ADVERTISEMENT

More...

Not defending her at all, because her son was picked 7th. I think she's still chapped over being told her son would be the focal point. Then Marvin came and that changed.
I'm not so sure we would be hearing anything had Bagley not been in the picture.
Before anyone jumps on me, think outside the box. I don't think she could handle her "baby" not getting the attention "she" thought he deserved.
Marvin at #2==1st year $6 million
Wendell at#7==1st year $3.6 million

Possible she feels her son was cheated out of several million?

I can see that. But at Harvard, he would have had less exposure and not quite the development he received at Duke. I bet if he went to Harvard, his pick spot would have been even lower. I also bet if he was at Duke alone without Marvin and had to carry a higher load, he would’ve ended up around the same pick or worse. The same guys would’ve been in the draft and he would’ve had a very similar season, maybe just 5-6 points per game higher. His skill set wouldn’t have changed though. Meh it is what it is.

I can see that. But at Harvard, he would have had less exposure and not quite the development he received at Duke. I bet if he went to Harvard, his pick spot would have been even lower. I also bet if he was at Duke alone without Marvin and had to carry a higher load, he would’ve ended up around the same pick or worse. The same guys would’ve been in the draft and he would’ve had a very similar season, maybe just 5-6 points per game higher. His skill set wouldn’t have changed though. Meh it is what it is.
I feel like Carter and Bagley benefited each other more than got in each other's way. They were both given great opportunities to showcase their skills all while having any potential downfalls masked by being able to lean on the other when they were either off their game or in foul trouble. Carter specifically benefited from Bagley being on the team, because if he wasn't, his foul troubles would have been magnified.

Teams always bring in he best player. Only mistake K made was promising he would be the star/go to guy, you don’t do that because you never know who might be coming in (K knew Bagley was coming and should have told The Carters) coaches like to be slick and not tell another recruit this because three know they may lose a recruit because of this. This happened when I was being recruited, when my brother was being recruited, his sons and my father.

I know fans think their coach never does anything wrong and everything is above board (which is why it’s called being a FANatic) but coaches are not the angels people think. I think Fans deep down know this but don’t care as long as they get the player they want. It’s always best if a coach lays his cards on the table and tell the recruit who else they have or might have

Teams always bring in he best player. Only mistake K made was promising he would be the star/go to guy, you don’t do that because you never know who might be coming in (K knew Bagley was coming and should have told The Carters) coaches like to be slick and not tell another recruit this because three know they may lose a recruit because of this. This happened when I was being recruited, when my brother was being recruited, his sons and my father.

I know fans think their coach never does anything wrong and everything is above board (which is why it’s called being a FANatic) but coaches are not the angels people think. I think Fans deep down know this but don’t care as long as they get the player they want. It’s always best if a coach lays his cards on the table and tell the recruit who else they have or might have
So K promised him that he would be the star and the go to guy, eh?

I didn't know that they recruited fluffers. And you come from a family of fluffers too?

Some of the comments on here are as funny as the comments by Mrs. Carter.

I wish she didn’t say what she said, she already made her point a month ago, but she is correct. However, it’s over, why keep it in the news??

As for the Bagley hurting Carter debate. Take Bagley off the team, and yes, Carter’s numbers definitely would have been much better. However, he could have averaged 25 and 10, we go undefeated and win the title, and he would still be “heavy footed” and lacking elite athleticism. He was never going ahead of Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Jackson, or Bamba. Regardless of the season he had. He was always the next tier down, been a mid-lottery pick since he was a junior in high school, and that’s right where he went.

Reactions: dbav and dukehokie
She's a parent, and a parent of a kid that, in her eyes, is the best player. Plus she feels like her son was slighted.
The best way to break this down is imagine if this was you interviewing for a job, and the employer told you that you would be the "main" guy and would be paid an x amount of dollars. You take the job. Then they hire another guy a week later, and tell him the same thing but pay him more. He may be better than you. Would you be happy though?

Jesus. If you want to be the best, be the best. I hate the oh woah is me shit. The bottom line Mrs Carter, Marvin Bagley is a better athlete than your son, and soon you’ll see that as the league rolls on. Hell, I love Wendell, but Bags should get picked before him.....every time.

I seem to remember when it mattered most against Kansas, Carter didn’t bring it...I’m not piling on Carter as much as I am defending K and the program

Good thing you were in the office when this all went down. And good thing Cal has never made a promise he couldn’t keep. The flat Earth can keep spinning.

I can somewhat buy into your theory.These college coaches, even K, DO NOT walk on water. Carter may have indeed been promised he would be the focal point when he was being recruited.Bagley burst on the scene nationally late last summer, and K thought hey, we can be EVEN BETTER! See there's a lot of "what iffing" on this matter, and we will probably never know the real story. However, your theory is very viable.I would add though,Mrs.Carter needs to move on now, and smell the roses....OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
If K did say yea your the man technically he didn’t lie. He was the man before Bagley came. Hahahaha there’s so many stories coming up now on this. This isn’t the end. Bet on it. Think about the mentality Bagley had . Boldens coming back. Carters coming. “I’m coming to compete” Or how about poor Bolden....

Last edited:
There were absolutely some chemistry issues in that locker room.

I did not say much during the season in relation to it, but many observes wondered how Marvin and Carter could co - exist. Scouts, coaches and agents knew the Carter family was a handful. They would've had no problem with Bolden playing by Carter's side, but Marvin was another issue because he would demand the ball.

There was also conversation about Trent getting his shots in the flow of the offense.

It somewhat reminds me of Elton, Chris, Will, Taj, and Chris 20 years ago. I wonder who kept that team together? I do know the following year all five left Duke, the same with this starting 5!

Good luck this year, it will be interesting. I hope Coach K will take care of himself health wise because this year will be a challenge too.

I don’t believe he said that anyway. Gahhhhh I wish they just move on!!!!!!! Talk about the good in life now! Where’s that? This grudge holding is really weird at one of the best times of the kids life to just put your focus on everything you perceive a negative . Like a divorce or some crap. Like a butt hurt girl that stalks you after a breakup waiting for something bad to happen and something to spew. Lol except in this case she got a hotter guy then you anyway, and she’s still there spying, awaiting to pounce, and wishing the worst for you anyway !! Gotta little case of the I need somebody to kiss my butt disorder. Playing the victims hard making millions from what your complaining about.....It’s been a long time since I’ve seen someone so unappreciative and sad...dumb. Lol move on!

Last edited:
At least give me some dang soulutions with your mumble jumble, and tell us how you really feel! Stop all this sidestepping and contradicting! Stop all thIs indecisive crap. Just take your shots, shut up, and bye bye! Lol..Get it all over with once! Not continually dipping your toes in the water checking the temperature !! (gaining confidence in opening her mouth) ...Not that id entertain anything she would say, but just my point.

If her goal is for everybody to bang there head against the wall and scratch their eyeballs out listening to her....Mission accomplished. Tom Cruise retired.

Last edited:
Mama Bear and Papa Bear are is just pissed that Wendell wasn't the player the offense was built around. Im pretty sure they thought he would be and at the time and K may have led them to believe just that but Mama welcome to the real world. This was probably the only time her son was never the go to player on the team in his life and naturally they were pretty miffed, I can understand her being disappointed but we were all disappointed (with the season outcome) weren't we. Again, welcome to the real world Mama. Life is not always going be fair and you might have to omit a bath room or two in your new mansion.

Last edited:
Mama Bear and Papa Bear are is just pissed that Wendell wasn't the player the offense was built around. Im pretty sure they thought he would be and at the time ad K may have led them to believe just that but Mama welcome to the real world. This was probably the only time her son was never the go to player on the team in his life and naturally they were pretty miffed, I can understand her being disappointed but we were all disappointed weren't we. Again, welcome to the real world Mama. Life is not always going be fair and you might have to omit a bath room or two in your new mansion.

Yes indeed!!!

Maybe for her sake Wendell should have went to Harvard but I don't think that by going there he would have went higher in the draft or been more NBA ready but again for her sake she would have been better off. OFC

There were absolutely some chemistry issues in that locker room.

I did not say much during the season in relation to it, but many observes wondered how Marvin and Carter could co - exist. Scouts, coaches and agents knew the Carter family was a handful. They would've had no problem with Bolden playing by Carter's side, but Marvin was another issue because he would demand the ball.

There was also conversation about Trent getting his shots in the flow of the offense.
Not only Mrs Carter's comments, but also those coming from the Trent family are the results of too many mouths to feed. I believe chemistry was a big problem, and why you can have too much talent.
I don't understand how some Duke fans deny that.
Like it or not, this affected Allen. It winds up being on him, but he couldn't handle the pressure of trying to keep 3 alphas happy.
K's 4th title is proof about talent. The proper blend of talent and role players. Add Irving to that 09-10 team and we don't win it all. Yeah he's a better offensive player than our stars on that team were, but we wouldn't have been a better team.
I'll take a good team 8 days a week over a bunch of talented kids.

Maybe for her sake Wendell should have went to Harvard but I don't think that by going there he would have went higher in the draft or been more NBA ready but again for her sake she would have been better off. OFC
And it sounds like Duke would have been better off as well if he had gone to Harvard rather than put up with this kind of nonsense.

If K did say yea your the man technically he didn’t lie. He was the man before Bagley came. Hahahaha there’s so many stories coming up now on this. This isn’t the end. Bet on it. Think about the mentality Bagley had . Boldens coming back. Carters coming. “I’m coming to compete” Or how about poor Bolden....

We finally agree. They’re complaining like he didn’t average 30 mpg. Bolden should be the one that’s upset. He went from starter to averaging 12 mins a game. He’s going to be in for a rude awakening if the Bulls suck this year and get a top pick next year. His parents may try to talk him into going Europe then

I don't agree with Carter's mom being a brat, but she makes one good point. The addition of Marvin was GREAT, however, it might have held back the growth of Wendell and Bolden.

As a b-ball player, fan and coach, I believe Duke would've still won most of their games and might've improved defensively.

Marvin was just plained exciting, but many of the players growing individually might have stalled!!!

Reactions: Mac9192
Wendell is a heck of a player, and I'm glad he was (is) a Dukie. But some people (his mom) are never satisfied. I have a feeling if Bags hadn't come to Duke, she would have found something else to complain about. That's on her, not Wendell, or K, or Duke.

OFC

Last edited:
I don't agree with Carter's mom being a brat, but she makes one good point. The addition of Marvin was GREAT, however, it might have held back the growth of Wendell and Bolden.

As a b-ball player, fan and coach, I believe Duke would've still won most of their games and might've improved defensively.

Marvin was just plained exciting, but many of the players growing individually might have stalled!!!

It held Bolden back from playing time, but it actually helped Carter because he showed he could do other things besides score. It showed he can still be valuable even if he isn’t the primary option

Reactions: jamsession3
Wendell is a heck of a player, and I'm glad he was (is) a Dukie. But some people (his mom) are never satisfied. I have a feeling if Bags hadn't come to Duke, she would have found something else to complain about. That's on her, not Wendell, or K, or Duke.

OFC

Mom wanted her son to be the 1# option. He was supposed to touch the ball first, then everyone else.

Jesus. If you want to be the best, be the best. I hate the oh woah is me shit. The bottom line Mrs Carter, Marvin Bagley is a better athlete than your son, and soon you’ll see that as the league rolls on. Hell, I love Wendell, but Bags should get picked before him.....every time.
I think the Carter's were/are very aware of that. He wasn't going to Harvard, but he certainly would of went elsewhere to another of the many powerhouse programs who courted him without a preferred big as the go to scorer. If Bagley was going to any of the schools he was considering, he would not go as the secondary big. That is where they have their anger, misplaced or not. They felt misled to commit with the sales pitch of Carter as the featured big on their roster. After they committed, they now beleive the plan was always to get Bagley to reclassify, and have them both.

Didn’t she tell him she wanted him to return to Duke a couple of months ago? I’m so confused.
She’s said ....a lot!! So much that she’s running out of stuff to say, and she’s contradicting herself over and over . It’s a circle ....she likes talking and making no sense evidently.

Not only Mrs Carter's comments, but also those coming from the Trent family are the results of too many mouths to feed. I believe chemistry was a big problem, and why you can have too much talent.
I don't understand how some Duke fans deny that.
Like it or not, this affected Allen. It winds up being on him, but he couldn't handle the pressure of trying to keep 3 alphas happy.
K's 4th title is proof about talent. The proper blend of talent and role players. Add Irving to that 09-10 team and we don't win it all. Yeah he's a better offensive player than our stars on that team were, but we wouldn't have been a better team.
I'll take a good team 8 days a week over a bunch of talented kids.

You CAN have too much talent, crazy as it sounds.I think this has impacted us chemistry wise the last 2 seasons. I believe Tatum and Kennard were in somewhat of a tug of war for the ball last season(Plus Jackson's dad was a sideshow). Obviously now with all the things coming to light per the Carters, Mr. Trent, etc I think we can safely say there were chemistry issues this year.

The one thing that really bothers me however, is the sour grapes after the fact scenario w/these parents. Problem? Meet w/staff in private, talk things out, etc-dont do a Pearl Harbor attack in public later. Why did Mrs.Carter say publicly she wanted Wendell to come back to Duke a 2nd year?? She's always got an angle, and is a real distraction. The Bulls have to deal with her now, I say good riddance.

To get back to your point Mac, I agree with you per the talent/chemistry argument. Theres a fine line, especially when you are dealing w/one and done kids (and their parents obviously). I think K has the consumate point guard in Tre Jones coming in this year, and if anybody can handle ball distribution effectively its Tyus Stones younger brother!

OFC

Reactions: dukesince91
I think the Carter's were/are very aware of that. He wasn't going to Harvard, but he certainly would of went elsewhere to another of the many powerhouse programs who courted him without a preferred big as the go to scorer. If Bagley was going to any of the schools he was considering, he would not go as the secondary big. That is where they have their anger, misplaced or not. They felt misled to commit with the sales pitch of Carter as the featured big on their roster. After they committed, they now beleive the plan was always to get Bagley to reclassify, and have them both.
Carter was always a heavy duke lean, to the point where it wouldn’t have shocked anyone if he popped for us in the summer of 2016. He officially committed in November during the early signin period. Wellllll before the thought of Bagley reclassifying and the destination being Duke was even a thought.

Reactions: dtodd4475
Parents may be their way of getting what they want to say out without actually saying it lol who knows!! Sad. I’d sit the bench at Duke for 4 years and be satisfied. I don’t get it . You come to Duke for a year, then you make millions the next! Your not satisfied .....? Ask anybody (most) what you would do for 1 year knowing the next you make millions...hmmmmm lol anything and thank them! And that doing something they don’t love!!! Not basketball!! Ooooo:(

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT