ADVERTISEMENT

Max Christie

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I see where he has narrowed his college to five and Duke is one of them. He seems that he is ours to lose. The crystal ball indicates that anyway. He's a shooter and we always need those. Being around 6'6" which is a plus. Don't know if he csn play defense though. One really good thing about him is hof coach roy williams has already turned him down . That unc cheater u program must be some kind of complicated. Be nice if he would go on and committ to Duke. OFC

Reactions: Quavarius
Has he narrowed it down? I haven’t see anything about it and the last article I saw said he wasn’t going to make a final list or anything. He was just going to commit whenever he feels like he found the right fit. Could be wrong

Has he narrowed it down? I haven’t see anything about it and the last article I saw said he wasn’t going to make a final list or anything. He was just going to commit whenever he feels like he found the right fit. Could be wrong

I'll double check it. OFC

tp I can't find it now but I know I saw it somewhere. It listed 5 schools and none of them were bb powerhouses. If I run across it again I will list the school. I did find that the crystal ball has him going to Duke.

Reactions: skysdad
Picked up a couple of Michigan State picks on the crystal ball for what it’s worth. One of the picks was from one of our guys.

Bummer. I really like his game. Probably not a big deal if we get Keels and it doesnt hurt our chances with Baldwin.

Not a huge deal if we get Keels.
This still stings though because Christie is the perfect elite shooter to pair around a bunch of athletic studs like Griffin. Baldwin can fill the void (and then some) but would be great to load up on a few shooters.

2021-2022 will be Duke versus the field when it comes to who is gonna win the title.

Yeah Duke is gonna be loaded either way. I’d love to have that shooter, but I’m not gonna complain with the haul that class is going to have on top of what could come back.

Yeah Duke is gonna be loaded either way. I’d love to have that shooter, but I’m not gonna complain with the haul that class is going to have on top of what could come back.
Keels is a very solid shooter as well though. Christie level? Maybe not but I think he’ll be solid.

Reactions: Duke937 and dbav
Saw that a while ago. As often with our recruiting, I cant decide who I prefer. Nice problem to have.

I see where he has narrowed his college to five and Duke is one of them. He seems that he is ours to lose. The crystal ball indicates that anyway. He's a shooter and we always need those. Being around 6'6" which is a plus. Don't know if he csn play defense though. One really good thing about him is hof coach roy williams has already turned him down . That unc cheater u program must be some kind of complicated. Be nice if he would go on and committ to Duke. OFC

Would love for Duke to land this guy. He can really score.

Seems msu has the inside track with Max...imo Duke's guard situation is hard to gauge. Seems will lose jalen Johnson and Matthew hurt after the season. So the forward/centers I think would be
3. Griffin/baker
4. Pat/brakefield
5. Williams/Coleman

1. Roach?/?
2. Wendell? /steward?
I think we keep 1 of roach/steward and maybe Wendell goes pro.
Think the staff wants pat and keels to go with Griffin and then maybe a pg transfer. I dont think we get the Florida transfer unless roach has made it clear hes 1 and done

Reactions: DukeNation12
Seems msu has the inside track with Max...imo Duke's guard situation is hard to gauge. Seems will lose jalen Johnson and Matthew hurt after the season. So the forward/centers I think would be
3. Griffin/baker
4. Pat/brakefield
5. Williams/Coleman

1. Roach?/?
2. Wendell? /steward?
I think we keep 1 of roach/steward and maybe Wendell goes pro.
Think the staff wants pat and keels to go with Griffin and then maybe a pg transfer. I dont think we get the Florida transfer unless roach has made it clear hes 1 and done
I actually think Williams is a one and done player! According to a lot of folks, he is much much better than advertised.

Heard that too, thankfully banchero is deciding in the spring.
That is great news for Duke. We could have a lot of guys returning, I'd assume Banchero wants to see where the chips fall. If we lose Johnson, Moore, Hurt, and Williams....I think we get Banchero.

Reactions: youknowit1
Just read somewhere yesterday that Keels isn't looking good for us either.

Sure as heck hope that means a reclass or some other stud 2 guard is heading our way.

Duke has almost always brought in a good 2/combo guard....If they miss out on Christie and Keels I do wonder where they may turn?

Of course all of this is irrelevant if DJ is around for a 2nd year...or Duke lands Nembhard too? A lot of moving pieces. But I stay confident in Duke always having a stud 2Guard.

Reactions: christophero
Always hard to tell but my guess is Hurt, Moore, Johnson, and Roach are gone after this year. Williams and Steward are yet to be determined. Steward is small; he doesn't seem ready at all. Esp. as a 2. Williams may appeal to the NBA based on his length. Brakefield as well but I'm hoping he stays.

If more than 1 of Roach, Steward, Williams, and Braekfield leave, we better have won a championship.
If Hurt, Moore, Johnson, and anyone from that group leave after next year we better have won a championship.

I think I'd rather have Caleb Houston reclass to 2021 instead of Christie anyway, Houston looks more complete/athletic offensively whereas Christie is really just a shooter.

I really have no idea who will stick around after next year. I think the general sentiment should be expect Moore, Hurt, and Johnson to be gone. Everyone else is a question mark until we see real live games IMO.

Sure as heck hope that means a reclass or some other stud 2 guard is heading our way.

Duke will be fine at the 2 guard position if Steward comes back which would not surprise me at all

I think I'd rather have Caleb Houston reclass to 2021 instead of Christie anyway, Houston looks more complete/athletic offensively whereas Christie is really just a shooter.

I really have no idea who will stick around after next year. I think the general sentiment should be expect Moore, Hurt, and Johnson to be gone. Everyone else is a question mark until we see real live games IMO.

Cory Evans with Rivals has us missing on all three perimeter targets including Kennedy Chandler who I thought was a Duke lock. Has him landing at UT Vols. That’s bad to lose out on our primary 5* PG target twice in 3 years to the Vols. Here is the article from this morning:

https://basketballrecruiting.n.riva...-duke-s-21-class-unc-s-next-offer-jaden-hardy

I just don't think Chandler to Tennessee is a done deal but Evans has been preaching that for awhile. He does have access to info but he's far from infallible.

I'll point out again that Houstan is a reclass candidate. Houstan, Griffin and Baldwin would be SICK. I like Houstan better than Christie and Keels, frankly.

Point is if we're whiffing on those 3 it could be because there are other developments afoot. Whereas that article makes it sound like we're just laying an egg on the backcourt front.

And there's no way we end up with a three-man class.

Reactions: DukeNation12
Hopefully our two freshman guards are not one and done. They both seem pretty small. Maybe Roach, but that is 50/50 at this point. Might be hard to get big guard recruits with that uncertainty.

What if there is no season, or a very short (fewer than 20 games) season? Do the possible OADs leave based on basically a tryout? That may change the entire dynamic, although I'm not sure in which direction.

Christie and Baldwin make this a great recruiting class. Haven’t had a shoot like Christie in a number of seasons.

I may be in the few here....but I would honestly rather have Keels than Christie.

Keels is a bully I would LOVE for K to land...kid isn’t a crazy athlete but his shot is pure and he can do so much on the court at around 6’4 210. Kids is so strong. I haven’t watched a ton on Max but I get that sense that he is purely a shooter I think Keels offers more. Would love to land either though. Duke is really Christie’s only big time offer outside of Mich St/Illinois/NW so I like our chances with him. I would hate to see Keels end up at UVA. I Just want to see K coach Big strong bully guard for once in a long time-when’s the last time K had a guy like that?! As mentioned above if Duke misses out on all 3 of Kennedy/Max/Keels...gotta think a possible reclass may be involved. And too of course one of Roach/DJ could be around for a 2nd year as well.

Can’t imagine a 2,3,4 of Keels/AJ/Pat holy shiiit! *Not to mention a stud 1 with a big-good luck! Long way to go in the whole recruiting process (I’ve read Max will be committing soon tho) but the 21 class is really good and really deep!!

Last edited:
Hopefully our two freshman guards are not one and done. They both seem pretty small. Maybe Roach, but that is 50/50 at this point. Might be hard to get big guard recruits with that uncertainty.

UT has as much if not more depth and talent at the guard position. They’ve got two 5* combo guards coming in to go along with Josiah James and two upperclassmen that had most of the minutes at PG last year. If Roach leaves, there is actually a much clearer path to starting PG at Duke than there is at UT.

Why a lot of us are scratching our head. Ever since Chandler announced he was transferring high schools and going Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas, things have gotten a little squirrely.

I may be in the few here....but I would honestly rather have Keels than Christie.

Keels is a bully I would LOVE for K to land...kid isn’t a crazy athlete but his shot is pure and he can do so much on the court at around 6’4 210. Kids is so strong. I haven’t watched a ton on Max but I get that sense that he is purely a shooter I think Keels offers more. Would love to land either though. Duke is really Christie’s only big time offer outside of Mich St/Illinois/NW so I like our chances with him. I would hate to see Keels end up at UVA. I Just want to see K coach Big strong bully guard for once in a long time-when’s the last time K had a guy like that?! As mentioned above if Duke misses out on all 3 of Kennedy/Max/Keels...gotta think a possible reclass may be involved. And too of course one of Roach/DJ could be around for a 2nd year as well.

Can’t imagine a 2,3,4 of Keels/AJ/Pat holy shiiit! *Not to mention a stud 1 with a big-good luck! Long way to go in the whole recruiting process (I’ve read Max will be committing soon tho) but the 21 class is really good and really deep!!

I’m with you on preferring Keels over Christie. Seen folks mention Kennard when comparing his game to a past Duke player. Reminds me more of Alex O’Connell.

I'm just hoping we get one. I really don't want us to roll out 4 freshman starters. That's why I wanted that transfer from Florida. We should get Coleman, Steward and maybe Brakefield back. Possibly Williams as well but who knows. And hopefully Baker is ready to be a starter by then.

I'm just hoping we get one. I really don't want us to roll out 4 freshman starters. That's why I wanted that transfer from Florida. We should get Coleman, Steward and maybe Brakefield back. Possibly Williams as well but who knows. And hopefully Baker is ready to be a starter by then.
Agreed. Please just 1 freshman starter at a time.

The 21-22 Duke team could very well be starting 4 freshman, and still be the heavy favorites to win it all, if we land Chandler/Banchero that is.

If we return some of the current freshman as sophomores, than I doubt we land all our recruits and maybe only start freshman Griffin (lock no matter what) and freshman Baldwin (should be coming and a lock to start not matter what.)

Agreed. Please just 1 freshman starter at a time.
Just one? The player we seem to have the best shot with right now is Baldwin. If we land him, it's hard to imagine he and Griffin not both starting. They are both absolute studs. This era is not over. Until rules are changed I expect that we will continue having a handful of Freshman starters every year.

I don't mind 2 or 3 but we ain't winning squat with 4. 2015 was lightning in a bottle. And we had 3 I think. Quinn and Matt started and Amile and MP3 played important roles.

Reactions: timritterus
Just one? The player we seem to have the best shot with right now is Baldwin. If we land him, it's hard to imagine he and Griffin not both starting. They are both absolute studs. This era is not over. Until rules are changed I expect that we will continue having a handful of Freshman starters every year.
You’re probably right. And yes, Baldwin is the guy I’m hoping for and was thinking of to start. Personally, I hope it’s senior Joey Baker starting at the other forward spot for us. Or maybe Moore or Hurt as juniors.

You’re probably right. And yes, Baldwin is the guy I’m hoping for and was thinking of to start. Personally, I hope it’s senior Joey Baker starting at the other forward spot for us. Or maybe Moore or Hurt as juniors.

I’m hoping the two starters returning will be a Sophomore Roach and Steward with Griffin, Baldwin, and either Williams or Charles Bediako at Center with the other one, Baker, Coleman and Brakefield coming off the bench. Still leaves us very thin at guard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT