ADVERTISEMENT

Matthew Hurt weighing 240 now?!?

Buzzooka Joe

Cameron Crazy
Feb 20, 2006
I just saw this on a Bleacher Report article.. Hirt has gained 26 pounds since March.. is there any video / pictures of him recently?

EDIT: I just saw some short video clips of him
practicing recently.. wow!

Interesting. I'd much rather hear that he gained twelve pounds and increased strength, power and conditioning. It's almost impossible for a basketball player to add 26 'good' pounds in five months

Interesting. I'd much rather hear that he gained twelve pounds and increased strength, power and conditioning. It's almost impossible for a basketball player to add 26 'good' pounds in five months
26 more pounds for another player to try to move

Reactions: geddoughton23
I'm glad to see the extra weight but I'll wait to see if he can get off his feet and move laterally. Hate to say it but I thought Hurt had a lot of physical limitations last year.

Reactions: geddoughton23
He gained at least twelve pounds and improved strength,power and conditioning. Now he dunks like Zion and shoots like Bird. Sound good

I'm glad to see the extra weight but I'll wait to see if he can get off his feet and move laterally. Hate to say it but I thought Hurt had a lot of physical limitations last year.
Exactly. Too often Hurt looked flat footed on defense and Offense. I am not saying he needs to be able to put his defender on skates, but at least be able to move well enough to make a back door cut.

I am excited though. Added weight good or bad will help hurt period. With consistent shooting looking for him to be deadly in pick and pop situations.

We have an odd roster next year when it comes to positions. What should be our 3 best players (Johnson, Moore, Hurt) are all forwards. I think we can get away with playing Wendell at the 2, JJ 3, and Hurt at 4 with a center...but we won't be putting out our 5 most talented guys when we do that, and K loves to play his 5 best players.

Hurt gaining weight is huge in that it can allow him to play the 5 position some. That really opens up the rest of the roster and will let us play lineups with more shooting. I think it's fairly obvious that our best offensive lineup will be something like....
Roach or Goldwire
Steward or Baker
Moore
Johnson
Hurt

Reactions: christophero
Hurt weighed in at 235 at Duke. Sorry don't have the link. Coleman 6-7 229, so not sold on him as our small ball center. People were rounding him up to 6-8 240.

GoDuke has the revised heights and weights. Steward and Roach average about 169 pounds each. Lucky that Cassius Winston used up his 8 years of eligibility because he's push these guys out into the parking lot.

GoDuke has the revised heights and weights. Steward and Roach average about 169 pounds each. Lucky that Cassius Winston used up his 8 years of eligibility because he's push these guys out into the parking lot.
Thank god they didn't allow seniors to play again...or else Winston would be back for a 9th year of using his off-arm to push off his defender when driving.

I hope the Champions Classic happens this year, we should beat MSU. The main reason I want it to happen is so that it ensures we play UK next year when we are gonna be absolutely loaded and can beat them by 30+ again.
Would kinda suck if it skips this year and we play MSU next year who could have Emoni Bates.

Playing Roach and Steward at the same time would be an awfully small and light backcourt. It think Moore sees a lot of time there, especially against larger shooting guards. I think he'll be a good defender at that position and has just enough handling skills. That would open the front court for Jalen, Hurt and Williams (or Baker, Brakefield and Tape).

If Moore plays the 2 Steward could get squeezed out of the rotation. Stranger things have happened. we do need the shooting so I imagine he'll get 20 minutes. Still, if he struggles with his shot...

If Moore plays the 2 Steward could get squeezed out of the rotation. Stranger things have happened. we do need the shooting so I imagine he'll get 20 minutes. Still, if he struggles with his shot...
Were gonna need Steward to hit 3's to be a final four caliber team. I think Steward is gonna be a total wildcard, can see him having games of 25-30 points, and also games of 2 points. Think Gary Trent JR but even more extreme.

Roach and Steward may be smallish, but so were Tyus and Quinn. And, we also used a lot of 3 guard lineups with Matt, who was certainly not a physical wing or freak athlete, to day the least.

Kind of like how that season finished up.

I wonder if these heights are measured without shoes like the NBA started doing last year?

Some other thoughts:

--Joey shrunk.
--Tape shrunk. Everything I saw had him at 6'10"
--Moore is very solid. He'll be the Swiss Army knife.
--Coleman is shortish for an inside player. Will have to work hard to compensate.
--It is a pretty well-balanced team. 4 guards will play including Moore; lots of flexibility in the front court, can play big or fast; realistically only 2 maybe 3 if Hurt has toughened up considerably can be considered Big Men.

Thoughts:

We knew Jeremy and DJ were very small and light both 6'1 175 and 6'2 163 is super light. I'm not sure why some on here feel like Roach is a for sure 2 year player while DJ is more than likely to go pro and be a 1 and done. Should be interesting...both are uber talented in their own ways. I think DJ will have to display some PG combo skills if he is to be a 1 and done. Having them both back for a soph year would with the incoming class would be really nice!

Moore and the swiss army knife....Joey is the prefect snipper for his team

Jalen up to 6'9 220 is awesome to see as well as Hurt obviously go to 235

While "only" being listed 6'7 230 Coleman still feels like he can find minutes with has hard as he plays...either as a small ball 5 or 4 with another big.

Mark is a man 7'0 243 as a true freshmen with 7'3 wingspan....I do wonder if Mark has what it takes to show enough in 1 year to get drafted

A lot of really good balance on this team....1-11 really good guys who can all ball! Many lineup options for coach K to use!!

Last edited:
I keep hearing that there are 4 starters and the 5th to be determined. Hurt, Johnson, Moore and Roach. Some believe K will insert William's so that Hurt is more free and DJ will be the 6th man. Also hearing good things about Brakefield being a combo forward type guy.

Not too much out there about Tape' or Coleman

I've never seen Steward play. Not even highlights. I believe that he is ranked about #25 in his class. So I agree with the poster above that it seems strange that a 6'2" shooting guard ranked #25 would be considered one-and-done. So I guess I'll watch some highlights, but feel free to tell me what I'm missing

I watched a few YouTube highlights. The#25 ranking looks reasonable. He is not very strong and has a low release point on his layups. He looks like a fine college prospect. I don't know more than the average fan... just my opinion from watching the highlights, I think that he is a fine college prospect who will never play a minute in the NBA

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT