ADVERTISEMENT

Marques Bolden, bring it big fella !

Showenuff

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2006
THIS is the guy I am actually most excited about. He REALLY showed flashes of greatness at the end of last season. I think he's gonna be awesome. His hustle improved big time as well. Ques seems to me to be the kind of kid that once his confidence catches up with his body, somebodys gonna get dunked on, blocked and posterized. I feel like he's going to really kick it up in the rebound department this year and THAT is the key to the kingdom. Keeping Duke out of the paint this year is gonna be one HELL of a tall order. Ques, Zion, RJ....oh my.

His size is already elite. Length, strength, he has that down. If he’s able to use it this season, the kid will be a monster. In high school, he started really improving during his junior season. I bet the same thing happens in college as well.

I think the light-bulb flicks on for Ques this year as well. He really showed signs in spurts last year, anyone remember how great he was at UNC?? And he finally shows why he was the best ranked center in the country for the 2016 recruiting class.

The roster fits perfectly for Ques. On offense, he isn't gonna be asked to do much more than crash the boards, and roll to the bucket constantly. Much like Marshall Plumlee on the 2016 team.
I think Ques has potential to be a beast on defense too, along with being our defensive leader. Always thought he was a tad better than Carter and Bagley on D last year, and he should be even better this year. His verticality (going straight up) on block attempts near the rim is perfect, he never fouls, and always goes straight up. He's excellent at defending the pick and roll too, he can hedge all the way out to the 3 point line.

BIG THINGS THIS YEAR FOR OUR BIG MAN.

Last edited:
I think the light-bulb flicks on for Ques this year as well. He really showed signs in spurts last year, anyone remember how great he was at UNC?? And he finally shows why he was the best ranked center in the country for the 2016 recruiting class.

The roster fits perfectly for Ques. On offense, he isn't gonna be asked to do much more than crash the boards, and roll to the bucket constantly. Much like Marshall Plumlee on the 2016 team.
I think Ques has potential to be a beast on defense too. Always thought he was a tad better than Carter and Bagley on D last year, and he should be even better this year. His verticality (going straight up) on block attempts near the rim is perfect, he never fouls, and always goes straight up. He's excellent at defending the pick and roll too, he can hedge all the way out to the 3 point line.

BIG THINGS THIS YEAR FOR OUR BIG MAN.

Bolden was better than Bagley on defense, that is true.

Yes, I remember the UNC game. He was 4-4 with 8 points, 2 boards, 1 assist, and 1 block.

I already think the light bulb started to turn on for him last year as he gave us some really productive minutes down the stretch of last season. If he didn’t have 2 top 10 picks ahead of him, we already may have seen his breakout season last year. I expect great things out of him this season.

I'm hoping a lot of bigs look at Clint Capella and Oakafor. Defense and rebounding get bigs big contracts.

I think of all the Duke players in history I want Bolden to not have a good year but a great year. He's been some what a target of this board since he's been at Duke. He's stuck it out. He did has not transferred. Not one negative word from him. We've had people analyze his body language, the way he holds his mouth, Which when I'm hurting I have a weird look on my face),he's lazy (when if I'm hurting I appear lazy) Now if Bolden does have a good year and gets up and down the court, blocks shots, get's O-boards and slams them down, gets some dunk assaults and just absolutely shuts down our oppositions biggies who on our team are we gonna verbally slam this year. OFC

Now if Bolden does have a good year and gets up and down the court, blocks shots, get's O-boards and slams them down, gets some dunk assaults and just absolutely shuts down our oppositions biggies who on our team are we gonna verbally slam this year. OFC

Sky ya gotta give us time buddy, we'll come up w/somebody! JK.......

OFC

Marques will be an elite center this year. He doesn’t have to play behind Carter or Bagley. It will be good to see him get 20 plus minutes a game this year. There are not that many centers next year in college basketball that will be as physically gifted as Marques.

If he stays healthy he will have a monster year.
He also has a nice elbow jumper that no one talks about and pretty good post moves.

He slimed down last year and he fits perfectly in the starting lineup. I could see him as a first round draft pick next year if he has a big year which he most likely will.

Sky ya gotta give us time buddy, we'll come up w/somebody! JK.......

OFC

LOL. I've been trying to figure out who the guys gonna be that guy this year. I'm also gonna be more aware of who looks mad on the bench, who has a smirk on his face, who doesn't jump up and go crazy every time a Duke player does something special. This is my goal this year to be more observant on what's going on with the players on the bench. I know this is an important aspect of Duke basketball as a fan. I've just haven't done a good job of it . I gotta watch for those tired legs also. How can you tell when that happens. Do they look like Lurch running up and down the court or do they just shuttle along. :D OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
How can you tell when that happens. Do they look like Lurch running up and down the court or do they just shuttle along. :D OFC

I always like to watch them when they are on the sides of the box when someone is shooting free throws. Do they look ready? Or bent over grabbing their knees and breathing heavy? Not completely a perfect science, but I think it's interesting to look for

Reactions: skysdad
I agree with an outlook of Bolden having a big year. I've said it a couple times before. I think he is going to surprise a lot of people. Especially players who have played against him before

I think of all the Duke players in history I want Bolden to not have a good year but a great year. He's been some what a target of this board since he's been at Duke. He's stuck it out. He did has not transferred. Not one negative word from him. We've had people analyze his body language, the way he holds his mouth, Which when I'm hurting I have a weird look on my face),he's lazy (when if I'm hurting I appear lazy) Now if Bolden does have a good year and gets up and down the court, blocks shots, get's O-boards and slams them down, gets some dunk assaults and just absolutely shuts down our oppositions biggies who on our team are we gonna verbally slam this year. OFC
It’ll be K if we don’t run the pick & roll :D

IMO but his main problem is that he has been injured every year at Duke which has affected his conditioning.He deserves to have a break healtwise this year.If he can stay healthy O think he is a fourteen and seven guy

IMO but his main problem is that he has been injured every year at Duke which has affected his conditioning.He deserves to have a break healtwise this year.If he can stay healthy O think he is a fourteen and seven guy
His injuries definitely set him back, especially freshman year. He was a stud prior to his injury before the first game. I’m not sure i see 14 ppg out of him but that would be awesome.

Reactions: jamsession3
Count me in as one who is pulling hard for Bolden. I hope he has a breakout year, and I think the roster sets up well for him to do just that!

Oh, and I forgot about that dunk by Duval at the 1:40 mark. Just nasty! :)

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I believe every Duke fan is really rooting for Bolden to have a great season. As highly touted as he was, he took somewhat of a backseat to Bagley, and stuck it out. A lot of kids wouldn't.
Had he transferred, I wouldn't have been upset at him. All Duke fans should be thankful he's still here.

After showing some signs of getting it together last season, I have to believe that Marques is going to build on that. I'm really proud of him, and I'm also excited that he can really help our Blue Devils go a long ways.

OFC

I agree with the comments above. So much talk about him being unhappy, wanting to transfer, ect. But at the end of the day it was all talk. This kid has worked his butt off, represented Duke with the upmost class, and deserves to have the captains title and his time to shine this year.

I think Marques can have a season similar to Boozer on the 01 title team. The teams are built pretty similarly as well (lack of experience aside). Tons of perimeter talent around a solid frontcourt. Multiple top 6 picks in the draft. Not going deep into the bench at all.

I agree with the comments above. So much talk about him being unhappy, wanting to transfer, ect. But at the end of the day it was all talk. This kid has worked his butt off, represented Duke with the upmost class, and deserves to have the captains title and his time to shine this year.

I think he was unhappy. I also think he took honest stock of the situation, as well as applying some realpolitik thinking.
He was unhappy because he hadn't been successful as a player. Part of that was bad luck wrt injuries, but part of that was because of his own level of play, hustle, expectations, etc.
And he was realistic. First, he realized what he needed to work on. He moved his feet every well on D down the stretch, and I think it has dawned on him that guys like Carter and Horford might be better targets than Oak or Anthony Davis (for different reasons). And he seems to be putting in the effort to play the way he needs to play for us, and him, to be successful.
From a more pessimistic POV, I think he cynically realized that leaving would have been foolish. First, the NBA didn't want him. So that was a non-starter. Next? Transfer is dicey. Transfers down often have the stink of failure about them, as though they couldn't hack it in a tougher situation. When a guy like Hood goes "up" it is one thing. But going down is dicey. Further, a transfer would mean a year not playing. Even further, he had to realize the situation is ideal for him next year at Duke. We'll play a 3.5 out and 1.5 in (Zion being a weird hybrid of outside and inside). We need him to be the anchor on D and to rebound. If Ques does well in that role, he'll be off the board by the mid 20s next year.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Marques, even as a junior and potential captain, probably has more question marks than most of the other guys on the roster. He also probably will have the best opportunity to answer them all.

He needs to become an efficient rebounder. That's the bottom line. He wasn't a great rebounder in high school, and he's been far below expectations there in college, too. The other area, IMO, is going to be focus. When he's focused, he can be a stout defender and above-average rebounder. Some players just have different mentalities....Marques needs to find that drive. If he does, Duke becomes a much, much better team.

Marques, even as a junior and potential captain, probably has more question marks than most of the other guys on the roster. He also probably will have the best opportunity to answer them all.

He needs to become an efficient rebounder. That's the bottom line. He wasn't a great rebounder in high school, and he's been far below expectations there in college, too. The other area, IMO, is going to be focus. When he's focused, he can be a stout defender and above-average rebounder. Some players just have different mentalities....Marques needs to find that drive. If he does, Duke becomes a much, much better team.

And this was a knock on him in HS. Frankly, his on court performance never really supported his ranking. But his size, length, and athleticism wowed scouts.
And, as you say, focus will be his main focus next year. Or it should be. If he'll hustle on D and try to rebound at a high level, or higher level at the least, he and we can be incredibly successful.

I’ll add this, the only thing that can hold a Bolden back is BOLDEN!

He has no one in front of him for playing time and he’s the most skilled true Big on Dukes roster.

If he really wants to shine this is his year

in the most recent practice video there was a point where a guy made a move to the basket outside the foul line and at first I thought, that was a guard. then when the play was over I saw it was ques. he looks in shape and impressive during that short clip of him

And this was a knock on him in HS. Frankly, his on court performance never really supported his ranking. But his size, length, and athleticism wowed scouts.
And, as you say, focus will be his main focus next year. Or it should be. If he'll hustle on D and try to rebound at a high level, or higher level at the least, he and we can be incredibly successful.

Bolden was Texas’s highschool player of the year in 2016 averaging over 23 points and 10 rebounds a game. His team won the Texas highschool 6A state basketball championship. If I was a scout that would impress me. It’s not like he was playing for a small school in Montana.

In contrast Mo Bamba averaged under 14 points and under 10 rebounds a game his senior year of highschool.

Bolden was Texas’s highschool player of the year in 2016 averaging over 23 points and 10 rebounds a game. His team won the Texas highschool 6A state basketball championship. If I was a scout that would impress me. It’s not like he was playing for a small school in Montana.

In contrast Mo Bamba averaged under 14 points and under 10 rebounds a game his senior year of highschool.

Mo Bamba played on a loaded HS team vs a national schedule. And, like Bolden, his on court performance STILL HAS NOT validated his ranking. But MB's (both of them) absurd measurements and genetic gifts meant they were ranked highly. It was all about upside potential.

The older and more experienced a player is, the less "upside" potential they have. Bolden has to start approaching his ceiling. For all his size and length, there are dozens of former players with nearly those same gifts.

I think the biggest thing for Bolden was that if he would transfer, he would have to sit out or lose a year. By staying at Duke, he would have a chance to jump to the NBA 1 year sooner... And seeing that he will be the primary post option had to be reassuring.

I want him to succeed and think he can and will if injury free. He just needs to see this year as a chance to work his butt off and show he can play up to his potential. If he does his job and anchors the post for Duke, he will have a chance to go to the NBA. His stats don't have to be off the charts, something like 10 and 8 with 2+ blocks would get the job done. They have a lot of scoring options and hopefully Zion and other get their share of the rebounds.

I'm in the camp that thinks Bolden will have a really nice game and a lot of hustle this year. I'll be really disappointed if I'm wrong

I think the biggest thing for Bolden was that if he would transfer, he would have to sit out or lose a year. By staying at Duke, he would have a chance to jump to the NBA 1 year sooner... And seeing that he will be the primary post option had to be reassuring.

I want him to succeed and think he can and will if injury free. He just needs to see this year as a chance to work his butt off and show he can play up to his potential. If he does his job and anchors the post for Duke, he will have a chance to go to the NBA. His stats don't have to be off the charts, something like 10 and 8 with 2+ blocks would get the job done. They have a lot of scoring options and hopefully Zion and other get their share of the rebounds.

That's a valid point. I agree. It would have hurt Bolden by transferring.. OFC

Bolden certainly is a key to this team going deep in terms of leadership, defensive communication, controlling the lane, and ability to score inside.

But, he still has a ways to go to get there. He flashed last year but certainly didn't show he had a big time game ... yet.

The last 5 games of the season he averaged 10 mpg, 2.67 pts, 2.2 rebounds.

The 6 regular season games prior to that were pretty solid but he still has a lot of improvement he's going to have to make if he's going to be a consistent starter who gets serious minutes (into the 20's plus)

Bolden doesn't come across to me as a guy will average close to double-digit rebounds. Maybe seven....maybe eight? Eight kind of seems high to me.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Bolden doesn't come across to me as a guy will average close to double-digit rebounds. Maybe seven....maybe eight? Eight kind of seems high to me.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

K has had some glowing praise for Javin this preseason as well, so MB probably isn't a 30 mpg guy or anything. But he has a great opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT