ADVERTISEMENT

Memorial Day

It's not a happy holiday for sure but it's a time to reflect and think about those who gave their lives defending our freedom. I would like to name 3 I knew who gave it all. Please list those you knew if you feel so inclined.

Bill Russo Viet Nam
Jerry Wagner Sr. Viet Nam
Gary Prince Viet Nam
OFC

Last edited:
It's not a happy holiday for sure but it's a time to reflect and think about those who gave their lives defending our freedom. I would like to name 3 I knew who gave it all. Please list those you knew if you feel so inclined.

Bill Russo
Jerry Wagner Sr.
Gary Prince
OFC

Very important to remember. Thank you both. Not to police your lives, but if you say "Happy Memorial Day", it may not sit well with many folks. Just take the time to say thanks, even if it's silently.

Justice Lee

Reactions: skysdad
Very important to remember. Thank you both. Not to police your lives, but if you say "Happy Memorial Day", it may not sit well with many folks. Just take the time to say thanks, even if it's silently.

Justice Lee

"Happy Memorial Day" irks me as my father passed away few years ago from chemical exposure in Vietnam. It's not a happy day.

"Happy Memorial Day" irks me as my father passed away few years ago from chemical exposure in Vietnam. It's not a happy day.

My grandfather probably from the same chemicals. Not a fan of "Happy Memorial Day." I'm sorry for your loss and am grateful for his service.

Sorry about your dad. It wasn't always in battle that cost the lives of our protectors. OFC

Reactions: Laettner
My grandfather probably from the same chemicals. Not a fan of "Happy Memorial Day." I'm sorry for your loss and am grateful for his service.

Sorry for your dad also. My dad died at 67 but his basic training like a lot of recruits was done in humid and hot weather. He was already in his thirty's when he was drafted into WW2 and always said he wasn't the same after that. ofc

Reactions: dukehokie
I particularly highlighted Sgt Rick Best this Memorial Day. Best was a retired Army vet who was murdered on a Portland train last Friday while defending two teenage girls, one in a hijab, against a White supremacist. Another man was killed beside him, and a third was injured.

I was in the Navy from 84'-88'....Memorial day always makes me remember a man a worked for when I was in. He was a Navy Seal, Medal of Honor winner. Michael E. Thornton....Google him sometime and read his story. Wish I had been mature enough then to realize who I had in front of me.

I never really thought of that. I can't really recall if that's something I've ever said, but I'll be sure not to moving forward.

I would hope people understand it in the way we often say awkward things at funerals for not knowing what to say, but w/ awareness, I put greater emphasis on not saying that, certainly.

After my father's death the VA provided health stats for soldiers who served from '66 thru '70. It was beyond alarming.

Noticed this year a lot of people using "Happy" & didn't understand where that came from.

Sorry about your dad. It wasn't always in battle that cost the lives of our protectors. OFC

Thanks Sky. My father passed away right before '09-'10 Duke season so that team will always be my favorite. Amazing how sports can lift up an entire family.

Reactions: skysdad
I was in the Navy from 84'-88'....Memorial day always makes me remember a man a worked for when I was in. He was a Navy Seal, Medal of Honor winner. Michael E. Thornton....Google him sometime and read his story. Wish I had been mature enough then to realize who I had in front of me.
Thanks for your service! I read about Mr Thornton. Holy cow! He swam for 2 hours with 2 wounded soldiers, until they were rescued! Wow, you were truly in the presence of a legend.

I was.....but too young and dumb to realize it. I've tried to find him just to talk, but no luck.

I have a funny story about him taking a swing at me once, but I was ale to dodge it....then I went to personnel to report him and the guy pulled out his pen and licked the tip and said "So let me get this straight. Navy seal, medal of honor winner Mike Thornton took a swing at 2nd class petty officer no name and there were no witnesses. That how you want me to write it up?".......Never mind........walking away!!

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT