ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe I'm nuts but I do believe the NBA draft is rigged.

Thought this forever. The lottery is utterly stupid.

Twice Charlotte should have ended up with a big time player to elevate them nothingness to lottery into the second pick and get a decent role player.

It's not rigged. If it were rigged markets like Golden State, San Antonio and Cleveland wouldn't be as good as they are....also, I think the Lakers, Knicks and Bulls would be a little better than they are, too.

Reactions: bfort2223
Well, since the playoffs are rigged (who remembers the playoff game Sacramento vs. LA 2002 game 6) why would the draft be any different? Money talks.

Last edited:
It's not rigged. If it were rigged markets like Golden State, San Antonio and Cleveland wouldn't be as good as they are....also, I think the Lakers, Knicks and Bulls would be a little better than they are, too.

Really? San Antonio got Duncan in '97 when they had the worst chance to get the number 1 pick. Golden State lucked out with the Steph Curry pick. He was taken around 8th and nobody expected him to turn into what he did. Did you not click on the link to the article I posted? Cleveland?? They get the one overall the year LeBron comes out and then get a few more number ones. Said the odds were something like 13,000 to one for it all to happen. Good Lord.

Reactions: Dominator4321
Really? San Antonio got Duncan in '97 when they had the worst chance to get the number 1 pick. Golden State lucked out with the Steph Curry pick. He was taken around 8th and nobody expected him to turn into what he did. Did you not click on the link to the article I posted? Cleveland?? They get the one overall the year LeBron comes out and then get a few more number ones. Said the odds were something like 13,000 to one for it all to happen. Good Lord.

The San Antonio stat is false. The Spurs had one of the worst records in the NBA that season...David Robinson was out. My point on San Antonio is that they're not a major market. Seems the NBA could have done better in that regard.

The point I was making that clearly went over your head, is why would the NBA, if it's rigged, allow some of these smaller markets to be so dominant, while markets like L.A., Chicago and New York are down? That would seem to be a bad business model, would it not?

NY number one for sure....then:
  • Los Angeles, CA – 3,792,657. ...
  • Chicago, IL – 2,695,598. ...
  • Houston, TX – 2,096,661. ...
  • Philadelphia, PA – 1,526,006. ...
  • Phoenix, AZ – 1,447,617. ...
  • San Antonio, TX – 1,327,556. ...
  • San Diego, CA – 1,301,621. ...
  • Dallas, TX – 1,197,792.

If you are talking revenue here is a link:
https://www.forbes.com/nba-valuations/list/

Point is it may not be only on success... People in China buy New York Nicks stuff just because it is New York. Iconic. Their success is not contingent on their value or sales. But whatever. There is not any sort of valid conspiracy because the top markets will be top for a long time coming. Maybe at the bottom with teams Philly but they have tanked every season. So there you go.

Last edited:
The San Antonio stat is false. The Spurs had one of the worst records in the NBA that season...David Robinson was out. My point on San Antonio is that they're not a major market. Seems the NBA could have done better in that regard.

The point I was making that clearly went over your head, is why would the NBA, if it's rigged, allow some of these smaller markets to be so dominant, while markets like L.A., Chicago and New York are down? That would seem to be a bad business model, would it not?

Teams like Golden State aren't handed top overall picks but get lucky with a Steph Curry type selection.

Teams like Golden State aren't handed top overall picks but get lucky with a Steph Curry type selection.

So true, GSW front office acts like they invented basketball. They got lucky with Curry & Green, then Durant showed up b/c he couldn't close out a 3-1 series lead with Westbrook.

Reactions: MSUbluedevil
Thought this forever. The lottery is utterly stupid.

Twice Charlotte should have ended up with a big time player to elevate them nothingness to lottery into the second pick and get a decent role player.

Hornets have done a wonderful job of passing over future All Stars. Adam Morrison was hysterical bust. Kaminsky over Justise was another beauty.

Reactions: sheyduke

But luck is just part of life. Good players have been passed over before Golden State. Golden State, Durant excluded, really built their team through the draft. Heck, they even won a championship before Durant came aboard.

I think there are three things interesting about draft:

1. I think the draft is rigged -- I think this is really only critical in the first 5 picks.
2. I think teams skew their coaching and playing effort to maximize the outcome of the draft -- and yes I understand that this conflicts somewhat with #1.
3. Most importantly, I think that there a lot more analytics that are involved in determining player in the draft. AND THIS negates most of #1 and #2 -- imho.

Here is a really interesting read of basketball geeks by Michael Lewis (Moneyball / Liar's Poker / Blind Side). This is from his book, The Undoing Project.

Chapter 1 is about the Houston Rockets -- you might like it.
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...conomics_to_revolutionize_the_art_of_nba.html

Reactions: DukeDenver
I like that part of this "conspiracy" includes Tim Duncan going to San Antonio INSTEAD OF BOSTON.

But luck is just part of life. Good players have been passed over before Golden State. Golden State, Durant excluded, really built their team through the draft. Heck, they even won a championship before Durant came aboard.

Steph, Klay, Harrison and Draymond were all draft picks of Jerry West and nurtured under Mark Jackson. No luck.

However, the NBA is a business and big markets like LA, Philly, Boston, Chicago and NYC can not fail!

Steph, Klay, Harrison and Draymond were all draft picks of Jerry West and nurtured under Mark Jackson. No luck.

However, the NBA is a business and big markets like LA, Philly, Boston, Chicago and NYC can not fail!

I agree with your first part....that was my point.

The second part? LA, Philly and NY have been failing for a few years. But that was my point about it not being rigged. Sure, major markets have advantages....but that holds true in all sports and most everyday professions.

Chit I think the NBA is rigged period hahhha ...but foreal there's hardly any surprises u know who's goin to win b4 the season starts the regular seasons pointless and to long.

This will be Charlottes best draft since Jordan bought them. It should have been the year we had two lottery picks but they got Kimba right and Byiombo very wrong.

I was so glad they didn't draft a big. Every year they have drafted one and they never pan out.

I'm all for conspiracy theories, but nobody is rigging the draft for the benefit of ... Cleveland, Ohio.

And not only would it take a cover up of massive proportions, but it would have to involve other owners whose very interests are directly contrary to the benefitting team to be complicit in the conspiracy. I seriously doubt someone like Pat Riley is fine with completely destroying the integrity of the sport just so the Lakers, Knicks or whoever can get an unfair advantage over his team.

I'm all for conspiracy theories, but nobody is rigging the draft for the benefit of ... Cleveland, Ohio.

And not only would it take a cover up of massive proportions, but it would have to involve other owners whose very interests are directly contrary to the benefitting team to be complicit in the conspiracy. I seriously doubt someone like Pat Riley is fine with completely destroying the integrity of the sport just so the Lakers, Knicks or whoever can get an unfair advantage over his team.
It's fun to speculate but it's simply not true that the draft is rigged.

The original article is stupid. The guy is either bad at math (doesn't understand what he is doing) or he is intentionally spinning numbers to make his point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT