" after a loss.

Sounds like you’re letting your own, the outside world or some combination of both’s expextstions dictate your enjoyment. That’s a you issue, not a fan base as a whole issue. Also don’t conflict that with someone else’s same level of desire and passion to win. I enjoy the journey, the ups and downs, the stories I’m able to hear about it and seeing how it plays out. I too enjoyed the 2016 team. They gave it their all- however in that season i knew we had no chance to win anything. If you enjoy that more, yet we don’t win anything, and then a second later say you don’t enjoy a season when we didn’t win it all (we won the ACCT in some of the most thrilling four days I’ve had as a duke fan) than it seems that it again is on you and your ability to deal with or handle expectations. While i am pissed we lost to South Carolina, it doesn’t dampen my excitement and the fun i had watching that team put it all together in BK and going into that NCAA tourney thinking we had a real chance.
Was this season fun? You're blowing this out of proportion. Were you not frustrated this past season? If you were frustrated yet call it fun, I have some ocean front property in Kansas just for you.
This isn't about not liking Duke. Like I said, go back and read the game day threads and then tell me who had fun. I don't know about you, but I don't remember hearing anyone giddy after Carolina beat us. Some say "next game," which is fine. That's their choice. We didn't go crazy when we beat Syracuse to get to the elite 8 either. We were relieved.
So when someone says the last few seasons haven't been fun, it's not like the fun you have at an amusement park.
It doesn't mean I won't watch Duke, or I'm not having fun doing it, but tell me you had fun watching any of the PK80 games, the BC game, State game, two of the three Hole games, Kansas game. If you call that fun, I don't want to know what you do that isn't enjoyable.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
Was this season fun? You're blowing this out of proportion. Were you not frustrated this past season? If you were frustrated yet call it fun, I have some ocean front property in Kansas just for you.
This isn't about not liking Duke. Like I said, go back and read the game day threads and then tell me who had fun. I don't know about you, but I don't remember hearing anyone giddy after Carolina beat us. Some say "next game," which is fine. That's their choice. We didn't go crazy when we beat Syracuse to get to the elite 8 either. We were relieved.
So when someone says the last few seasons haven't been fun, it's not like the fun you have at an amusement park.
It doesn't mean I won't watch Duke, or I'm not having fun doing it, but tell me you had fun watching any of the PK80 games, the BC game, State game, two of the three Hole games, Kansas game. If you call that fun, I don't want to know what you do that isn't enjoyable.

YOU didn’t have fun. I enjoyed every single game because my team was playing and I get excited about what could happen in the game. I always looked forward to the next game because I might see a full game at our highest potential

The PK80 games would have been a blast to watch as a neutral fan. They were very stressful as a Duke fan. But in a twisted way, it is kind of fun for me to yell and scream at the tv for an hour and fifty minutes just to feel like a dumbass when Duke ends up winning. I just need a few 82-50 games in between to balance out my blood pressure.

I'm not exaggerating at all. You've said multiple times the last two season's haven't been fun for you. That's not on me. I've never once said there aren't frustrations or ebbs and flows in a season. That's completely different than saying it's no fun.

Changing diapers every day for six years (when my kids were younger) was no fun. My youngest daughter not sleeping for what seemed like a year wasn't fun.

Lastly, I like having expectations. I had them the last two years, too. And many years before that. I refuse to lower my expectations so I can feel "better" after a loss.
Do you have fun every time you play golf? I don't, yet I love the heck out of that sport.
I like expectations too. But it isn't fun when you're the team with the highest expectation, and you don't get there.
I didn't expect Duke to lose 8 games this past season, and no one thought we would lose 2 out of 3 to our rival. I didn't either. Go back and read preseason last year and then check out game day thread after the Holes beat us. Tell me who had fun.

I changed diapers too. It was actually very enjoyable. At least when I took the diaper off, I knew what would be waiting on me.
We never knew what to expect out of this Duke team. Haven't in over 2 seasons.

I always looked forward to the next game because I might see a full game at our highest potential
How did that work out for ya? THAT'S KIND OF THE WHOLE POINT HERE. We watched the next game because you might see the team at its highest potential. The problem is, it never happened.
I know no one, I mean no one, that I run into daily, that enjoyed this past season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT